Inter app audio

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zach_retronyms wrote:An update to Tabletop with inter-app audio support is on its way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAMIATPk ... e=youtu.be
:o Are the knobs of that Mastermind device automapping parameters of IAA enabled apps?

BiancaNeve wrote:According to a post on Discchord from the dev of nlog there's no limit to the number of IAA app nodes other than system resources.
Ah, found the article you spoke of. Here's part of it. I noticed that it too origially stated that only one node could be used at a time.

Quote from Dischord:
Although not as flexible as Audiobus' multiple app chains - IAA is limited to one app going into only one other app - nor as modular as JACK, this is definitely an impressive new way of connecting music apps!

Correction: Apparently I still don't have my head around all of what IAA is capable of! Nave developer Rolf Wöhrmann commented here with a correction:

"The host can [have] as many node apps involve as he likes. You could even build an AudioBus-like host app which chains 3 nodes together. You could a DAW-like thing. Or you could implement a JACK-like network of node apps orchestrated by the host app. The only limit is your imagination, and of course the CPU/RAM power."
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

When you want an IK guy there's no sign of em......
Last edited by BiancaNeve on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Instant human just add coffee

Isn't inter app MIDI also included?

miden wrote:Isn't inter app MIDI also included?
I don't know, but that would be huge.

BiancaNeve wrote:When you want an IK guy there's no sign of em......
I missed your post, I do of course have a box where PMs go if sent to me, etc... Anyway, there is no video or specific docs that I have access to with regard to running AmpliTube as a filter app but I also know that we are looking to do what we can to expand the compatibility there and I will request a video for it as I feel it would be helpful (like our Audiobus videos). Thanks.

BiancaNeve wrote:According to a post on Discchord from the dev of nlog there's no limit to the number of IAA app nodes other than system resources.
Yer gonna have to prove this one.
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Well when we get a IAA host we will see.

But apparently the generator app doesn't even need to be fully loaded for it to work and I've seen that (with limited success ) using TNR-I (limited by the fact that you need to open the generator to select the patch)
Instant human just add coffee

I'm open to anything. I just want to know what it really is and isn't.
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Just to clarify. As far as I know, you can only use one-at-a-time. You can load several nodes, but only one can be processed at a time. This is my understanding, but more data may reveal itself in the next few days.
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Some more information on iOS 7 inter-app audio from a Nave developer:

"Inter-App Audio will allow an app ("host") to let another one ("node") render MIDI data as audio with zero extra latency - like a DAW plugin

Further to soft synth nodes, there can be also effect nodes. Again, it runs within the buffer of the host app. No extra latency.

The host can store all involved nodes the project file.

Further, when the host app starts a node, the node stays in background. No app switching needed un less you want it.

Of course, Inter-App Audio can use internally some private APIs which AudioBus isn't allowed to use.

From the developer API Inter-App Audio is very close to the AudioUnit PlugIn API. Some parts are still missing, but it'll be completed later

Im comparison to AU plugins preset management & parameter handling is missing. But shouldn't be a big deal for Apple to add this.

Inter-App Audio and AudioBus have both their own strengths and point into different use-cases. IAA->DAW, AudioBus->app-chain

Inter-App Audio also supports exchange of transport control state, song position & sync data. A node app can remote control the host."

http://momupro.com/inter-app-audio-in-ios-7/

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”