iRig KEYS Shipping! Ultra-portable universal MIDI controller for iPhone, iPad and Mac/PC

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That was actually a pretty helpful response, and makes sense.

I would like to know how to make it so that my synth/plug-in is receiving on MIDI Channel 1, though - and how to switch the MIDI Channel on the iRig Keys, alternatively.

Like I said, it worked on the Mac. So I know it's plug n' play on the Mac. Just not on my PC.

Switching the MIDI channel on the computer is application specific. It all depends on the application you are using as to how you change the MIDI channel. Someone else might be able to explain how to do this if you let us know which program you are using.

To change the MIDI channel on the iRig Keys, enter Edit mode by pressing both of the OCT buttons at the same time. Press the low D#/Eb key which states MIDI CH on top. Now press a key with a number above it to select the MIDI channel. Next press the very last key with ENTER/YES above it. You have now changed the MIDi channel.

The iRig Keys has four different programs called SETS. This change will only effect the current program SET. One thing I used to forget is to save the SET. Changing the SET is only temporary. If you switch to a different program SET you will lose your changes if you do not save it. To save the SET, hold the SET button for two seconds until the SET lights flash/blink.

I really like the iRig Keys. But I also mainly use it with the iPad. It has also worked very well when I use it with Windows machines. It has been a terrific investment for me. I get tons of use from it. In fact, I may even bring it to my daughter's dance competition today with hours of downtime as she dances one time for a few minutes.

Breeze wrote:I got the iRig Keys a couple of weeks ago and used it with my MBP as a USB keyboard for a time and it worked. I just plugged it in a few days ago into my iPad2 using the 30-pin cable and I was surprised that neither iGrand nor SampleTank would play when launched. I contacted IKM and opened a support ticket.

It turns out that every time I launch these apps I MUST disconnect and reconnect the 30-pin connector! I tried a whole bunch of apps and some, like Sunriser and Arctic Keys, will see and use iRig Keys on launch, no problem. Others like Animoog, see it but the user has to select iRig Keys as a MIDI input. Some others behave much like IKM's own apps, where iRig Keys has to be unplugged and replugged while the app is active and a connection is immediate, and still others require unplugging/replugging AND MIDI input selection to work.

Since it is possible for an app to open and auto-connect to iRig Keys, I would at least expect IKM's own apps to behave this way. Maybe this will come in later versions.

But these behaviors open up the larger question of why these behavioral variations exist at all. Is it because there's no uniformity of MIDI implementation? Actually, I'm also wondering if all iRig Keys work this way? It could be a firmware issue.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, a USB-CCK connection is more solid and I'm pretty sure none of these issues would occur. It's a little less convenient but a good workaround.

This discussion could merit its own thread, but I figured I'd start here.
This report is a year old. I received my iRig Keys this morning and plugged it into an iPad 2 running iOS 6.something. I had exactly the same problem. After some experimentation, I noticed that if I do NOT close the previous MIDI-aware app before starting a new one, it seems to work more smoothly. (After the new app launches and establishes its own MIDI connection, I can close the previous app.)

I haven't tested this enough to guarantee anything, but perhaps it will help someone else.

On the whole, I'm pleased so far. Previously I've tried three small-format keyboards (all manufactured by Numark/Akai/Ion) and this has the best feel by far.

In 2015, IKM announced the new USB only version of the iRig Keys, at a considerable lower price. I see this is compatible with mobile devices anyway, by using CCK for iOS and an optional cable for Android.
Considering that at the moment the White iRig Keys comes with lightning, micro USB, USB but no 30pin cable included (therefore no universal compatibility right out of the box), what's the point in choosing this over the Black one, if you know you only need 30pin and USB options?

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”