Trading promo codes

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Is there a "market" for this, generally?

This just hit me, as I've just got a promo code for JamUp Pro. I'm not a guitarist, so I really don't have a need for JamUp, although it's a fantastic product.

And I'm currently (always) looking at other apps, and are willing to trade for Auria, or maybe even PPG WaveGenerator and full blown Sampletank. I would also consider other offers.

So if you have a promo code for something YOU don't need, and are looking for or are curious about JamUp, this is for you.

But I don't know how to complete such trades without being subject to scams, if there are legal or other issues, or if this there is a huge need or market for this. So maybe the whole idea of trading promo codes you don't need is futile.
Just putting it out there.

Edit: promo code is gone.
Last edited by BMoore on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

"A promo says what?" Sorry, sort of an old Saturday Night Live joke?

I don't see what would be wrong with exchanging codes as long as they are a one time only code like the DAW codes were. Use them once and they are gone.

Just my opinion.

Shawn

as a developer i would be pissed off ... ai mean, for iOS apps it is like you can give away 50 promo codes per version or so. So, if I give one of those codes to a person - I give it to that person and It might not be in my interested that this code and therefore a free version if my product gets to someone to whom I do not want to give a free version but who of course is free to pay for the use.

Another thought about an exchange - AFAIK those codes are have time limited validity - they expire.

best

steff3 wrote:as a developer i would be pissed off ... ai mean, for iOS apps it is like you can give away 50 promo codes per version or so. So, if I give one of those codes to a person - I give it to that person and It might not be in my interested that this code and therefore a free version if my product gets to someone to whom I do not want to give a free version but who of course is free to pay for the use.

Another thought about an exchange - AFAIK those codes are have time limited validity - they expire.

best
Well, thats's just one scenario.
There are a bunch of ways to win a code to an app, and if I want to trade it or use it, is really up to me.
It would be better for the app, and the developer, to trade the app to someone with an actuall need.
Even developers might be interested in a trade. I just don't see the "pissed off" bit in these situations.

They expire. So what?! The validity could be checked, or trades could be done quickly.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

So. No interest in this I guess.

Last chance before I just use it myself.

I wish I had something to trade. You'll like jam up though. I have the free version and purchased the bass amps, it has been valuable for learning songs at gigs or on the way to gigs if I'm a passenger. I use it to practice at home as well.

It seems like a really good app, but I'm not a guitarist.

It works for bass too. Anything actually. The stomp box emulations are awesome. Ive run synths through stomps since the 80's. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

If its cool with the developers I might have a vst plugin or something to trade if you really don't use it. I don't have the guitar amps or effects and they'd be useful. I almost bought the "pro bundle iap" last night, but decided to wait until the AM, and the sale ended... $20 is still worth it and I'll get it someday. anyway, enough of my rambling.

steff3 wrote:as a developer i would be pissed off [...] if I give one of those codes to a person - I give it to that person
Shouldn't that (the non-transferability, aka "NFR") be stated in the accompanying legal small prints then? If not, the dev has no reason to complain.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Well, jamup pro went on sale for 4.99 last night, so I got it.

BMoore wrote:So. No interest in this I guess.
I'm interested in getting this app, but I don't have any promo codes to trade. What other things might you be interested in?

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

steff3 wrote:as a developer i would be pissed off ... ai mean, for iOS apps it is like you can give away 50 promo codes per version or so. So, if I give one of those codes to a person - I give it to that person and It might not be in my interested that this code and therefore a free version if my product gets to someone to whom I do not want to give a free version but who of course is free to pay for the use.

best
Hmmmm. Not sure I follow the logic here. You have a limited number of promotional codes that you give away as a "promotion." You are trying to generate some buzz or interest in your product by sprinkling it among users that you think might be inclined to use, like, and spread positive vibes to other potential paying customers.

But in a few cases, you guess wrong. It goes to someone who has no interest in your product whatsoever. Couldn't care less. Won't ever use it, let alone talk about it.

But wait! All is not lost. Turns out, at least one disinterested guy is a member of a music forum with 800,000 users. He posts about swapping the product for something else he can use. Starts a thread and mentions the product. Others chime in and mention the product too. Still others see this, BUY the product, and post about that.

And the original promotional? Well, maybe he does wind up swapping it and the freebie winds up with someone who really appreciates it and likes it. And, most likely, that individual will not keep his new found joy to himself.

All in all, not a bad promotional day for the dev.

YMMV of course.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

audiojunkie wrote:
BMoore wrote:So. No interest in this I guess.
I'm interested in getting this app, but I don't have any promo codes to trade. What other things might you be interested in?

--Sean
Sorry mate. Too late.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”