Which iPad has most advantage for midi control and music production?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm talking about size, as in mini, the iPad2, and the retina display. Has anyone found the retina display helpful in music? Because otherwise, I think it makes sense to just get the mini.
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 4. It is a lot nicer to use the size on the ipad. I think some apps don't run on the mini. The retina screen is really nice.

NaturalDissolve wrote:I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 4. It is a lot nicer to use the size on the ipad. I think some apps don't run on the mini. The retina screen is really nice.
I thought all apps designed for iPad ran on iPad mini too?

I've got an iPad (4th gen/Retina) and it's just the right size IMO. I don't think I'd want anything smaller for music apps.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

Which storage size would you say would be adequate? Would I need something like Zero SL if I get an iPad? I am really new to all this...
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

Does zero sl work with ipad?

I guess it really all depends on what you want to do with it.

schnapsglas wrote:Which storage size would you say would be adequate?
Most music apps themselves generally don't take up much space, so the 16GB is more than sufficient. If you're going to load it up with mp3s, photos, movies, ebooks, etc., then you'll definitely want to look at a bigger model.
schnapsglas wrote:Would I need something like Zero SL if I get an iPad? I am really new to all this...
I'm not sure if there is a good equivalent to the Zero SL in an iPad app - suggest searching this subforum for starters to see. But, there are countless controllers for software, some of which are dedicated for particular soft synths (e.g., Omni TR for Omnisphere, Alchemy Mobile), and others that let you create your own custom controllers (e.g., Liine Lemur [$50, but highly recommended], TouchOSC).
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

If you plan on recording, wave files can get pretty big.

Theoretically the touch pad is supposed to replace the traditional automated mixer. Touch the screen and watch the faders on the screen move. Course I haven't tried to mix on the iPad yet. It's got to be possible though.

I have a mini, and own the original and and iPad 2. In other words I have had an iPad for 3 years.... the mini runs everything that I have collected over the years (which is a lot) but... I will admit the screen can get a bit cramped for these old eyes..... Love my mini, but sometimes I long for the extra screen size.....
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro
Cubase Pro 10/Mixcraft 9

NaturalDissolve wrote:Does zero sl work with ipad?

I guess it really all depends on what you want to do with it.
Any class compliant USB controller under a 900mA power draw should work.

Carey

schnapsglas wrote:Which storage size would you say would be adequate? Would I need something like Zero SL if I get an iPad? I am really new to all this...
You should get as much storage as you can possibly afford. Using less storage than you have is certainly less vexing than needing more.

:wink:

Carey

I think just as big of a concern as the screen size is the power. The 4th gen iPad is considerably stronger than the 3rd gen, the Mini, etc.

Unless you absolutely need the small size, the 4th gen is the way to go for music apps, IMO. Especially now with Audiobus.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”