Surface 2013: good bye iPad?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mhog wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:I don't get it. It has been almost 3 years since some of the most wise prophets at KVR predicted the ultimate fall of the iPad. I immediately sold mine at that time, of course, and now almost three years after Apple announce the iPad Pro. How is this possible?
As far as I know 9" tablets market is currently in crisis (ipad included), due to the introduction of all these (effectively more) comfortable 5" smartphones. This could be an answer: they are trying to look for a new target or smth? At first Jobs said like "the ipad will always remain a 9" tablet, that is its ideal dimension, and nobody need a stylus".After some years they introduced the ipadmini, and now even the big pad ('"pro") with stylus, too... :?
jobs was job, cook is cook.

After 5 years i imagine Apple peoples think by themselves and follow their own vision based on a reality Job didn't know.

And i imagine also that 9" tablet are in the same situation of desktop/laptop computer : for the vast majority of peoples a 5" smartphones cover all their mailing / web / videogames needs.

Most peoples i know don't use photoshop, dont make music with computer, nor even use dayly something like word or excel.

I see exactly what can I do with ipad and see exactly what i could do with ipad pro, only because I make music on computer since 20 years (and 5 years on iOS) and only because I use dayly photoshop or word.

This is also the reason why some peoples buy a new smartphone each years and why mine is 5 years old when i already get 3 ipad during the last 5 years.
Win 11, UAD Octo satellite usb, Yamaha AG06 mk2, IK multimedia iLoud MTM x2, Ableton Live 11, Push 2, Reason 12, NI Komplete.

mhog wrote:At first Jobs said like "the ipad will always remain a 9" tablet, that is its ideal dimension, and nobody need a stylus". After some years they introduced the ipadmini, and now even the big pad ('"pro") with stylus, too... :?
Le roi est mort, vive le roi!

Apple is a publicly traded company, and the CEO's responsibility is to the stockholders. The marketplace has changed, technology has advanced. Jobs was right about what he said, when he said it, but that was then, not now.

I don't agree with some of Apple's "modern" decisions, like the abandoning of the 17" MacBook Pro (I would really like one), and I'm not sure the iPad Pro will be a commercial success. I also question the point of the watches. But I like that Apple is trying out new things and bringing us new tech. The Surface Pro does poorly as a tablet, and the 13" Android tablets didn't seem to go anywhere. Perhaps the iPad Pro will do better.

Surface was never going to replace iPad just like iPad Pro will never be able to replace Surface Pro. While there might be some overlap, they are completely different purpose devices with different target demographics. That being said, Apple has been losing market share with the iPad:

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/07/29/idc ... bers-q215/

I think iPad Pro will be a commercial success due to the ridiculous profit margin that thing will have. However, I don't think the sales numbers will be that high. I can only imagine a few niche markets in which it could be useful.

As for productivity on the go, $800 for simply a bigger screen? Even stylus and keyboard are optional accessories that adds to the overall cost that brings it closer to a Core i5 Surface Pro 3 territory. So, for people with real productivity needs, Surface Pro comes out as the better deal overall.
Last edited by SirKen on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirKen wrote:let's be honest, $800 for simply a bigger screen?
And the CPU/GPU is considerably faster than the one in the iPad Air 2. Important to you or not, I see no reason not to mention that.

T-CM11 wrote:
And the CPU/GPU is considerably faster than the one in the iPad Air 2. Important to you or not, I see no reason not to mention that.
Every iPad release pretty much kept the price point while improving the CPU/GPU. You are not going to tell me that it is somehow that different this time, are you?

SirKen wrote:So, for people with real productivity needs, Surface Pro comes out as the better deal overall.
Not with the poor battery life the SP3 has. 2.5 to 4 hours doesn't really cut it. I hope the SP4 will improve in that area (and also be quieter and cooler).

SirKen wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Every iPad release pretty much kept the price point while improving the CPU/GPU. You are not going to tell me that it is somehow that different this time, are you?
So the same price point but cheaper manufacturing makes sense to you, while increasing the price doesn't. :party:
Don't you know that a Pro label makes you more pro? Isn't that worth paying for?! :hihi:

Apple prices have always been high, you must accept it. They are high quality products, after all. I guess this is one of the reasons for so many "fanboys".

T-CM11 wrote:
SirKen wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
So the same price point but cheaper manufacturing makes sense to you, while increasing the price doesn't. :party:
It is their product, they are free to charge whatever they would like. Some people will accept and purchase it and some won't.

I fail to get your point though. Is there even an argument in there?

SirKen wrote:I fail to get your point though. Is there even an argument in there?
There's no argument, and that's my point! :D
Do you have a point, is there an argument in what you're saying? Is it time for a beer and some music making? 8)

mmmmmm....will Windows 10 tablets be the infamous iPad killer.....

Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

trimph1 wrote:mmmmmm....will Windows 10 tablets be the infamous iPad killer.....

who care about an OS without tactil apps ?

the only strong part of iOS is the existing apps and what you can do with it. not iOS in itself.

If third party dev release "pro" apps for the ipad pro, Apple wins over any other ms surface pro products.

That's all.

Apple could simply release logic pro on iOS to kill this discussion (wich might be possible with AU announcement)
Win 11, UAD Octo satellite usb, Yamaha AG06 mk2, IK multimedia iLoud MTM x2, Ableton Live 11, Push 2, Reason 12, NI Komplete.

Mivo wrote:
SirKen wrote:So, for people with real productivity needs, Surface Pro comes out as the better deal overall.
Not with the poor battery life the SP3 has. 2.5 to 4 hours doesn't really cut it. I hope the SP4 will improve in that area (and also be quieter and cooler).
Well this is total balls - I can happily get far more battery life than that from my Surface
9headshydra wrote:
trimph1 wrote:mmmmmm....will Windows 10 tablets be the infamous iPad killer.....

who care about an OS without tactil apps ?

the only strong part of iOS is the existing apps and what you can do with it. not iOS in itself.

If third party dev release "pro" apps for the ipad pro, Apple wins over any other ms surface pro products.

That's all.

Apple could simply release logic pro on iOS to kill this discussion (which might be possible with AU announcement)
This is true - alas a number of pro apps that they might wanted to move over are made by adobe - who I am 100% sure won't do apple any favours
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

9headshydra wrote: who care about an OS without tactil apps ?
Exactly, but SONAR is already "tactile", isn't it? Not that it helps that much, though, but anyway, what "pro" tactile apps do you have for iOS? Garage Band? :hihi:
9headshydra wrote: the only strong part of iOS is the existing apps and what you can do with it. not iOS in itself.
Yes, that's why I don't care about iOS (that and the ridiculous prices).
9headshydra wrote: If third party dev release "pro" apps for the ipad pro, Apple wins over any other ms surface pro products.

That's all.

Apple could simply release logic pro on iOS to kill this discussion (wich might be possible with AU announcement)
"IF" and "WHEN" this happens, we will talk about it :hihi: But I would like to see Logic Pro with all the bells and whistles running in an iPad Pro :D Is it even touch ready? :hihi: And what has Logic Pro have to do with Audio Units? Do you even know what it is? Are you aware that Logic Pro DOESN'T have any AUs included?

And all this buzz about AUs... Apple didn't even have released any AUs for sale, EVER. The only ones they did are those that come with Mac OS X, which are nothing to make trumpets sound, BTW (some are OK, others completely forgetable, and all dating back to OS X 10.2).
Last edited by fmr on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

"Exactly, but SONAR is already "tactile", isn't it? "

asio drivers also I suppose.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”