Looking for an ipad app that will sequence hardware

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, getting back into making some music after a 9 months of non productivity.

Basically I'm looking for an ipad app that:
-is easy to compose in real time AND by note drawing/editing
-has an easy to use midi editor
-has a focus on horizontal composition as opposed to making a perfect 8 bar loop
-allows each track to output midi to control hardware synths
-OR at least allows midi export of individual tracks

Basically I'm looking for something that will be a sketch pad outside of the studio in which I can compose with onboard sounds, but then later go into the studio and set the midi out of each track to trigger a hardware synths.

Does anything like this exist?

Google wasn't very helpful.

Look at and see which one fits your style of composing best:

Beatmaker 2
Cubasis
MIDI Pattern Sequencer
Genome MIDI Sequencer

I've had good luck with Beatmaker 2 (BM2). The sampled instruments are somewhat crude (compared with SampleTank, for example), but it does all of the things you describe. I've used it to sequence synths as well as drums, then pasted the resulting audio files back into BM2 for arranging and mixing.

See this on mapping BM2's drum machine to work with other MIDI drum machines: http://www.intua.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3050.

I'd like to try Cubasis, but since BM2 does what I need I'm waiting for a sale.
Last edited by dswo on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Or music studio

Or Mobile Sequencer from yamaha
Instant human just add coffee

Brainwave sequencer - pretty much right up your alley.

Mike

Thanks for the replies!
I'll have to check out some videos of these, and try to find a free lite version to put it through its paces.
Is there a superior midi peripheral that you guys prefer? I know there's a few of them out there.

Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

MadPsyance wrote:Thanks for the replies!
I'll have to check out some videos of these, and try to find a free lite version to put it through its paces.
Is there a superior midi peripheral that you guys prefer? I know there's a few of them out there.
Mixed reports about the Alesis dock (though I might still get one if they go on sale again). I've heard no complaints about iConnectMidi. I've hooked mine up with the Camera Connection Kit plus an Emu MIDI/USB converter, currently use the Camera Connection Kit with a MidiSport 2x2 that I bought on eBay.

Mixed reports on Cubasis as well... maybe wait for a sale.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”