MIDI Gear with Android???

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone!

I was just thinking... the way that you can connect MIDI gear to an Ipad to control daw apps, etc. And I ask myself, could the same thing be achieved with an Android Tablet or phone?

Something like connecting a MIDI keyboard to an Android Tablet and control a daw like for example: FL Studio for Android or Caustic 2?

If this could be achieved, it would be awesome 8)
Abiky Lifeman - Musician

Yes.
It is possible- You need a phone that can accept a so called OTG-USB cable and a midi keyboard that accept usb cable... But as I saw in an earlier post that you have a Samsung Galaxy 4 it is not a problem. The cable is easy to find in a computer store and should cost you under ten dollars or so.
Not all music applications can accept a midi keyboard but there is a fair amount of them that do...
But it comes with latency but at least you can sketch ideas and you do not have to play with the small keyboard on the display...
You can see in the Playstore description what synthesizers and applications that you can play with midi...
But for example with Caustic 2 this is possible but you will have to wait until Caustic 3 for being able to record directly into the app.
Some of the applications that I use for playing with midi keyboard is-

Shape synth-
awesome digital bit sounds and built arpeggiator- for free.

Heat synthesizer-
maybe the most advanced synthesizer for Android also comes with a built arpeggiator- definitively worth buying.

Music synthesizer-
Not very advanced but the sounds it comes with are nice. For free.

Common Analog synthesizer-
Comes in two versions one with midi and is one of the better synthesizers for Android- For free.

For piano there is Grand Piano Pro-
the same developer also released Organs with midi.

This are the ones that I am using but am sure that there is some that got missed...

Also do not forget to check out musicalandroid.com for this kind of information.
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

Thanks, buddy! If I ever need to connect a tablet to a MIDI keyboard (let's say Nexus 7) do I need an specific cable for that specific model or is it one cable fits all phones and tablets?

Also, thanks for the apps list! I will check them out :D
Abiky Lifeman - Musician

Think that all of the OTG-USB cables comes with the mini jack that you have on the telephones and most tablets.
I have a tablet with a wider entry jack and am not sure what jack Nexus 7 have but think that it is a smaller one so it should work.
You will notice when you see the cable.
Also the cable can be used for other purposes too so it is a good thing to have in general...
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

musical android wrote:Think that all of the OTG-USB cables comes with the mini jack that you have on the telephones and most tablets.
I have a tablet with a wider entry jack and am not sure what jack Nexus 7 have but think that it is a smaller one so it should work.
You will notice when you see the cable.
Also the cable can be used for other purposes too so it is a good thing to have in general...
Thanks for the info! This OTG-USB cable can also be used to plug in external hard drives, flash drives, etc. Awesome! You can also plug in a mouse with this 8)
Abiky Lifeman - Musician

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”