New Android DAW Controller - Now available on Google Play

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've uploaded a new version of the app on Google Play. Hopefully, this version will shed some light on why it's not running on some phones.

I still can't duplicate that problem, but I believe it might be because WIFI isn't enabled on the phone. If that's the case, then you should see a popup message saying that the WIFI is not enabled. Previously, the app would popup a message and then terminate right away if WIFI wasn't enabled (dumb mistake on my part).

Mark

I doubt that I will add the layout editor directly to the app. The thought of designing a layout on a phone scares me!! lol! But that's strictly my opinion :)

Once I get these other issues resolved and other requests completed, I probably will create a web-based editor since I don't see a mac in my future :(

Mark

moss wrote:
mderrico wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:are you thinking of a layout editor for mac also ??
If someeone wants to give me a mac, I'd be more than happy to create a mac editor lol!!
Seriously though, I would create a mac version if I could get access to a mac.
At first I was thinking why not simply write it in Java? But then: Why not directly build it in the app (which is Java as well)?

Mark, this is really a great app. The editor is still a bit rough around the edges but it's functional and I managed to make a decent template in half an hour. I'll post a pic of my ugly template, but you've helped me achieve more than any other OSC/touch interface developer has so far. Nothing's aligned or anything, I just wanted a proof of concept to see if it would run:

And running it into Live was the smoothest I've ever had I think. Smoother than my PCR300 and certainly a lot smoother and lighter on my system than the MAX/MSP that some devs wrap their translators in. I humbly bow to thee. :D

I'm having a hard time mapping X values of XY pads though. It seems that the app always sends X and then Y info, even if only X has changed. The Y then always overwrites the X in my DAW. It's primarily a shortcoming of Live's lame midi mapping abilities of course but I don't know how necessary it is to send the unchanged Y value, or whether you could reverse the order so the unchanged value is always sent first.

I'm realizing that it may be easier to make just a rough layout in the editor and then edit the text file for the nitty gritties like midi CC number assignments, names etc. That was a lot of tedious back and forth in the editor but it's a snap in the text file, and if you have a decent code editor on your phone/tablet you can even do the fine tuning right there. Great design.

wasi wrote:I'm having a hard time mapping X values of XY pads though. It seems that the app always sends X and then Y info, even if only X has changed. The Y then always overwrites the X in my DAW. It's primarily a shortcoming of Live's lame midi mapping abilities of course but I don't know how necessary it is to send the unchanged Y value, or whether you could reverse the order so the unchanged value is always sent first.
Thanks for kind words! :)

Yeah, the editor has a few small rough edges right now, but it'll get refined over the next few weeks.

As for the X-Y Pad, how do you manage to move it along the X-axis without changing the Y value??? lol!! Yeah, right now, it always sends the X value, then the Y value, even if only one value has changed. I'll try to change this this weekend.

What language is the editor written in?

If it ports easily, I can run it through xcode over here and supply a DMG package for the Mac people. That is, if you trust another dev with your code. :wink:

Thanks for the offer!

I'll hold off for now because of the following:
The editor is constantly getting changed (practically daily)
At this point in time, I'd rather not give out any of my source code (no offense :) )

I do have two questions for anybody:

Don't Macs have a PC emulator that's free (Virtual PC, I think)? (I'm very Mac-illiterate, so don't laugh at me too hard!)

How many Mac users actually use an android device? (I'm REALLY curious about that!)

SingleCell wrote:What language is the editor written in?

If it ports easily, I can run it through xcode over here and supply a DMG package for the Mac people. That is, if you trust another dev with your code. :wink:

Ok, a quick search and I found this for macs:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

It's a free Windows emulator for Macs.

Does anyone know if really works? It seems to be popular. If it does work well, I'll mention it on my website.

mderrico wrote:Ok, a quick search and I found this for macs:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

It's a free Windows emulator for Macs.

Does anyone know if really works? It seems to be popular. If it does work well, I'll mention it on my website.
You'd still need a Windows license I believe. I'd run Ubuntu or so in a virtualbox and try it with Wine.

Does it matter what oder the controllers are listed in the text file? Because if not, it's frankly such a clear format that you can just sketch it out on paper and copy paste what you need from the 'All Controllers' template and then do your fine tuning on the tablet itself.

If you've set the template in DAWOSC and exit the app to edit it, it doesn't need to be re-loaded. You can go back and forth really quickly. I use DroidEdit, which is a tabbed editor and RealColors to extract the colors from a pic.

wasi wrote:Does it matter what oder the controllers are listed in the text file? Because if not, it's frankly such a clear format that you can just sketch it out on paper and copy paste what you need from the 'All Controllers' template and then do your fine tuning on the tablet itself.

If you've set the template in DAWOSC and exit the app to edit it, it doesn't need to be re-loaded. You can go back and forth really quickly. I use DroidEdit, which is a tabbed editor and RealColors to extract the colors from a pic.
Nope, it doesn't matter at all what order the controllers are in. And thanks for the tip about editing the layout files using Droidedit :) I'll have to check that app out!

wasi wrote:I'm having a hard time mapping X values of XY pads though. It seems that the app always sends X and then Y info, even if only X has changed. The Y then always overwrites the X in my DAW. It's primarily a shortcoming of Live's lame midi mapping abilities of course but I don't know how necessary it is to send the unchanged Y value, or whether you could reverse the order so the unchanged value is always sent first.
This is now implemented. X and Y values are only sent if they change. The app is now updated on Google Play.

Enjoy!

Mark

mderrico wrote:
This is now implemented. X and Y values are only sent if they change. The app is now updated on Google Play.

Enjoy!

Mark
:hail:

Seriously man. Thanks.

I mean, I'm literally designing control surfaces on a whim now (like long slim XY pads as 'expressive' faders or whatever).

great - Im assuming I could use my upcoming Nexus 7 to control a Dave Smith Tetra is I made a map for it using MIDI CC?
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

I get nothing on the screen. Whats Up?? What Template am I supposed to be loading?

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”