Lemur/Livecontrol2, is it worth the money?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Admittedly 50 quid is a lot less than most desktop software will cost, still it's a steep price for an iPad app... and there's no demo so the only chance I have is to ask people who already have and use the app.

Right now I'm looking for something to control Live and Livecontrol2 looks really interesting because I already have an iPad. I've checked out the older Livecontrol (TouchOSC based) but am a bit disappointed.
The interface is great, but since it's using OSC via Wi-fi to communicate with Live you have to setup an ad-hoc network, which is a bit of a hassle and does not seem to be the most reliable thing in a live situation.

So the question is: how is the Livecontrol2/Lemur combo compared to TouchOSC? Do I still have to do everything using OSC/Wi-fi or can I use MID with a good old cable?
I'd really like to have a plug and play solution, not something where I have to set everything up every time.

thanks a lot for your help!
Chiptune with a shot of Japan: Poka Bjorn – Wear the Happy Face

Check out Touchable.
It works, the server deals with everything and you have control over mor things than I can list.
Has a multi ball fx, similar to lemur, and has similar physics control.
2 way communication, you get a pretty good rendition of your session view.

Lemur is awesome, (I have it) but with dedicated apps like touchable, I find I'm using lemur more for midi control.
Touchable is more like a remote control for live.
And the OSC has been faultless. 5 minutes to set up, and now just pick up ipad and it works.

Will totally check it out! thanks for the tip!
Phader wrote:Check out Touchable.
It works, the server deals with everything and you have control over mor things than I can list.
Has a multi ball fx, similar to lemur, and has similar physics control.
2 way communication, you get a pretty good rendition of your session view.

Lemur is awesome, (I have it) but with dedicated apps like touchable, I find I'm using lemur more for midi control.
Touchable is more like a remote control for live.
And the OSC has been faultless. 5 minutes to set up, and now just pick up ipad and it works.

ok, I did check out TouchAble, which btw. looks like a really cool controller app for Live. Now the problems are the same I have with Livecontrol:
  • if I connect the computer and laptop through a router there will be a whole lot of lag going on, using pads to input notes (like drums) is almost impossible due to it
  • since going through my router is not an option, I need to create an ad hoc network on the mac to which the iPad can connect. now this has a whole set of annoyances. First of all, while on the ad hoc network I can't connect to the internet nor to other computers in the network, and second it's annoying to have to change the network settings on both devices every time.
That's why I was hoping for something more "cabe based" :)

I guess I'll just save up for Push...

you dont need to make an adhoc network - infact i never do... the latency is fine just connecting to your ordinary wifi network for controller apps like touchable and lemur

just a think - touchable does not work correctly with live 9 - yet... but i didnt see what the problems were supposed to be... and apparently there is a version 2 coming out soon

livecontrol is not as good a controller of ableton i dont think... but its good for more modulation stuff - and the note grid thing is excellent

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”