Alesis IO dock alternatives?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I'm looking for an io dock device for my Ipad, but can't really seem to find anything 100% appropriate.

I need midi and audio in/ out, the ability to use the dock without removing the Ipad from its case, and also Ipad charging when in use. The dock would preferably be placed on a keyboard console (I'm thinking about the right hand side of my Virus TI, where there is a good amount of space), so the 'footprint' is also relevent. Would mainly be used in a studio, but also for gigs, so dock robustness is of importance.

The Alesis (or Behringer clone :-)) fits the bill apart from the Ipad case issue (I guess a 30 pin extension cable would solve this, but placing the Ipad and case loosely on the dock is less than ideal).

The Griffin studioconnect looks ok, but the audio in/ out doesn't look high quality, and i'm not convinced of it's stability when placed on a small surface, or in general when touching the screen.

Of course there are a number of other hubs around (Tascam UI2?), but as far as I know, none would provide Ipad charging.

Are there any other options or products i've missed out, or should be looking at?

Any advice, opinions, suggestions etc appreciated, thanks.

OM

You seem to have covered them all.

I bought an Alesis IO Dock and it failed to work properly, so I returned it.

I currently use a Presonus Audiobox USB (small 2 in - 2 out) that has excellent pre-amps and neutrik connectors as well as MIDI in/out. It works great with the iPad on a powered hub using the camera connection kit.

Of course, I now own the newer iPad with the weird little connector and need a converter to use it with the camera connection kit, but other than that niggle, the Presonus was the way to go.

No charging, of course. I don't know of almost any device other than the Alesis IO that can do this.

The Alesis IO is PERFECT in design, but in implementation, it fails miserably. Add the new connector that now makes it incompatible with all new iPads.

Just a shame.

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply. I presume that the Prosonus doesn't power the Ipad at all? Or am I missing something?

The iu2 is a real mess, at least in ios mode.

I like my io docks, that I use with an extension cord and some anti slip stuff, under the dock and under the ipad ( standard and mini).

Main drawback, it doesn't support sysex, annoying with some hardware synths, otherwise it works nice (using latest firmware), don't have to worry about the battery, connection is fast and reliable, most of the time.
Midi latency is also a bit high, didn't tested audio latency yet.

Yes, I had heard there was latency with the Alesis.
Has anyone tried the new Behringer? any comments on latency with that unit? It seems pretty much identical to the Alesis in terms of spec.

I use the StudioConnect, both at home and in my live gigs, and I am very happy with it

This will provide charging, midi I/O and audio pass thru.iConnectMidi
Get an iKlip for stability.

MadmanST wrote:This will provide charging, midi I/O and audio pass thru.iConnectMidi
Get an iKlip for stability.
If they ever actually start selling the things....

I use the Alesis iO4. It requires mains power, needs the CCK, has no dock, and doesn't charge your iPad, but it just works flawlessly with both my iPad and Mac. Just plug and play. Never once had a problem with it at all. And it gives you MIDI IN/OUT as well as 4 audio inputs (16-bit, or two in 24-bit mode) so you can multitrack record into Cubasis, Auria, Beatmaker etc. Not bad for £100 :-)

https://www.alesis.com/io4

I think they also do an iO2, with just two audio inputs which can be powered from the iPad without the need for a power supply.

Alex

I also have the io4 and it works really well.

Ok, thanks for all the input. anyone had any experience with the Behringer yet? Otherwise I might just go with the Alesis, and take a chance

Is the iConnectmidi2+ or 4+ appropriate for what you want?

Additionally:
I do have the Alesis IO Dock and really like it. (using with iPad2)
Better mic pre's than most usb interfaces for under $400
Great midi implementation with exception of sysex. (no biggy for me though.)
Clean 48v phantom power on both inputs.
Warning: Many interfaces do not provide real 48v phantom. Some are only providing only 9-12v which can damage some mics, DI boxes and other equipment. So check that spec.

When Apple released iOS4 it screwed up the IO Dock's implementation for quite a while, so Alesis got a lot of bad press and reviews.
All IO Docks shipped in the last year (or so) have no issues and come with plastic sleeves to allow all iPads to fit tightly.

Now Apple has switched to the lightning port so keep that in mind if you plan to upgrade to an iPad 4, 5, 6 etc.
Last edited by martygras on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Imidiconnect2 etc not preferable because I would like audio ins as well, not just midi stuff - and as far as I can see, there are no audio ins on the Iconnect stuff
Any other options or opinions? Latency experiences particularly appreciated...

Being a drummer I am fairly sensitive to latency and have only experienced anything noticeable on the IO Dock when using audiobus with all 3 slots filled. Jamup Pro might be the culprit there. Just guessing on that.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”