16gig ipad..how is it working out for you ??

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Karmacomposer wrote:Young man,

First of all - 16GB + 16GB is a TREMENDOUS amount compared to 16GB.

32GB + 32GB is a TREMENDOUS amount compared to 32GB.

Lastly, it is your Mom that will get the best deal out of this. She has no need for a 16GB iPad because she probably only surfs the internet and does email. Perhaps she plays one or two 2D games.

That is NOT what you are wanting to do.

I know this because my MOM (and i'm old, so she's even older) does the same thing - surfs the internet, does email and plays a few low end games. For her, a 16GB iPad is PERFECT.

For you, a 16GB iPad is STUPID for what you want to do. Not for NOW, but for a few weeks or months down the road when you run into the low GB roadblock.

Since you are a youngun, I doubt you will listen to any of us, even though people like myself probably have 20+ years on you (in my case, probably 30+ years). Trust me, we are wise and knowledgeable because we made the same mistakes already.

Why not benefit from our mistakes and not make any of your own. Pass on your Mom's iPad.

Since you are young, your eyesight is probably perfect. Wait for another 20 years - your eyesight will deteriorate. Of course, by then we will not need iPads. We'll probably fart music and think in Multitrack format.

It's your $$$. Do what you want.

Mike
y'know, i currently have 2 750 internal drives in my macbook pro...further to that i have 4 external drives that provide a total of 5 terabytes of storage....so, i'm not sure i need a lecture on hard disk space and how 16gig + 16gig is better than just 16gig...the reality is even 128 gig aint enough for me

my point is that the difference in price is daylight robbery...don't get me wrong, i love apple products but i get properly irate at their business and sales practices

as for this whole vibe from you...for whatever reason i don't get the impression you intend to be patronising, but know that you are

i have no issues with my age or any nonsense like that, but i'm a little interested as to why you have me down as some little kid...i feel like just as much of a young idiot as i always did, but i doubt you know the truth of my age

either way, it has nothing to do with anything...

while admonishing me for not taking your advice you are not taking into account what i have written as this thread has moved to cement my decision in my mind

i'm glad my mum is getting a good deal out of it...the amount of shit i've put them through in my life, they fu*king deserve it

you say a 16gig is stupid for what i want to do, while ignoring that the reason for getting the ipad in the first place is so i can read a full-scale pdf on a clear display without having to constantly pinch-to-zoom, and reframe the scrolling on each page

this thread came about because i suddenly got a little excited about the other things i would be able to do again since my ipod got nicked 2 years ago

i only wanted an idea of some real-world values to work out whether i should still be excited or whether it was just going to be a frustrating mess...i now know that for the apps i will be interested in that i will get a good experience from this that should take me up to a point that i a m better financially equipped to buy a model that suits the workflow i develop with this cheaper option

as for trusting that you are wise and knowledgable...why would i trust the kind of person not wise enough to know not to formulate such judgments about someone they know very little about....it aint rocket surgery....it is clear why SOME peoples' workflows would just not be supported by a 16 gig machine...aint no wisdom in that...i've made the same mistake buying hard drives..it aint a world away from what you are saying that i need someone to translate it into ispeak...i know it is a relatively small amount of space (alluded to it in my first post), and i can appreciate you have had issues..how about you appreciate that i might not run into the same issues as you ??

and what's this eyesight nonsense again....i have been wearing glasses for all reading, computer and tv duties for some years now...doesn't stop me from using an ipod touch...but once again, the ipad is for the very reason that reading large pdf's needs a larger screen...it's not even for eyesight, it's for avoiding constant resizing and navigation issues...even with regard to making music...the problem for me making music on the ipod had nothing to do with eye issues, but was to so with the size of the physical interface and my fingers...i could see everything perfectly, but playing on-screen keyboards was made difficult by screen size relative to finger size

You'll be alright, as in you will not be physically hurt by getting a 16gb iPad. You asked, in an ios music production forum, to a group of people who use iOS extensively, and everyone answered that for music it is not a good idea. For pdf's you'll be fine. I know that I thought I was only going to sketch out things on the iPad. I now use it literally in every facet of my musical and non musical life, and hardly use my macbook at all now (6 year old black macbook). And the apps are getting better and bigger. I remember when I bought a 4gb hard drive and though, "I'll NEVER fill this up!" But, if all you're going to do is read books and use nano studio, you'll be well served for now. Oh, and syncing nano studio between an iPad and iPod can be done by emailing the nsp file to yourself.

mrufino1 wrote:You'll be alright, as in you will not be physically hurt by getting a 16gb iPad. You asked, in an ios music production forum, to a group of people who use iOS extensively, and everyone answered that for music it is not a good idea. For pdf's you'll be fine. I know that I thought I was only going to sketch out things on the iPad. I now use it literally in every facet of my musical and non musical life, and hardly use my macbook at all now (6 year old black macbook). And the apps are getting better and bigger. I remember when I bought a 4gb hard drive and though, "I'll NEVER fill this up!" But, if all you're going to do is read books and use nano studio, you'll be well served for now. Oh, and syncing nano studio between an iPad and iPod can be done by emailing the nsp file to yourself.
thanks, that's helpful...it will take a conscious effort to keep on top of housekeeping, but it's worth doing for the money saved...it's just the wrong time for me to go all big-guns on it...

next year, we'll see

Meant nothing by it. From your verbage, you seemed to be a teenager.

Just trying to get my point across. However, don't listen to me. You have a brain and can make your own decisions.

Mike

Karmacomposer wrote:From your verbage, you seemed to be a teenager
says the guy who uses the word "verbage"

anyways, i'm in my 40's so there's that

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:Here's another thing to think about when you have very limited storage space and suddenly find that you need to offload something--have you ever tried uploading 250 Mb to Dropbox? Remotely?

--Sean
i am perfectly willing to concede that i could find myself up against these limits sooner than i think, but it's something i guess (helped by this thread) will be shown only by my own experience

i know my posts ramble, but i have tried to make clear that i have no interest in the kind of apps/usage/content you talked about in your earlier post

my main tools for composition and recording wold likely just be nanostudio, garageband (and if i can choose not to install any loops i will) and sonoma 4-track

have no need for auria...have no interest in sampletank or any soundfonts or big sample collections...no interest in a single loop etc and as much as i love camel audio to bits, along with all their desktop stuff, i have no real interest in alchemy mobile aside from the templates to remote control the desktop version of alchemy

this leaves me with a possibly very lean app profile...of course, i want to use other synths, but many seem to fall well within the space i will have

the biggest thing for me to juggle would be audio recording, but as i have said there is a possibility of sharing these duties with an ipod touch

i have a choice between an ipad 3 16gig, in immaculate condition, shipped with 2 cases for 200 euros or an ipad 4 32 g with no case for 470 euros....

270 euros for a 16gig storage boost and a one revision upgrade...makes no sense to me,,,for that 270 i can get a refurbed ipod 5th gen with much more storage, a better camera and video camera experience, the ability to share compatible projects with ipad, and a much better gaming experience (for me)
If you are just going to use the apps you mentioned, you should be just fine. :-) I tend to be a power user of a sort, and am constantly trying to push things as far as I can take them. I've got about 70 audio apps on my system currently, and based on what you've told me, I doubt you'll fill things up like I have.

I do have a couple of suggestions though:

Instead of getting Sonoma's 4-Track, seriously consider getting Multitrack DAW. Also get Audiobus, AudioShare, and either iFiles or Goodreader. This shouldn't add too much space at all. MultiTrack DAW should be getting MIDI clock capability, and is expandable to 24 tracks and is VERY efficient. MultiTrack DAW uses 40-50 Mb of space. Audiobus would add 5Mb to that size. AudioShare and iFiles (or Goodreader) will be immensely useful for file management.

I would recommend the following synths: iMini, Thor, & Sunrizer to begin with, and DM1 for drums. If you can only afford one synth, Thor seems to be the most flexible. For sampling, get SampleWiz (Audiobus compatibility is coming in a couple of weeks and will stay small and fill in any gaps you may have with your sound).

So, in short:

Garageband
NanoStudio
Multitrack DAW
Audiobus
AudioShare (Audio Document Manager)
iFiles or Goodreader
iMini
Thor
Sunrizer
SampleWiz

I like to use a lot of effects, but you may not be like me. Consider Jam-up Pro, LiveFX or Turnado for effects.

With a setup like this, you should be able to do your sequencing in NanoStudio, and your recording to MultiTrack DAW and Garageband (depending on your destination preferences). You'll have a good assortment of synths, samples, and Drum sounds. The best part is that you will stay extremly lean and effecient. :-)

You should have plenty of room for other things to add as you see fit. I really do hope this helps! :-)

--Sean

P.S. I thought you'd get a kick out of the following:

For about 3 months, I had a quote from you posted on my wall at work because it made me laugh so much. It was a conversation that took place here (KVR) where someone asked what the best use of an android device for audio was--your response was something to the effect: "Hit it with a sharp stick while recording the results on an iPad!" :hihi:
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

mrufino1 wrote:You'll be alright, as in you will not be physically hurt by getting a 16gb iPad. You asked, in an ios music production forum, to a group of people who use iOS extensively, and everyone answered that for music it is not a good idea. For pdf's you'll be fine. I know that I thought I was only going to sketch out things on the iPad. I now use it literally in every facet of my musical and non musical life, and hardly use my macbook at all now (6 year old black macbook). And the apps are getting better and bigger. I remember when I bought a 4gb hard drive and though, "I'll NEVER fill this up!" But, if all you're going to do is read books and use nano studio, you'll be well served for now. Oh, and syncing nano studio between an iPad and iPod can be done by emailing the nsp file to yourself.
thanks, that's helpful...it will take a conscious effort to keep on top of housekeeping, but it's worth doing for the money saved...it's just the wrong time for me -guns on it...

next year, we'll see
I hear you on that, I do not buy anything I don't have cash for, so I'll deal with my 16gb for now. I got my iPad 2 because my wife, who is a speech therapist, needed more space for speech apps, so she got a 32gb iPad 3 (was current then) and I inherited the iPad 2. I will be getting a 64gb iPad 4 (or hopefully 5, maybe 128gb, we'll see) in the relatively near future, but only when the cash is ready. Then my kids will have a 16gb iPad 2...

I would vote for PDF Expert. Much cleaner interface than Goodreader. Goodreader's great, but PDF Expert is more straightforward.

mrufino1 wrote:
thanks, that's helpful...it will take a conscious effort to keep on top of housekeeping, but it's worth doing for the money saved...it's just the wrong time for me -guns on it...

next year, we'll see
I hear you on that, I do not buy anything I don't have cash for, so I'll deal with my 16gb for now. I got my iPad 2 because my wife, who is a speech therapist, needed more space for speech apps, so she got a 32gb iPad 3 (was current then) and I inherited the iPad 2. I will be getting a 64gb iPad 4 (or hopefully 5, maybe 128gb, we'll see) in the relatively near future, but only when the cash is ready. Then my kids will have a 16gb iPad 2...
My plan as well. Heads up: Those Milo Speech apps are terrible though, very confusing and lots of mistakes.

audientronic wrote:I would vote for PDF Expert. Much cleaner interface than Goodreader. Goodreader's great, but PDF Expert is more straightforward.
:-) I actually recommended Goodreader or iFiles for their file management capabilities rather than their PDF reading capabilities. :-)

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote:
audientronic wrote:I would vote for PDF Expert. Much cleaner interface than Goodreader. Goodreader's great, but PDF Expert is more straightforward.
:-) I actually recommended Goodreader or iFiles for their file management capabilities rather than their PDF reading capabilities. :-)

--Sean
I see. No question Goodreader does it all. But PDF Expert does what most people need. And if you like simple drag and drop folders, there you go. I use both :).

So you're using it to manage audio files?

[/quote]

My plan as well. Heads up: Those Milo Speech apps are terrible though, very confusing and lots of mistakes.[/quote]

Not sure what you mean, but she's a speech therapist working with children with developmental disabilities, so the apps she uses are picture communication apps and games that let people make choices, etc.
I think it may also be filled with Disney movies, etc that my kids watch... ;-)

We already decided I'm getting a new one, sometime in the summer. If you want to know when the iPad 5 will be out, just keep track of when I buy an iPad 4, then you'll know the 5 will be out the next week... Actually, an apple refurb 4 may be what I'm getting. That all being said, I am able to do the mixes on auria that I want with the iPad 2, so the extra horsepower will be icing on the cake.

mrufino1 wrote:
Not sure what you mean, but she's a speech therapist working with children with developmental disabilities, so the apps she uses are picture communication apps and games that let people make choices, etc.
I think it may also be filled with Disney movies, etc that my kids watch... ;-)
The milo apps are always featured in the Apple store and were developed for speech therapy. They are filled with confusing grammatical mistakes and lots of inconsistencies. The preposition one is particularly bad. She'll probably know what I mean :wink: .

audientronic wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:

--Sean
I see. No question Goodreader does it all. But PDF Expert does what most people need. And if you like simple drag and drop folders, there you go. I use both :).

So you're using it to manage audio files?
Actually, I use and prefer iFiles, but there are several at the Audiobus forums that prefer Goodreader. :-)

audiojunkie wrote:
P.S. I thought you'd get a kick out of the following:

For about 3 months, I had a quote from you posted on my wall at work because it made me laugh so much. It was a conversation that took place here (KVR) where someone asked what the best use of an android device for audio was--your response was something to the effect: "Hit it with a sharp stick while recording the results on an iPad!" :hihi:

:lol: :lol: not often i get to unashamedly laugh at my own jokes..actually, that's not true...i often laugh at my own jokes...but after so much time i can laugh again :oops: ....glad it gave you so much pleasure :D

i have had an android tablet for about 15 months...that comment was based on personal experience of the frustration of trying to use it as a viable music making platform....48gig storage yo !! and for what ?? relegated to showing movies on my bedside table

thanks for the other software recommendations...

re : 4-track....already bought it for my ipod touch years back, and it is still sitting in my itunes app folder...not sure if it is universal or whether i will have to wait till i get a new 'touch'

will check into the other things as well

have to be really careful...i know how app binges end up...like shopping in 'lidl'...everything looks cheap so you don't exercise any caution...by the time you hit the checkout BAMM !! :o

no point saving on the ipad if the apps make me bankrupt

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”