Best ipad app for fast MIDI entry?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, there,

I'm wondering if anyone could give any recommendations for a good iPad app for fast MIDI entry, to later bring or export into one of the bigger DAW's.

Unfortunately, I'm not a great keyboard player (mostly a guitar player) and I don't have a MIDI controller, so lots of my note entry has been mouse-based on the main computer's DAW.

I'm just wondering if something like the iPad wouldn't be a great "compositional entry" tool to help speed things up.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,

- Paul

I don't know if it's the fastest, but I just picked up Symphonix Evolution a few days ago and it has a great workflow and it's very quick write in notes in staff or piano roll views, step entry using an external keyboard, etc. It also has some built-in functions to make it easy to email MIDI files to/from your ipad, open MIDI files directly from web links, etc.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/symphon ... 92515?mt=8
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Thanks a bunch.

That looks like a good app.

Does the piano roll allow the space for you to enter and drag note data? Or is it too thin for your fingers?

Thanks again,

- Paul

PaulG wrote:Thanks a bunch.

That looks like a good app.

Does the piano roll allow the space for you to enter and drag note data? Or is it too thin for your fingers?

Thanks again,

- Paul
Plenty of room. And it's got a pretty cool way of dragging or stretching notes, where touching the note selects it and adds some nice big arrows around the note for dragging/stretching - very convenient and tactile.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

BTW, the developer has a youtube channel with a bunch of tutorials and feature highlights. Some of them are a few years old and based on older versions, but there is at least one overview of the latest version and the others are probably pretty useful/relevant as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/donf314

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”