iRig KEYS Shipping! Ultra-portable universal MIDI controller for iPhone, iPad and Mac/PC

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
BMoore wrote:I'm sure Jordan Rudess did that video just out of his pure kidness and mind-blowing awe of this product.
Look, I get it - you're not an IK fan. I'm glad you have enough interest and time to weigh in on each of our threads and I already called it that there would be a reaction like this.

However, he really IS a fan of iRig KEYS, and he could have left it at the video (which was done when he first had it) but later also took it into the studio for no reason other than he wanted it there. He posted that picture and it surprised even us, as the video was generous of him to do for nothing - yes he can get excited about a number of products but he genuinely likes a lot and iRig KEYS is on that list apparently.

And yes, many do feel this product is that good and prefer it over the other options available. I know those that paint IK with the broad stroke of "I don't like them, therefore everything they make or do sucks" will always diss the product and anything we or others say about it but it is a great product and there are many that agree with this "out of pure kindess".
Oh my. Where to begin...

People report their problems, and you throw a "We paid Jordan Rudess to endorse our product, so we find it strange there is any problems with it" video. How f**king arrogant isn't that?!

And of course you will "call" a reaction like this. I've not used an iOS IKM product that didn't suck hard. And this is a fact.
And I've not seen so many complaints about products or the annoying "marketing" about any other companies on here.
The worst part is that you must be aware of it.

I also had an exchange with you a while ago, where you ridiculed me, and others, for pointing out to you that you could not get to the Sampletank manual with out registering first. You didn't know your product, and you didn't take your customers seriously.
You even pm'ed me your "excuse". Not willing to put that in public in that very thread. You have zero respect from me for that, and no credibility, and I see you still have zero respect for your customers. But no surprise there.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

I take our customers seriously, we didn't pay Jordan Rudess a dime, and I made a mistake on something so I apologize that I'm a human being who made a mistake. I hope that clears it up. Having respect for customers and standing up to those that take every opportunity to pick at us and/or me are two completely different things. They are also things I'm not going to debate over here any further.

P.S. I was simply "calling" the reactions over Jordan Rudess which came, predictably.

BMoore wrote: I've not used an iOS IKM product that didn't suck hard. And this is a fact.
Actually no, that's not a fact. It's an opinion. :D

347 are in, we should be good to hit at least one more goal soon and trending toward the third free one before the end if it keeps up. If it has the sharp rise at the end, we could get it all so if you want all these free instruments, spread the word! http://www.ikmultimedia.com/magnumvi

Just got the iRig KEYS today. It was a tough decision. I've been wanting a small keyboard I can take to Starbucks or sit outside and there are a number of choices. I finally concluded, for me, the iRig KEYS was the best fit for my needs. I was concerned I was going to need to buy a lightning/30-pin adapter, but the included USB cable works great with the lightning USB camera connection kit. Although I was a little disappointed the bag the cable was supposed to be in was ripped open and the cable was just floating freely inside the box.

Did some quick tests and all is working well. First tried Alchemy Mobile Pro and it worked great. Then tried SampleTank and iGrand. At first these didn't work. I had to remove the connection and reconnect to get those apps to finally work. The one thing that is a small problem for me is it seems the key has to return to being close to its normal position before it will play another note. When playing softer, I don't always let the key return before pressing it again as this helps in lowering the velocity. But I am finding the notes are not getting triggered when I do this. Perhaps it's a velocity setting, which I hope to try tomorrow.

Pretty cool so far. Looking forward to taking it outside now that spring is trying to arrive.

that video is the piano equivalent of 'fret wanking' ;-)

ive been looking for a simple ipad controller recently (i want to try Synthesia) and this is intriguing.

I'd thinking about a korg Microkey 37, or perhaps the 61 to get the free KORG suite of plugins.

but then theres this, with 2 free VI's. (ive already got a few so would have to go for the XL library and the full Miroslav)

decisions!!

I hope you go with iRig KEYS, let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for the input, iPlogger, I'm sure we can get you sorted if need be (and sorry about the cable, that's definitely odd).

I haven't updated the Group Buy here, so as stated by gamecat666 above we're at TWO free VI with 674 in now so we can hit the third with a teeny bit of effort/push here :) http://www.ikmultimedia.com/magnumvi/

gamecat666 wrote:I'd thinking about a korg Microkey 37, or perhaps the 61 to get the free KORG suite of plugins.

decisions!!
Yes. Decisions. I spent quite a bit of time looking over what was available until I narrowed down the features that will best fit my needs. The Korg was definitely an option I looked into, but it lacks any sort of sustain. Others in the mini category have sustain buttons, but the iRig has input for an actual sustain pedal which I prefer. The iRig also has other features I will use that the Korg is lacking (MIDI CC data controller, program change up/down, save slots). With the save slots I can set up MIDI channels for the four main iOS apps I use (Alchemy Mobile Pro, Magellan, iGrand, Sunrizer).

I had to look up Synthesia. Are you wanting to learn piano? If so, mini keys may not be the best thing. But you will definitely want a sustain pedal and at least 61 keys.

Check the Samson Carbon or Graphite keyboards. From $99.

Semi-weight. Program change. Sustain. Integrated iPad stand. Bundeled with Native Instruments Komplete Elements. Etc, etc.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Carbon49
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

iPlogger wrote:
I had to look up Synthesia. Are you wanting to learn piano? If so, mini keys may not be the best thing. But you will definitely want a sustain pedal and at least 61 keys.
cheers for the info!
regarding the piano, its not a serious thing. It'd be a nice skill to have but it's more of a fun diversion. (I quite enjoy playing Playstation 'Rock band' keyboards with the 25 key keytar which is pretty much the same thing as Synthesia)

I dont think i'd ever be playing with both hands so I dont need a huge octave range - i'd probably be happy enough playing short synth melodies with one hand.

@Bmoore, i'll check those out, thanks!

That definitely all factors in then, I'd think you'd also want more keys for learning but it doesn't seem so from your last post. You might want to get to a shop where you can try a few out and see which seems best for you.

With the camera connection kit and a cheap usb/midi interface you can use your rock and keytar.....
Instant human just add coffee

BiancaNeve wrote:With the camera connection kit and a cheap usb/midi interface you can use your rock and keytar.....
I use my Rock Band keyboard (I have two, in a kind of sad state of affairs I suppose) with iRig MIDI. I only use the strap and get my keytar on when I want to embarrass my daughter. :)

Am I missing something...?

I bought myself a nice little iRig Keys, for doing some very basic, experimental composing and goofing around with Synthesia.

I'm running a fully updated rig with Windows 7, 64bit. I do not have a fancy sound card or anything. I'm using the USB provided with the keyboard.

For the last 6 hours or so I've been trying desperately to get it to work. It plugs in. The computer recognizes that it's there. It pops up as 'iRig'. The LED on the keyboard turns on. Even Synthesia recognizes its there -- but when I try to use the keys to actually produce a sound? Nothing. The LED flickers a bit, but that's it.

I tried it on a relative's Mac Laptop, just to make sure it wasn't a faulty keyboard. Plug it in with the USB. Load up Synthesia. It works. Perfectly.

So, what gives? Why does it say it's compatible with PC (including Windows 7) when it's so counter-intuitive and obviously doesn't work? What can I do to get it to work?

So far I've done my best to make it so that I have a MIDI Synth running (not using the default synth) with a nice SoundFont, and I've gone into the registry to ensure the output is running through that Synth. Is there some sort of input thing I need to address?
I've been scouring the internet and I can't find anything. There is absolutely nothing addressing this on your website. It only lists portable OSes (iOS, Android) under where I can submit a support ticket for iRig Keys - no option for Windows 7.

Am I going to be able to use this with one of the OSes indicated on the box? Or do I have a $100 piece of junk on my hands that I can't use unless I purchase a $500 iPad?

I suspect you might be running into a MIDI Channel issue. The iRig Keys transmits notes on a single MIDI Channel. The instrument hooked up must be matched to the same MIDI Channel or be in what is called OMNI mode. By default, I think all of the programs on the iRig Keys are on MIDI Channel 1. So you will need to be sure your synth/plug-in is receiving on MIDI Channel 1. If not, you will not hear anything.

You can switch the MIDI Channel on the iRig Keys, but I don't recall offhand how to do that without having the iRig Keys in front of me. If you switch the iRig Keys to the MIDI Channel the synth is receiving, it should start playing the sound.

The iRig Keys is really nice and is pretty much plug n' play.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”