Can you control Ableton Live with ipad/android tablet like this...?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey I am considering buying a tablet but before I do I would like to get answer to these questions.

I am hoping that the tablet could replace my other mobile controllers. For that to happen I would need all the following features visible simultaneously (not needing to change into another page for another set of controls):

- keyboard for note-on, note-off messages, at least 1 octave visible, with the option of having even narrow keys and 2 octaves visible simultaneously. In addition octave up and down buttons for transposing the keyboard up or down with octaves amount (like in most MIDI keyboards).

- pitch bend and modulation wheel controls on screen

- MIDI program change buttons, program change + and program change - buttons and hopefully in addition a field where you can input number for the program to change to.

- at least one additional slider on the screen, perhaps even 2-3. I need at least one slider to control the selected track volume in Ableton Live. I use this feature ALL the time: http://stc.wiffbi.com/

- note-on velocity control and aftertouch is bonus but not absolute necessity

- I need a robust stable solution with relatively low latency. Does anybody know if this is possible with Google/Asus Nexus 7...? It is just much cheaper than an Ipad, I would prefer to buy that if you can use it. By the way I have Windows7-64bit laptop with Ableton Live 8. I prefer a wired connection instead of some WIFI solution if possible, or I suppose a WIFI solution cannot be very robust...?

- it would really be cool if I could get rid of bigger mobile keyboards and move into a tablet

look promising but touchdaw at least seems to work trough WLAN, and WLAN is notorious for causing trouble and glitches with computer audio. Is there any way to make either of this work trough a cable...?

golemus wrote:
look promising but touchdaw at least seems to work trough WLAN, and WLAN is notorious for causing trouble and glitches with computer audio. Is there any way to make either of this work trough a cable...?
WLAN taking process priority is awindows problem (I'm on windows). But honestly, with today's processing power it's overrated and IIRC can be adjusted in settings.

The whole reason these apps exists though is because they're wireless, requiring no setup or permanent installation. I don't know of any that work wired.

Touchdaw can also work over usb. Bit of a pain to setup and requires a translation program running.

Give the manual a read before you invest in it, is available on the website.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Don't forget, you'll just be sending MIDI, not an audio stream...

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”