iPad 4 VS Windows 7 or 8 multi-touch surface

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

koalaboy wrote:FLStudio 12 is awesome on a Surface Pro 2. It benefits from using a larger monitor via the output, but is perfectly usable on the 10" screen, and the FL ASIO driver works just fine as well.

The biggest problem at the moment is a lack of apps like TouchOSC, Lemur etc., but hopefully the new Windows 10 SDK will make it simple for them to port over.
I have lost the faith that iPad type apps will SOON run in Windows 10 multi-touch screens. Rumor has it the Apple will release the iPad Pro https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%2 ... &tbs=qdr:m by years end. It will be 13" diagonally. Wow! plenty of real-estate for my fingers to roam. May even have velocity/pressure sensing. If velocity I hope it will have 128 levels from a feather touch to a hard tap.

If so I will temporarily not get a Windows mutli-touch monitor. I will wait until desirable iPad type apps are available for the Windows multi-touch screen. I am optimistic about the Windows multi-touch screen and still think it is the preferred way to go but for the time being the iPad Pro looks like a more viable candidate for creation of music.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Windows 10 will apparently be able to run iOS and Android apps
Technically, how should that work? - especially in terms of apps that need CPU cycles? And apps that work closes to media layers or hardware of one platform?

I think what was going to happen was Microsoft we're going to provide tools to simplify conversion rather than actually being able to run native iOS/android apps.
Instant human just add coffee

^ that.
Which is a LOT different than natively supporting them....

Is it time to get a Windows multi-touch screen?

I will upgrading my music computer and installing the free Windows 10. I am still in hot pursuit of what multi-touch can do. I would prefer a 30” Windows multi-touch screen. My primary use of a multi-touch screen is for music creation and there many iPad apps that offer such capability but very few apps for the Windows platform.

Should I save my money and wait for the 12.5” iPad Pro? The iPad Pro will have about twice as much real estate of the Air but not as much as my preferred 30” screen but a sizable improvement that has me almost hooked. Windows 10 release date is Juley 29, 2015 so will like to make a decision soon. Please help me decide.

PS.
To complicate matters I also use Photoshop so will like to see how the multi-touch or even single-touch can help here. I want avoid using a Wacom tablet and hope to work directly on the iPad with finger or the Intuos Creatrive Stylus 2 http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/sty ... e-stylus-2 or something similar.

The Big Question.
Use the current iPad Air and wait for the iPad Pro to be released or in the next month or so get a Windows 26” to 32” multi-touch monitor. The Windows decision requires that I do a lot of research to find the right monitor. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

don't waste money with something as useless as a 30" tactile screen, you 'll don't use on it your knees anyway.

no matter how Win10 will be tactile adapted, fact is none (or so few) third party dev has released a dedicated tactile UI for their apps under windows os.
Win 11, UAD Octo satellite usb, Yamaha AG06 mk2, IK multimedia iLoud MTM x2, Ableton Live 11, Push 2, Reason 12, NI Komplete.

9headshydra wrote: no matter how Win10 will be tactile adapted, fact is none (or so few) third party dev has released a dedicated tactile UI for their apps under windows os.
So best to wait and make the decision what to do upon the release of the iPad Pro. I assume that all the apps that currently work on the iPad will also work in the iPad Pro. http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/ipad/ipa ... 9-3492180/

So I will complete my new music computer and use my current iPad Air. No Windows music multi-touch screen this year for me or until the apps that I want become available. So patiently wait for the iPad Pro and it is never released that is fine also.

Kalamata Kid wrote:
koalaboy wrote:FLStudio 12 is awesome on a Surface Pro 2. It benefits from using a larger monitor via the output, but is perfectly usable on the 10" screen, and the FL ASIO driver works just fine as well.

The biggest problem at the moment is a lack of apps like TouchOSC, Lemur etc., but hopefully the new Windows 10 SDK will make it simple for them to port over.
I have lost the faith that iPad type apps will SOON run in Windows 10 multi-touch screens. Rumor has it the Apple will release the iPad Pro https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%2 ... &tbs=qdr:m by years end. It will be 13" diagonally. Wow! plenty of real-estate for my fingers to roam. May even have velocity/pressure sensing. If velocity I hope it will have 128 levels from a feather touch to a hard tap.

If so I will temporarily not get a Windows mutli-touch monitor. I will wait until desirable iPad type apps are available for the Windows multi-touch screen. I am optimistic about the Windows multi-touch screen and still think it is the preferred way to go but for the time being the iPad Pro looks like a more viable candidate for creation of music.
A while ago I got a cheap 19" touchscreen. It's not multi-touch, though, but I think that's irrelevant to this discussion. I ran it on Windows 7, but things did get better on Windows 8.

I rarely use it. Here's the truth: Unless you get Usine up and running, software is just plain and simply not set up UI wise for it and I see no sign of things getting better, at least in the short term. So keep that in mind.

My wife got me an iPad Air v1 for Christmas. I'm typing on it right now, but I'm using a Clam Case Pro keyboard... because some things are just better done with a physical inerfaace. The good thing about it is that developers more or less have to design their UIs for touch screen use. I can already see that even though it's small, it will be better... but stilll, will I use it? Sometimes. The hard truth is that other than cool x-y Kaoss pad like things, I feel that a touch pad isn't that useful. It looks good on a Daft Punk video.

My suggestion is to get a cheap iPad Air v1 first, and see if you actually like it. You could always just sell it. I've got a MIDI interface on the way and I've already bought Patch Morpher for my KingKORG but I might get something else like Lemur. Supplement it with some type of physical controller like a Novation. I'm not sure what the best thing around is, but having one that displays parameter names is very useful. I find I use my old Remote 25 SL way more than my touch screen. Way more. Also, check out Sourceaudio's Hot Hand MIDI. FUN. Oh, and for all those who are mouse adverse, get a Kensington Expert Mouse trackball (not sure why it's called a mouse). It's great and will make you feel like you're playing an old tabletop Pacman. ;)
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

This is a very interesting article in the Sound on Sound magazine:
Multi-touch Music Software For Windows
Also covers hardware.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov14/a ... 14.htm#Top

I am getting closer in investing on a 26"+ Multi-touch monitor but one that will take advantage of all that Windows 10 has to offer. Need advice so make some suggestions.

On the other hand iPad Pro 12"+ may be released by end of 2015 which may influence my decision.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”