List of Audio and Midi Apps for Windows 7 and/or 8

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi hat5,

thanks for the feedback :)!
XotoPad doesn't use any soundbanks, it just acts as a MIDI controller. The sounds in the demo video come from my DAW and its softsynths. So, yes: XotoPad controls other programs :)

Greetings,
Hauke

hauke wrote:Hi hat5,

thanks for the feedback :)!
XotoPad doesn't use any soundbanks, it just acts as a MIDI controller. The sounds in the demo video come from my DAW and its softsynths. So, yes: XotoPad controls other programs :)

Greetings,
Hauke
Hello Hauke,

I wish you the best on your new XotoPad.

Will it run on a Windows 7 with a touch screen.
Which 28" plus touch screen do you recommend?
Is it capable of 88 keys?

Hello Kalamata Kid,

thank you :)!

Yes, XotoPad should run on Windows 7 with a touch screen. I couldn't test it myself, but the people behind the programming toolkit I use claim that it works on any Windows OS with touch capabilities.
However: When using Windows 7 it might happen that you will see small rectangles coming up if you touch the screen with two or more fingers. This happens because Win7 interprets a two finger gesture as a right mouse click and wants to give the user feedback that it detected such a "click". This doesn't influence the MIDI output, but might be pretty annoying. On Windows 8 I could find a way to suppress these "helpful" rectangles. Unfortunately I could only get it to work with certain commands that aren't available on Win7, so I would really recommend to use Win8.

I cannot recommend any touch screens, as I only use laptops and tablets here.

Yes, XotoPad is capable to send MIDI notes for 88 keys! In fact MIDI allows up to 127 keys - whoever needs that ;)

Please give XotoPad a try first before you invest in new hardware. It has been released yesterday and is available here: http://feelyoursound.com/downloads/

Greetings,
Hauke
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

hauke wrote:Hello Kalamata Kid,

thank you :)!

Yes, XotoPad should run on Windows 7 with a touch screen. I couldn't test it myself, but the people behind the programming toolkit I use claim that it works on any Windows OS with touch capabilities.
However: When using Windows 7 it might happen that you will see small rectangles coming up if you touch the screen with two or more fingers. This happens because Win7 interprets a two finger gesture as a right mouse click and wants to give the user feedback that it detected such a "click". This doesn't influence the MIDI output, but might be pretty annoying. On Windows 8 I could find a way to suppress these "helpful" rectangles. Unfortunately I could only get it to work with certain commands that aren't available on Win7, so I would really recommend to use Win8.

I cannot recommend any touch screens, as I only use laptops and tablets here.

Yes, XotoPad is capable to send MIDI notes for 88 keys! In fact MIDI allows up to 127 keys - whoever needs that ;)

Please give XotoPad a try first before you invest in new hardware. It has been released yesterday and is available here: http://feelyoursound.com/downloads/

Greetings,
Hauke
Hauke,

A few more questions,

The XotoPad http://feelyoursound.com/xotopad/ can have up to 127 keys but does it also include a conventional keyboard with black and white keys. Are the keys numbers mapable to any other key number? Can velocity be determined by where on the key one strikes?

In fade mode is the XotoPad fully functional? This is great so is the re-sizing and “always on top”.

The midi out of the XotoPad will be seen in the IN of the DAW?

Hi Kalamata Kid,

please note: The MIDI standard allows for 127 different note pitches (from very low octaves to very high octaves), and XotoPad supports all of them. But this doesn't mean that XotoPad displays 127 keys on the screen, as this is an entirely different thing.

XotoPad doesn't support a "black and white keys" mode at the moment, but you can assign notes and chords to various pads.

What do you mean with "In fade mode is the XotoPad fully functional?". If you mean the transparent window mode: Yes, XotoPad will behave exactly the same as in the "normal" mode.

If you see a MIDI out in XotoPad you should see the same device in the MIDI-in-section of your DAW as well, yes!

Cheers,
Hauke
Songwriting software: Sundog Song Studio (standalone) | MelodicFlow (plug-in) | ChordPotion (plug-in) | XotoPad (Windows touch app)

I am waiting for Windows 10 as I understand that the new features for multi-touch screen will be implemented. Widows 10 available in June 2015?

Perhaps the Windows app developers are also waiting for Windows 10 to be release. How will they take advantage of bigger touch screens? I cant wait for Windows 10 and everyone else to jump on the Windows multi-touch band wagon. The future is bright and will blind us in 2015.

Audulus now is available as a VST or standalone for Windows 7 or 8.
http://audulus.com/
On introductory sale for $30.
Buy now and receive ALL in-app upgrades FREE.
That’s $45 worth of upgrades. Limited-time offer.

Not clear if Audulus runs as a Multi-touch under Windows.
No sure what the additional $45 free upgrades means.

An Audulus thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5982815

Does yMIDI qualify as a multi-touch Windows app?
http://level6productions.com/ymidi.html
rtpMIDI and yMIDI are new terms for me.

Perhaps the title of this thread should have read “App like Multi-Touch VST’s for Windows”

When the iPad or Android tablets apps are ported to Windows they should run as a VST or VSTfx or even as stand-alone applications. What is desirable in the tablet apps is that they require multi-touch to use and many are very creative and different from the usual mouse oriented applications.

Looks like Windows 10 will be more multi-touch friendly. Hope that will stimulate the development of multi-touch VST instrument, VST effect and VST midi controllers.
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A program will not automatically by multi touch if its running on win10, it must be coded to support these features, just like Win7 and Win8
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Ps
Vst using the JUCE framework are multi touch
Eg D16
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I knew multi-touch VST's are do-able. Dang, developers have done way more complicated programming. Good to know that JUSE can do all this.

Just in case JUSE is new to you as it is for me check it out:
http://www.redwoodaudio.net/Tutorials/j ... intro.html

Kalamata Kid wrote:Perhaps the title of this thread should have read “App like Multi-Touch VST’s for Windows”

When the iPad or Android tablets apps are ported to Windows they should run as a VST or VSTfx or even as stand-alone applications. What is desirable in the tablet apps is that they require multi-touch to use and many are very creative and different from the usual mouse oriented applications.

Looks like Windows 10 will be more multi-touch friendly. Hope that will stimulate the development of multi-touch VST instrument, VST effect and VST midi controllers.
For those that are opposed to the Windows multi-touch screens:

I should add that most functions on the DAW and VST’s will still be done by qwerty and mouse. For daily use the multi-touch screen will be about 30 degrees off from flat to facilitate usage. In this set-up the multi-touch will can be used to create music by tapping or sliding of fingers. The mouse will always be available for when a mouse is better at doing what it does best. A second vertical monitor will be helpful.

I read recently that Windows is trying to make it easy for iPad and Android developers to port their apps to the Windows 10 platform.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%2 ... api+ported
This is great news!

I am still in the opinion that the ported apps would be easier to use if they are made into VST's and VSTi's rather than stand-alone.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”