iRig HD (and some other products, announced and unannounced) on Display at CES 2013

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Exactly - if it works with PC, it would not have monitoring (or would need some sort of hack to make that work, if at all). Thanks, wildzeke for elaborating it quite eloquently.

wildzeke wrote: With PCs (Windows), you can only select one audio device at a time.
Actually, with ASIO4ALL you can use multiple devices.

diggler wrote:What is the latency and is it made in China? I know the music software I have tried for ipad is watered down compared to what you can do on a laptop are we going backwards with technology?

Also just my two cents but amp simulators never sound like the real thing because they are simulators. If you want the real deal buy an American hand made amp. If you are gonna carry around a guitar it is just as easy to bring a small amp with you.

Jimmy Hendrix used hand made British and American amps and guitars so should we.
Your two cents aren't really relevant to this thread. I don't think Peter was saying "buy this device; it'll make your iPad sound like a raging $2000 USA-made amp".

I'm pretty sure no one's under the false impression that software amp modeling is immediately ready to replace real tube amps. I know I'm not.

As for "if you are gonna carry around a guitar it is just as easy to bring a small amp with you" actually, no, it's not. My iPad (which I carry with me anyway) weighs less, and is smaller than pretty much any amp. It's also cheaper than any amp that actually sounds good. It's also silent with headphones. It's also more than just an amp modeler.

And just because someone 40-50 years ago used British and American amps, doesn't mean it's the one and only tool for the job now. The AxeFX does an amazing job, as do the POD HD series.

Its none of my business and I didnt wanna say anything for a day or so but it kinda irks me so I'll say it...

There are good amps made worldwide, it doesnt have to be from one country to be the only amp worth bothering with. Added to that, Im sure lots of the tubes, caps, opamps, resistors, wiring, jacks, pots, pcbs et al used in said amps are manufactured in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong etc...

However - Looking forward to more news on the blue rig thingy and more comparison info between the HD and Stomp when Namm rolls around!!!

polaris20 wrote:I don't think Peter was saying "buy this device; it'll make your iPad sound like a raging $2000 USA-made amp".
iRig HD - Buy this device; it'll make your iPad sound like a raging $2000 USA-made amp™
It will also make you wildly attractive and successful. You're welcome.

Click here to make all of your dreams come true

Uh oh!

I just clicked on that link Peter - and saw that the iPhone version of your software (the pic at the bottom of the page) uses cassette tape emulation for recording - while the iPad version uses reel-to-reel emulation!

Are you now saying that if I want the warmer emulation of reel-to-reel I need to buy the iPad version while if I want the portability of cassette tape I need to also purchase the iPhone version!!!

Damn you iKMultimedia!!!

:P

We not only deliver the WOW but the flutter too, mckenic. Again, you're welcome.

Aural Chaos wrote:
wildzeke wrote: With PCs (Windows), you can only select one audio device at a time.
ASIO4ALL requires WDM drivers though. Oddly, it won't wrap ASIO drivers.

mckenic wrote: Is there more gain than the iRig stomp please? My Variax output, even though powered, is low so that will be the deciding factor between this and the stomp - the available gain.
Thank you for your patience so I could get a good correct answer for you.

Yes, iRig HD has some more gain than iRig STOMP when set at the maximum. If you tell me which iOS device you are using the iRig STOMP on, I can get a more accurate figure (how many more dB you would have when gain is set at maximum).

Of course, iRig HD will perform better than iRig STOMP (even at the same gain level) due to the extremely low noise floor and possibility to boost the signal in digital form without any added noise (since the A/D in iRig HD is extremely quiet).

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
mckenic wrote: Is there more gain than the iRig stomp please? My Variax output, even though powered, is low so that will be the deciding factor between this and the stomp - the available gain.
Thank you for your patience so I could get a good correct answer for you.

Yes, iRig HD has some more gain than iRig STOMP when set at the maximum. If you tell me which iOS device you are using the iRig STOMP on, I can get a more accurate figure (how many more dB you would have when gain is set at maximum).

Of course, iRig HD will perform better than iRig STOMP (even at the same gain level) due to the extremely low noise floor and possibility to boost the signal in digital form without any added noise (since the A/D in iRig HD is extremely quiet).
Seeing as how this comes with the Lightning cable, plus 30-pin and USB, this would effectively replace my JAM, right? I've got a JAM now, but with an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5, it's aggravating with the different plugs. How well does it handle piezo signals? The JAM doesn't do well at all with it, IMO.

Thank you so much Peter! I sincerely appreciate all your help and info!
Im certainly getting the HD now, thank you!

Currently, I dont have any IK hardware, I just got my iPad 4 for Christmas and was wondering about the convenience of the Stomp Vs the improved specs of the HD. I have a Variaxe 700 and although battery (or adapter) powered I find that it is a little low for things like Rocksmith on the xBox and it needs to be boosted when recording... for example. I was hoping to use it battery powered with the iRig HD and not have to carry another preamp.

Great news on the HD - now all I need is some patience! Thank you again very much!

Just a little patience... hay hay hay... :singer:
That reminds me, have you gotten AmpliTube Slash yet?
:D

Aural Chaos wrote:
Correct.

Even an Apogee Jam works under windows with Amplitube using ASIO4ALL.
I guess the HD will work also.

So IN is the Jam and OUT is the onboard (Creative) audio.

Most Windows music programs (and even games) can mix input and outputs of different cards.
I use to have 3 audio devices and mixed them with no issues.

If IK would have created the HD 6 months ago it would have been a nice option.
But it should be priced slightly cheaper then the Jam.
The Jam is to pricey imho, but I already bought it :hihi:

Redje wrote: But it should be priced slightly cheaper then the Jam.
The Jam is to pricey imho, but I already bought it :hihi:
Even if we're saving users of the latest iOS devices $30 on a 30-pin to Lightning adapter and, well, not having to carry an adapter around?

Do note that any pricing information in this thread is not official until we announce it on our site, so we'll keep you posted.

:tu:

I saying this in a kinda fun cheeky way Peter so please take it as I mean it...

Im a new iPad user and need everything but I wouldnt be buying a HD (or Stomp) and Im NOT buying the Alesis IO Dock simply BECAUSE it needs a 30pin to Lightning adapter. If the Alesis had Lightning I would have already bought it - as it is I decided I want to use an iRig HD and wait until the iRig midi supports Lightning (or Alesis gets off their asses).

:tu:

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”