Akai iMPC released

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://akaiprompc.com/impc

And from the reviews so far, pass it by.

Beatmaker 2 seems to kill it,
Last edited by topaz on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looks pretty cool..but I don't see any virtual midi.

or midi at all...

yeah,thats what the big players are very good at:they all have fantastic grafic designer but lacking important features while they want to have more money compared to similar apps (hello korg) :)

you want a much cheaper MPC with Midi (but without the akai logo)?

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/beat-ma ... 25861?mt=8

Yep, no MIDI to be seen at all, no AudioBus and therefore no money from me I'm afraid...

It's from Retronyms so I suspect it will be 4/4 only like Tabletop, no different length patterns.

I hope I'm wrong!

It's really awful, do not waste your money on this garbage.

no sequence edit - not even sequence list view
no chop shop
sampling should have wave view with scub more and builtin chop shop
load legacy MPC kits is a must

i

Tabletop update was released and announced iMPC in-app purchase available.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:Tabletop update was released and announced iMPC in-app purchase available.
Tabletop is free. If you buy iMpc, the in app version for tabletop is free AND in Tabletop the new timeline feature is a Step Sequencer for every device. There is a sequence button on impc that flips the device to reveal a grid with a row for each drum sample. It's cooler than the critics would have you believe. Oh, and its $7.00.

You seriously still bitching?

:cry:

Great scratch pad for musical ideas. Not perfect but a useful and inexpensive tool.

trevorhor wrote: Not perfect but a useful and inexpensive tool.
like a LOT of other apps.So,theres competition out there...i don't see the point why we shouldn't compare this sampler to others out there.Because it has an akai logo?No"bitching",just not as good as others.and that's an introductory price btw.

And Tabletop is too much of a rip of for my taste,but thats another story...

trevorhor wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:Tabletop update was released and announced iMPC in-app purchase available.
Tabletop is free. If you buy iMpc, the in app version for tabletop is free AND in Tabletop the new timeline feature is a Step Sequencer for every device. There is a sequence button on impc that flips the device to reveal a grid with a row for each drum sample. It's cooler than the critics would have you believe. Oh, and its $7.00.

Great scratch pad for musical ideas. Not perfect but a useful and inexpensive tool.
The sequence button you mention to flip and see grid is just on the tabletop version is that correct?.. I can't find it otherwise..
I am actually enjoying playing around with this.. A bit limited in someways but that's ok with me, it has some cool sounds and fun to jam on.

Yes, I was mistaken about in-app purchase. If you purchase the app standalone, then it is available in tabletop. This is very cool! Now if I could ever wrap my head around tabletops workflow I would be happy. The tabletop 4000 synth is really capable of designing some useful sounds. Combined with iMPC and some other tabletop features, this would be amazing, but I can't give it the chance yet because of the workflow curve.

I am now a diehard Beatmaker 2 fan and nothing out comes close to Beatmaker 2's drum sampler with 8 banks, editing, boundary setting, auto loop that can be quantized...in fact, you can have live quantized pad behavior like Ableton clips, but the quantize is global, not per pad. The effects bussing is easy. Choke groups are available.

Drum machine sampler makers take a hint. Auto loop with many available timing options is the best thing for live play ever.

As far as sounds and virtual pad feel, transport, repeat, fx, etc. the iMPC is really cool. For a $7 introductory and integration in tabletop, it's pretty flippin cool.

I wish the app makers and Apple would get together to make a universally accessible sample library directory. I don't use iTunes at all and just use iCloud. My 20GB of samples is accessible only to Beatmaker 2. Sure would like it if I can keep it out of iTunes and not have to double store sample libraries so two apps can get to them....

Under the wrench icon I can see midi support, so I guess I need to try it out with my padKontrol, but it looks like it sees inputs so far. I'll post here if I can get some virtual midi or routing to accept input of external controller.

Where is the pad layering? I don't see that feature either yet. I'll keep digging because maybe I'm missing things from initial impression and tryout.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Played and recorded a bit more.. I like it's immediacy , it's quick to get a beat together, no fuss.. The 16 levels function is handy(basically varies the current selected pad/sound across the whole 16 pads so you can play/ record- pitched/filtered/volume/length variations of that sound).. And also beat repeat for a bit of machine gun action..

There's no need for MIDI.
If I wanted that I'd use iDrum, Ultrabeat, Nerve, etc... in Logic.
The fact you can export to a WAV, not an MP3 and adjust the BPM to create another export at a slower BPM so there's no artifacts on the audio.

Audio-To-MIDI of an iMPC beat filtered thru customized Logic 9 Environment macros.
Love the iMPC, I mean, for $7 cmon...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR5Rp4MpnH8

trevorhor wrote:

When did tabletop become free? I paid for that app and all the in-app purchases to make it usable. Have the App Store receipts.

I like that tabletop plans on integration for all their new stuff, but I wonder what the real price of iMPC is going to be after introductory pricing goes away. Buy it now while its $7. I'm sure they will be updating it with more features in the future. I'm sure glad I jumped on Animoog at intro prices. That was a whopper of an increase later on.

It's pretty fun for a $7 MPC app. Has some good sounds already too. I'll give the step sequencer in Tabletop a try. After playing around with standalone app, I thought it needed a step sequencer anyway.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Tabletop became free April 19th.

But constructing a whole tune, or even an 8 bar beat up in this mofo is a real biatch.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”