20ms Low Latency Audio coming to Android (by Sonoma)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dcodella wrote:Hi all this is Daniel with Sonoma Wire Works. Thought I'd chime in with some more info:

@BERFAB Am dying to see that happen. It's in progress, we had alot of old code to sort through and update, but it's running, I've seen it, it exists!

@rockstar_not Mobile music making is one area where iOS users seem to be having all the fun, we're just trying to open it up to more people :) About latency, iOS in-out latency is around 20ms, so we've just got Android down to the equivalent. Current Android latency is anywhere between 150 - 350 ms, so it's a dramatic improvement.

@UltraJv If Google does end up doing it, it typically takes device manufacturers 6 months to a year to implement it to the OS. No matter who gets it out, we just want to see mobile music making on Android, it's good for everyone.

If you guys would like any more info, please check out this forum post:

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/forums/v ... p?id=11468

Thanks for the support and interest!
Um.. Question. How is it that everyone (Apple, Audiobus, developers of iOS audio apps, etc) are claiming that iOS has 5ms of latency and you are claiming that android is down to the equivalent? I'm not seeing how the math is adding up. :?

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

dcodella wrote:Hi all this is Daniel with Sonoma Wire Works. Thought I'd chime in with some more info:

@BERFAB Am dying to see that happen. It's in progress, we had alot of old code to sort through and update, but it's running, I've seen it, it exists!

@rockstar_not Mobile music making is one area where iOS users seem to be having all the fun, we're just trying to open it up to more people :) About latency, iOS in-out latency is around 20ms, so we've just got Android down to the equivalent. Current Android latency is anywhere between 150 - 350 ms, so it's a dramatic improvement.

@UltraJv If Google does end up doing it, it typically takes device manufacturers 6 months to a year to implement it to the OS. No matter who gets it out, we just want to see mobile music making on Android, it's good for everyone.

If you guys would like any more info, please check out this forum post:

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/forums/v ... p?id=11468

Thanks for the support and interest!
Daniel, Thanks for your reply - I agree, get the Android world on-board. I never imagined I would have so much fun making music with a 'phone'. As for your reported iOS latency, that's way higher than what I've seen reported elsewhere, ( 'ios audio latency ms' as a google search item) and much higher than what it seems to be subjectively either with using the touchscreen as the input device, or the Akai Synthstation 25 controller I have for my iPhone. I have no way to measure it other than "This seems latency free" kind of feeling. I will soon be testing audio in, and perhaps this is where you are talking 20 mS for iOS - I'm buying a Mikey Digital this week.

In any regard, I hope that your work sparks a change in Android OS development to get it down even lower as a part of the overall OS function.

-Scott

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”