Poll: Best current iOS sampler and why it is the best

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk

What do you think is the best sampler for classic sampling for iOS

Poll ended at Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:40 pm

The sampler built into Beatmaker 2
31%
Thumbjam's built-in sampler
No votes
The sampler built into Meteor (in app purchase)
No votes
Sir Sampleton
No votes
Samplewiz
No votes
Bismark BS-16i (more a sample player, but.....)
No votes
Samplr
46%
Other (please identify sampler and why it is your favorite)
8%
Fish (For those who read the thread but don't care)
15%

Total votes: 13

RELATED
PRODUCTS

~Pd~ wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:I found a really cool review of Samplr & Samplewiz that shows some of the cooler aspects of both samplers. Check this out:

http://discchord.com/blog/2012/11/19/sa ... lewiz.html

Both of these apps need to get Audiobus. :-)

--Sean
I'd expect Samplr will get it first, Samplewiz never. I like Samplewiz but Jordan almost never updates his apps. Still waiting for an update for Morphwiz to improve the latency, but not holding my breath. I was talking to the Samplewiz dev a while back about adding a few simple features that would make it more like Samplr, but again, not holding my breath.

For MPC type functionality I don't think you can beat BM2. I like to turn on beat repeat, add a bit of swing, and just jam out on it... pretty much nothing else on iPad tickles and excites me as much, except the MIDI and OSC control surfaces.
Yeah, it really is unfortunate about samplewiz. I suspect you are correct. Samplr is great as a performance synth, and would be even better with just a couple of additions:

1. In Keyboard mode, it would be nice to have sample looping/crossfading.

2. It will be essential to have audiobus. It NEEDS this to be anything other than a performance instrument or sound toy.

As for Beatmaker 2, I think you are correct. It is probably the best for sampling in the classical sampling sense, and unparalleled in the MPC sense.

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote:1. In Keyboard mode, it would be nice to have sample looping/crossfading.
That'd be nice, and also different filter modes or a beefier sounding filter.

~Pd~ wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:1. In Keyboard mode, it would be nice to have sample looping/crossfading.
That'd be nice, and also different filter modes or a beefier sounding filter.
Agreed! :-)

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Old thread, new question. ;)

How can I import my own samples into Samplr? I did google, but to no avail. Anyone?

putte wrote:Old thread, new question. ;)

How can I import my own samples into Samplr? I did google, but to no avail. Anyone?
You can use AudioCopy/Paste, or record into Samplr via Audiobus.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Ah, thanks BMoore.

Is there any chance to import from iTunes or samples I imported via i Tunes to my iPad?

BM 2 also for me. I dropped about 17 GB worth of samples into the app. Easiest sample arrangement app on iOS.

Samplr is fun, but doesn't fall in the same league as BM 2. If you want to mangle the sample live, then Samplr is the way to go, for triggering live, BM 2 is the best and easiest I found so far.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Had another look at Samplr and its Import-functions. I really can't belive that I'm not able to simply import something via i Tunes. Really strange, isn't it?

Okay, with Samplr one CAN import via iTunes, as the app enables file-transfer via computer an iPad. Yay! :)

putte wrote:Okay, with Samplr one CAN import via iTunes, as the app enables file-transfer via computer an iPad. Yay! :)
Also Audiobus enabled when you want to mangle your sample live into a track or even pre-record some sample twisting and play right into another app.

It's got some crazy potential for twisting samples up.

:D
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

putte wrote:Okay, with Samplr one CAN import via iTunes, as the app enables file-transfer via computer an iPad. Yay! :)
Cool. I didn't know that. But i think most apps do it that way. I almost never transfer fsamples from a computer.

Here's how, for anyone wondering:

How can I load my own samples?
To import your own samples connect your iPad to iTunes and go to "Apps" > "Samplr Documents". Here is explained how.
Only WAV of AIFF files are supported.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

What about Nano Studio?
Nano Studio has one of the most powerful Sampler engines around.
it's every bit as good as Beatmaker if not bettter..

give pc a chance wrote:What about Nano Studio?
Nano Studio has one of the most powerful Sampler engines around.
it's every bit as good as Beatmaker if not bettter..
Nano studio's sampler is good, but stopped using it completely after getting used to BM2. NS had no banks and no auto-loop.

I don't even use the sequencer on BM2 very often. I can set everything up with auto-loop pads and choke groups and just play complete songs triggering live. NS can't do that. Or any other sampler on IOS. Geist can't even do that. Ableton live can do that on PC and Mac on the clip options. BM2 doesn't layer sounds on pads though, otherwise very much like MPC. Quantize works on live triggering too without sequencer. Pad timing is easy.

Bonus - Geist midi maps I made for Korg padKontrol map out same as BM2. One map for both programs. In BM2 gives quick access to 16 pads x 8 banks, Geist same 16 pads x 8 engines.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Anything new in the iPad "sampler" arena.

I just bumped into Samplr at the Computer Music mag.
BTW http://www.sampplr.com
Looks very interesting.

I noticed this tread with the latest post being
5 months old and hope the participants still
have interest on this subject.

I have the IconnectMIDI2+
http://www.iconnectivity.com/iConnectMIDI2plus
which is CoreMidi compatible.
will this and the other iPad "Samplers" work in
my studio setup?

As an update: Thumbjam's getting sampling updates that should make it a very good sampler. The first of two major updates is coming very, very soon. :-)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”