---Is iMini crashing for any of you?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I haven't had any crashes, but I have noticed a distinct MIDI issue which may be related.

When I play the iMini via the on-screen keyboard it behaves very well. When I play chords using external keyboards, then some MIDI note-on messages are missed (silent notes) and some note-off are missed (hanging notes). This is not just audible but visible on the on-screen keyboard - in other words, you can see that notes aren't registering or are left hanging (although the key travel effect is pretty subtle on-screen). Monophonic lines are fine as far as I can tell.

This happens when using:
- iRig Keys;
- M-Audio MIDI keyboard > Alesis IO2 > USB > CCK;
- Alesis X25 > USB > CCK;

The CCK is unofficial Chinese (Shinnto) and the USB devices run via a powered hub. But I also tested these setups using my other iPad synths: Animoog, iPolysix, Sunrizer, Magellan, Garage Band - and none of them had any problem playing chords. So it seems to be very much an iMini issue.

I don't regret spending my £6.99 at all - iMini sounds amazing - instant 70's Tomita / Larry Fast on some of the (many excellent) presets - wonderful. I have nothing else that sounds like this. But I will be emailing Arturia and it would be good to know if anyone else has similar issues playing chords over MIDI.

My spec: iPad 2, 16Gb, iOS6.1.2

Thanks

Bill

I think that iMini needs work with how it receives Midi...a LOT of work. I've noticed that when trying to get it to receive midi from Little Midi Machine, StepPolyArp, etc. the Midi in on iMini says something about 'unknown device, unknown endpoint'. It still works, sort of, when it's up front (for crying out loud Arturia, no background audio? :o )

I would think that some shortcuts were taken to get this to release. It does seem to work ok in Tabletop, but I believe they have individual sequencers assigned to each synth directly, not thru a port of some kind...
Dave

I agree that it seems like it was put out a little early. But, it does sound great so hopefully they will hear the requests of their customers, fix bugs, and implement features. The sound is great, I just hope that they don't leave it and think that just because it's a moog model that people will run to it (even though that would be me...:-) ). Unless they are trying to accurately model the instability of the original?

---I rewritten to Arturia about this problem since I didn't hear back after Kevin said they'd look into it. It sounds super and it's unusable for me...
:(

I've used it four times, and it's crashed three - although it's always on start-up; it seems stable once it's actually running - that's on iPad4 6.1.2; on iPad 2 5.1.1, it seems far more stable, but I've not used it for more than half an hour at a time so far.
It sounds really nice, but there do seem to be other bugs, apart from the crashes; I'm sure they'll get worked out soon enough though.

---What worries me is going on their website's forum and seeing how little they respond to customer service needs...I hope they will address these problems because the sounds are really great but the lack of response is telling...

It does look like the people at Retronyms are replying to users though. I'm still unclear about what sort of relationship they have with Arturia; obviously there is some sort of partnership, for the Tabletop integration, but did they assist with the programming, and how much input do they have with regards to support - like do they have any influence, or is it Arturia that are solely in charge?

Whatever the case may be, and whatever peoples views on Retronyms, at least they've been in the game long enough to have a wealth of experience when it comes to what users want - well, I'm sure it'll all get sorted out (eventually!).

It's still a bad-ass synth though, and has a lot of really nice features, I know others would've like to have seen more in Version 1, but how many other apps have started off the same way, and are now so powerful and flexible, it's ridiculous.
In a way iOS music apps are like buying shares in a company - the value may go up or down, but unlike shares, there's more of a chance it'll be the former.

--I'm really happy that so many people are enjoying this synth, that's wonderful but for those of us who aren't because of problems...
I'm on my 3rd. week without a reply from Arturia, if you read their forums you see blowing off customer concerns seems to be standard fare for them and I haven't heard back from Retro..either. They won't get anymore of my money I don't care how wonderful they are to some people, you don't ignore customers.
Somoene went on the forum and bragged about iMini, 2 people wrote them back!!! :(

It seems that we are all having the same issue however, so if someone hasn't perhaps they haven't met that particular bug yet. I will be very disappointed if they don't fix the stability issues soon, and if they are not responsive to customer concerns. Just the minimoog name will not be enough to sustain the app if it's not stable. It's a new world and responsiveness to customers is probably the most important feature of any app. We shall see how it all develops, I'm patient only because it's a 1.0 release.

I remember having my M-audio FireWire 1814 that was only half functional, with the customer service answer of "well, it's not expensive, what do you want?" Me: "What I want is for you to make this product function as advertised rather than pushing a million other new products out at the same time." the device was not a legacy product at that time.

Anyway, I'll try to stay positive and hope that retronyms and Arturia do not go the same route. I tried tabletop and it's not for me, but they seem like a good company, so we'll see.

---I agree that the release is still new but what worries me is Arturia's reputation for poor customer service. Sadly the forum shows a continued pattern of neglect...

I've not had any dealings with Arturia before, but it obviously isn't good practice to ignore a customer for three weeks - a simple reply to say that they'd received your email, and were looking into it, would have been a better way of dealing with it.

You can never afford to loose customers at anytime, let alone nowadays; it's my experience that once you've lost a customer, it doesn't matter what you offer - they're gone for good, usually to one of your competitors.

In a former life, I was involved in customer relations, and I often wondered if I was the only one who did my job! the arrogance and disrespect I witnessed towards customers, wound me up so much, I ended up leaving.
If you look after your customers, they'll look after you - it's basic business, but amazing how many companies don't see it.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”