Audiobus

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
SLiC wrote:Just for balance....working great for me on an ipad 3 and very useful, it's only just launched, give it time. It's only as good as e end DAW (and looper isn't ideal...), once we get descent DAWs at the end it will be very useful.
:tu:

Only had time for a quick test on iPad 3 but so far seems to work really well. No crashes. Does exactly what it says it will do (although I only have Loopy HD to record output). Audio was bit jitter with some app combinations, probably related to app buffer settings.

I reckon this app is a MAJOR improvement to iOS workflow. Let's hope more apps provide support in the near future.

Ability to save Audiobus configurations would be nice too - nothing very obvious on the GUI, maybe I missed it.

Peace,
Andy.
What's your MAJOR improvement in workflow?
I found it to be a pain in the a** recording to either Loopy or M DAW, because you can't time, sync, or clock the recordings. And trying to enable a click from, let's say Sunrizer, records the click too. Still you have to time it.
Editing, cutting, and lining up the audio post recording is a MAJOR pita, or just not possible.

ACP works better imo.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Last edited by lofty on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Audiobus is working fine for me, and as a dev, I'm pretty psyched. A few years ago (about two), everyone was bitching about a lack of decent MIDI on iOS, and only a handful of apps were doing anything. In short order, there were lots of updates and new apps, and it's now a vibrant community.

I think the same thing is going to happen with Audiobus. I'm working on code to add it to my apps, and I'm sure a bunch of other devs are doing the same. The SDK is brilliant, and what Michael and Sebastian have done is awesome. Before their work, all the apps were little sound islands; there's a bridge now, which is really useful.

The negativity here is downright freaky.
Patrick H. Madden/Secret Base Design

IMHO "ACP" is a major PITA. Yeah it works, but no one should have to go through that to get audio from one app to another. This isn't the fault of the ACP developers - just a situation that occurred due to necessity. It's a hack workaround for a problem that needs a proper solution.

I think Audiobus is a good contender to be that solution, but agree it needs some refinement. Ability to sync or record on first note would be useful. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good for v1.0.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Last edited by lofty on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
IMHO "ACP" is a major PITA. Yeah it works, but no one should have to go through that to get audio from one app to another. This isn't the fault of the ACP developers - just a situation that occurred due to necessity. It's a hack workaround for a problem that needs a proper solution.

I think Audiobus is a good contender to be that solution, but agree it needs some refinement. Ability to sync or record on first note would be useful. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good for v1.0.

Peace,
Andy.
You didn't answer my question.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

To all users having problems with Audiobus:

If you're having problems please check out our awesome support page.

http://audiob.us/support

We can't persistently patrol this forum for bug reports.

That being said: If you're encountering 25 crashes, please delete all apps in question. Reboot your iDevice. Install the apps again.

If MultiTrack is not working as an output in your iPad that's because Apple has not update the binary on their servers yet and is still supplying users with an older version (which sucks, but which we can't do anything about).

We're not leaving you alone, there's a whole bunch of people answering questions on the Audiobus forums right now: http://forum.audiob.us/

Thank you,

Sebastian

BMoore wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:

Peace,
Andy.
It was implied, given the functionality of Audiobus.

Getting audio from one app to another using what are basically virtual pipes is far better (IMHO) than screwing around with copy / paste, saving fake files, opening dialogs, etc. At least that's my experience. YMMV, and clearly it does.

Peace,.
Andy.
... space is the place ...

lofty wrote:maybe it does just need the fanciest ipad or an iphone5 already - then why the fark not say that upfront!!!! gggrrrrR!!!!
It's in the app description. We explicitly state that we recommend iPhone 4s, iPad 2 or newer devices.

There is no way for a developer to keep people with older devices from downloading their apps since iTunes does not check for any sort of hardware and other ways (requiring a camera, requiring iOS 5/6) don't really work since they either shut out not enough people or they circumvent it (iTunes again).

Why would we want to "scam" anyone? Please understand that a scathing review and a 1 star rating hurts developers like us a lot more than the 10 bucks we might gain through 'tricking' a user.

We have no interest AT ALL in disappointed users.

If you want this to stop, please petition Apple to give developers better ways to protect users from misinvestments.

//Sebastian

Lofty also make sure all other apps are closed in the background (dbl click home button)
Might help..

ZenPunkHippy wrote:
BMoore wrote:
ZenPunkHippy wrote:

Peace,
Andy.
It was implied, given the functionality of Audiobus.

Getting audio from one app to another using what are basically virtual pipes is far better (IMHO) than screwing around with copy / paste, saving fake files, opening dialogs, etc. At least that's my experience. YMMV, and clearly it does.

Peace,.
Andy.
You're answering like you've not even used it.
Oh well. Preaching to the choir I guess.

I notice on their forum drumjam thumbjam and glitch breaks are all available to use soon.. Look forward to that!

fessaboy wrote:Audiobus is working fine for me, and as a dev, I'm pretty psyched. A few years ago (about two), everyone was bitching about a lack of decent MIDI on iOS, and only a handful of apps were doing anything. In short order, there were lots of updates and new apps, and it's now a vibrant community.

I think the same thing is going to happen with Audiobus. I'm working on code to add it to my apps, and I'm sure a bunch of other devs are doing the same. The SDK is brilliant, and what Michael and Sebastian have done is awesome. Before their work, all the apps were little sound islands; there's a bridge now, which is really useful.

The negativity here is downright freaky.
Would love to see a stripped down version of Midi control midi player at one end links to synths going into audiobus one per channel
And then controlling the output device in AB to start recording as soon as the midi file starts playing

As for the negativity I guess it's more just frustration and disappointment, I'm sure it will get better but for now it's kind of a damp squib I think
Instant human just add coffee

Last edited by lofty on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

The negativity seems like it is only coming from one person, lofty, who failed to read the description before purchasing the software and is using a 3 year old phone (iPhone 4).

Personally, I installed it on an iPad 4 and it works great so far. In my limited testing I took SoundPrism Pro as a MIDI interface, chained it into Nlog Pro as a synth, and recorded some loops in Loopy HD. Everything just worked. Be sure to turn on the metronome in Loopy HD so you can hear a click track.

I also tried using Rebirth as a source but I couldn't get it to play - pressed play in the app and it lit up green but wouldn't play - maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I would really like to try Sunrizer as that is my favorite synth, however, I haven't seen the update appear in the store yet.

There are bound to be a few problems. Obviously the Audiobus guys have no control over how stable each and every application is. What they have done here though is remarkable. They delivered on their promises and have a great set of starting applications right out the door. I'm sure everyone will jump on the Audiobus soon and it will become a standard.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”