Scarlett 2i4 or Roland Duo-Capture EX

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Evening folks,

Well I was kind of ready to pull the trigger on the 2i4 but then Roland makes a move at NAMM (I know, it could have been announced months ago but anyway just knew of it at NAMM).

Around the same price, I feel inclined about the 2i4, good reviews so far (also with its little brother the 2i2) and little things like the extra volume knob for headphones sound great.

Of course, what bugs me off is advertisement. You see, the 2i4 is NOT advertised as compatible with iPad, but people run that and the 2i2 via CCK (new and old) and a powered USB Hub. In this regard, Roland not only can work with batteries and AC adapter but also would take the USB Hub out of the equation, and, it is advertised as working with iPad by Roland.

How come? I mean, why do companies like Focusrite cannot just say their product will work with iPad, is it because you need the hub in the middle? Is it because you need to pay royalties to Apple for saying that?

I understand class compliance is about not needing drivers, but then funnily enough on Focusrite site there are drivers for OS X, which makes me think, why, if the interface could work fine via Core Audio/Midi?

I believe in the end, my "fear" is that I buy the 2i4 and then magically it will stop working on iOS7 or iOS8, but that shouldn't happen as long as iOS supports Core Audio/Midi, right????
Oh and also I have the fear for MIDI not working on this thing, say, using the iPad as MIDI controller with an external synth; so far I only see reports of people getting audio working but never talk about MIDI.

Any enlightenment/opinion/fact would be really appreciated. Thanks for your time!!
What better religion than music itself?

I have a 2i2, but a battery powered solution seems pretty cool for ipad use. As long as battery life was long. I wouldn't worry about iOS suddenly not being class compliant. Too many legacy stuff and complaints from customers if that happens. I would think they would make more compatibility happen, not less.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:Too many legacy stuff and complaints from customers if that happens.
To be honest Im pro Apple but I'm sure old Timmy & Jony won't give a ... about compatibility if that's the case hehehe...

But yeah, you're right in that (i assume you referred to that) Core Audio/Midi is just.. something they couldn't take away from us... :shock: Unlike of course the "simple" stuff l like 30-pin vs lighting and so on.

Thank you for your reply, I assume you are quite happy with the 2i2.

Yes, but I have a much more fun interface I actually use for ipad. My M-Audio Venom VA synthesizer. It's also a class compliant audio interface with low latency.

2i2 is great, but I instantly have keys and interface with Venom.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Wormhelmet wrote:Yes, but I have a much more fun interface I actually use for ipad. My M-Audio Venom VA synthesizer. It's also a class compliant audio interface with low latency.

2i2 is great, but I instantly have keys and interface with Venom.
I see, thanks.
The venom looks cool but I'm not real fan of M-Audio products.

I think in the end if no reviews of the Roland come out imma grab some 2i4

Can the Scarlett 2i4 record sound without being plugged into the usb bay?

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”