which piano like app to hook up master to the ipad with usb

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Today i bought a ipad mini. The number of apps are a lot.
But to start out i was thinking to get something for free and simple.

Does anyone know any app that connects my ipad to the masterkeyboard with usb for free? So okay piano sounds should be sufficient.

thanks

Alchemy Synth Mobile (from Camel Audio) is free. If you are looking specifically for piano sounds, you can download the free version of iGrand Piano (from IK Multimedia).

I can't tell whether or not you have the hardware to connect, but you will need a Camera Connection Kit (CCK) from Apple. I believe the iPad Mini uses the lightning port, so you will need the lightning to USB (Camera Connection Kit) cable. You will also need a USB keyboard. Some USB keyboards require very little power and the iPad will supply the necessary power. Many other keyboards will require a powered USB Hub in order to hook it up to the iPad for use as a controller. If you have a MIDI-only keyboard, that will require a different set of hardware to get it working with the iPad.

the Camera Connection Kit?
I do have a lighting to usb cable, is that not enough?
This cable came with the ipad, which is also used to recharge it's battery.

the iGrand i installed. But i am not sure. I think it need the iRig/midi adapter or something...

> I do have a lighting to usb cable, is that not enough?

That is not the right cable. First you need to figure out which type of output your keyboard has. Does it have USB? Does it have MIDI? Or maybe both.

If it has USB, then you need this cable from Apple: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD821 ... ra-adapter

Even with USB, there are ones requiring a powered USB hub and others will connect directly to the above cable without requiring a USB hub.

If it only has MIDI, then you will need something like the iRig MIDI you mentioned. But that does not have a lightning connection so you will need a different attachment from Apple: the lightning to 30-pin adapter - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823 ... in-adapter

Unfortunately, without any of these extra cables/adapters, you will be unable to use an external keyboard.

well, this reminds me why i apple wasn't ever my thing.
29,00 euros for just a tiny little cable. Come on!

i have tested this setting with android once be4. I connected one of my master keyboards
(studiologic vmk176 and m-audio keyrig) to my low budget android device. Connect the
FREE female to micro usb cable (that came with the tablet) with my keyboard usb and the FREE app start automatically.

However due to latency issue's is it not useable. Although i heard some had adecuate latencies on nexus devices.
As soon as android has fixed the issue properly i will jump right back to android. Cos 29 euro's for a tiny little cable that not even
should be needed (cos i already have a lightning to usb + female to female usb plug) is just a plain rip off. But yeah, what to
expect from apple. In app building world its exact same thing. It looks like apple is becoming the new micro$oft.

There's some serious circuitry going on in that cable. You just can't see it. There's at least an authentication chip inside.

Soon in iOS 7 we may be getting a warning from the device if the cable is not authentic Apple approved.

And you won't have to worry about midi latency on an idevice.

For midi I have a couple M-Audio midi-sport which are very inexpensive and have fairly long cables.

Oh, and congratulations on getting a mini. Hope you enjoy it.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Yes, it is a bummer all these cables you need to purchase, but they are well worth it if you will be using it a lot. I use the lightning to USB (CCK) cable all the time. It is great to have a fully portable keyboard system. No electrical power required. Today I brought in the iRig Keys, cable, headphones and iPad to work. Sometimes I'll take my M-Audio Oxygen 49 if I need to do more serious practicing.

The CCK also lets you hook up a USB keyboard, a camera to download photos and probably some other things. So it's a fairly useful cable to have.

Jeeze guys- how cheap do you want to go with your music?? You are expecting amazing instruments from a portable device- to compete and be better then hardware keyboards- so what if the dongle costs $30. How much does a cheap sustain pedal cost? What accessory can you buy for a synth that could open the door more for $30. I never understand the mentality, especially when you experience what an iPad can do with something like Animoog. That alone is worth the price of the iPad, camera connection kit, iKlip, and a midi controller. Sorry, had to vent- I think we forget what sonic capabilities await us on iOS versus old school outboard hardware.
Jason Schoepfer
Rocky Mountain Sounds
http://www.rockymountainsounds.com

I keep forgetting that there are new musician's entering the market every day.

I bought many of today's great synth and recording apps when they were new for almost nothing. I could just see the quality and potential.
That kind of set a standard for music app prices. Now we're seeing some very high quality development and the prices for the most part are reasonable at $10-30.

Unfortunately some of the developers decided to abandon some of these apps only to release a more expensive version or just added features that could only be acquired through in-app-purchases. We supported them early in their efforts and they abandoned us, or at least left us behind.

I've got a piano in me pocket. :wink:
"Don't quantize me bro"!

martygras wrote:I keep forgetting that there are new musician's entering the market every day.

I bought many of today's great synth and recording apps when they were new for almost nothing. I could just see the quality and potential.
That kind of set a standard for music app prices. Now we're seeing some very high quality development and the prices for the most part are reasonable at $10-30.

Unfortunately some of the developers decided to abandon some of these apps only to release a more expensive version or just added features that could only be acquired through in-app-purchases. We supported them early in their efforts and they abandoned us, or at least left us behind.

I've got a piano in me pocket. :wink:
In App purchases have been the painful trend with some music company releases on iOS. Suggestion for newbies- do not use a free version of an instrument app, and then purhase inside that app- if a full version exists (yes, iKM- I am looking at you!!!!!!).
Jason Schoepfer
Rocky Mountain Sounds
http://www.rockymountainsounds.com

My post was not necessarily about the price. I just think it's a bummer that once you have your iPad and keyboard, there is actually research you must do to figure out what type of cable(s) and extra hardware you need. People may end up buying the wrong cable or just left confused as to which one to get.

And to get back to the OP's question.
I like the pianos in Garageband. Not the best, but better than many. I think the classical grand is the one I use the most. You can hear the hammers in the samples.
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”