Best app for splitting ios synths etc

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, very new to the IOS world, picked up a number of synth apps (imini, Sunrizer, Nave etc), and have an Alesis Io dock on the way.

One app i need to glue all these things together is an app allowing me create keyboard ranges for other apps, layer sounds etc, so similar to multitimbrality, so that I can play multiple apps at the same time in different keyboard ranges, on one or possibly two keyboards.

I've seen a number of options mentioned in forums, such as Audiobus, Midi breakout box, Midibridge etc, but not sure one is the right one for my needs. Can anyone advise me, please?

OM

I have used MidiBridge to remap Beatmaker 2's drum machine so that it can drive other drum apps. Based on the description here, it should handle your splits as well: http://www.audeonic.com/mb_mods.shtml
Last edited by dswo on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi, thanks for the answer, unfortunately the link doesn't work, coud you retry? Having looked at Midibridge's webpages, as far as i can see, it can only handle one keyboard split, which would not be sufficient. Also, as far as i can see it would be hard mapping specific ios synth presets to Midibridge to save in 'scenes', but I could be wrong. In a perfect world, it would be great to be able to save scenes with direct links to ios synth presets. Is this possible?

I mean save scenes with IOS synth presets saved by their name, not GM (1-127) values, which i have seen on a few of the possible options.

I just fixed the link (period was getting picked up as part of the URL). As for your questions: if you don't get answers here (and you may), I would just email apps@audeonic.com directly. If MidiBridge won't do what you need, look at iMIDIPatchBay; I haven't tried it, because MidiBridge does what I need and is considerably less expensive.

Two more considerations:

(a) iPads have less CPU power than recent desktops, so you may not be able to more than a couple synths at a time. Depending on the patch, or if one of those synths is Thor, you may not be able to layer anything.

(b) Are you playing from the touchscreen or a physical keyboard? If it's the former, you might look at SlideControl FS (though it hasn't been updated in awhile and is liable to break with an OS update). If your're using a physical keyboard, check to see if your keyboard can handle the split for you, sending each zone to its own MIDI channel. (I know that the Novation Impulse can do this, and the Roland APro series cannot.)

Hi David, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the proposed master keyboard i want to use isn't multitimbral. I would also assume that it would be better to have everything, if possible, within the sphere of the Ipad, if that is possible. Thanks for your suggestions.

This might be of interest, and there's a free 'lite' version as well, so at least it won't cost you anything to try: http://www.imidipatchbay.com/

Splits:

With the latest versions of MidiBridge you can use the Stream Byter module to split into as many zones as you like, discrete, layered and overlapping. It's a little tricky to set up, but I can write the requisite rulesets for you if you email your requirements or post on our forum.

Scenes/recalling sounds on 3rd party synths:

If a synth app responds to program change messages to select sounds, then you can setup MidiBridge to issue the relevant program change to the relevant synth as you load in scenes from your master keyboard using program changes. Scenes can be given user friendly names.
Regards, Nic (Audeonic Apps).

audeonic wrote:With the latest versions of MidiBridge you can use the Stream Byter module to split into as many zones as you like, discrete, layered and overlapping.
The power of this one app is truly astonishing.

@ audeonic, thanks for the input, i may well take you up on the offer.

Audeonic to the rescue.
Nice to see support like this. I think I'll go get MidiBridge just because of support like this.

FrEWI recommends using MidiBridge for more advanced requirements anyway. Will most likely help with advanced use of the EWI.

Kudos
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Thinking along other lines, is there an option in Cubasis or Auria to create multitimbral set-ups accross ios synths, for playing, and i assume, recording as well? That would be good, and maybe more of an all-in-one solution?

omvibes wrote:Thinking along other lines, is there an option in Cubasis or Auria to create multitimbral set-ups accross ios synths, for playing, and i assume, recording as well? That would be good, and maybe more of an all-in-one solution?
When I last looked Auria didn't have any sort of midi.

With Cubasis you could layer them one or 2 at a time in Audiobus, but probably best to build up one at a time especially on ipad 2 or 3
Instant human just add coffee

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”