Help, I am a new iPad owner

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't know what to do anymore. What I want to do is:

1. use it as a sequencer and maybe even have some audio feedback from the iPad itself (no one came up with "Geist the app" or "Numerology for iPad" yet?)
2. control things inside my Studio One
3. maybe some ultra cool things iPad owners get to do?

I don't know where to start. Some pointers? Thanks.
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

Well you're in for an adventure my friend...

There are tons of sequencers like Garageband and many apps include one built in like AmpliTube and VocaLive. You can easily use your iPad in the studio with many apps to control tracks, record and even edit from afar. I'd also take a serious look at using it as a touch tool. Examples would be running filters with your fingers, delays and echos are awesome with this too. Plus you can use it as a mobile recorder with different mics that are available. Do you play any specific instruments? DJ? Make beats? We can get more specific app and accessory wise...
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

There must be others, but the only sequencer I'm aware of that will send network or USB MIDI is Genome:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/genome- ... 75494?mt=8

Some people love it, but I find the interface a little annoying (selecting notes, etc). Definitely Wworth checking out, though.

There are tons of controller related apps. Lemur is a popular choice:

http://liine.net/en/products/lemur/

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Thanks to all.

I do play an arsenal of different instruments, but I never saw the reason for running say -- my guitar to iPad. I probably will want it to trigger samples by just transmitting MIDI. I am with the idea of using iPad to sample sounds once in a while, but I wonder if costs of getting a specific mic justifies not getting H2n or something similar.

Programming synths on my computer by using touch would be awesome, but I know that's not possible.

Kinda scared about spending $50 on Lemur though, last time I heard TouchOSC is similar? I guess I'm not used to the world where you just pay for the app, rather than using it for good two weeks and buying it.

schnapsglas wrote:Programming synths on my computer by using touch would be awesome, but I know that's not possible.
Check out V-Control:

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/v-contr ... 23823?mt=8

It's main use is for remote control of a hosts mixer section, which it does very well, but it can also display any plugin window with full remote control. Not sure how well it works with Windows, but on Mac/Logic it certainly does. FAQ suggests everything should be fine on Windows / Cubase etc.

http://www.neyrinck.com/v-control-pro-faq
Kinda scared about spending $50 on Lemur though, last time I heard TouchOSC is similar?
Lemur is highly advanced software with tons of control options, scripting etc. It is the continuation of Jazz Mutant Lemur, which was a dedicated touch interface before iPads became available. TouchOSC is good, but not nearly as powerful.

But yeah, $50 is a lot for an app that doesn't have a demo ...

Peace,
Andy.

Ok, thanks Andy.

Best,

Sean

Used rtpmidi to try Genome -- pretty cool! Wonder if there is a smaller one-channel sequencer available that has a selection of classic 4x4 drum kits built in?

I might try Lemur soon...

DM-1 is an excellent drum machine + step sequencer. It covers the classic Roland drum machine sound really well.

Not sure if the sequencer can output MIDI but I think it does. Also has pattern chaining mode for creating more complex arrangements.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/dm1-the ... 73951?mt=8

Peace,
Andy.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:DM-1 is an excellent drum machine + step sequencer. It covers the classic Roland drum machine sound really well.

Not sure if the sequencer can output MIDI but I think it does. Also has pattern chaining mode for creating more complex arrangements.

Peace,
Andy.
It does export MIDI. It's wonderful, exactly what I was looking for...

Trying to try V-Control free version. Faders look good, and it will be good if it works (apparently V-Window is the feature that shows plugins)

I tried V-control -- and holy crap this thing does work. Thanks again Andy. V-Window is view only on the free version, and I did have to enable multicast and Bonjour and all the technical things, but it does work.

Time to throw out my BCF2000, methinks.

I paid $50. It better work really really well.

schnapsglas wrote:Thanks to all.

I do play an arsenal of different instruments, but I never saw the reason for running say -- my guitar to iPad. I probably will want it to trigger samples by just transmitting MIDI. I am with the idea of using iPad to sample sounds once in a while, but I wonder if costs of getting a specific mic justifies not getting H2n or something similar.

Programming synths on my computer by using touch would be awesome, but I know that's not possible.

Kinda scared about spending $50 on Lemur though, last time I heard TouchOSC is similar? I guess I'm not used to the world where you just pay for the app, rather than using it for good two weeks and buying it.
You can take a look at iRig PRE and use whatever studio/stage mics you already have. We even have a digital line input that we are starting to ship preorders on now with iRig HD.
ZenPunkHippy wrote:DM-1 is an excellent drum machine + step sequencer. It covers the classic Roland drum machine sound really well.

Peace,
Andy.
It is pretty awesome, that and SampleTank and funkbox cover my drum needs.
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Ahem ik media staff member recommending ik apps and hardware. I don't have any love for their wares, apps or hardware (mostly because of the way they push their stuff on here and other forums, but that is my deal), but I know some do. Just be aware that all that you read isn't necessarily what it might seem with them guys as they are on staff :)

They ALWAYS recommend their employers apps as you might expect. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you aware that is the case.

Invisiblesupermonkey wrote:Ahem ik media staff member recommending ik apps and hardware. I don't have any love for their wares, apps or hardware (mostly because of the way they push their stuff on here and other forums, but that is my deal), but I know some do. Just be aware that all that you read isn't necessarily what it might seem with them guys as they are on staff :)

They ALWAYS recommend their employers apps as you might expect. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you aware that is the case.
I have been long enough at KVR just to expect an IK employee to talk about iRig... sooner than I expected however! :D

This is interesting. I have V-Control now, and that has a lot of possibilities with its V-Window. But I didn't know a cheaper option was available. I wouldn't test it out (not paying $5 for another one of these) but has anyone compared those two?

V-Window, if it gets updated and polished more, is fully worth $50. But for people who want to just use faders, I can't imagine the two would be very different (for Studio One, it is just Mackie controls anyway)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”