Thinking about getting a Line 6 Sonic Port

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm curious about the 1/4" line out on the Sonic Port. Does this mean it basically bypasses the internal audio out of the iPad?

In addition to getting an audio input, I've been looking for a way to get good quality sound out of the iPad into my DAW and had been considering getting a cheap usb audio interface with S/PDIF for this. But if the audio output from the Sonic Port is improved over the regular iPad output then perhaps this would be enough.

Can anyone who own one chime on on your experiences with it?

Any device that uses the digital port is an improvement over the iPad's output.

Here's a list of interfaces that work with iPads, assembled by the developers of Auria.
http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

martygras wrote:Any device that uses the digital port is an improvement over the iPad's output.
That's a good start I guess.

I know that Auria list as I'm also in the market for a new audio interface (I've lost hope with Native Instruments sorting out their drivers). So I'd been checking it out to find a suitable interface that is class-compliant so this situation shouldn't rear it's head again. Although right now I'm leaning towards the Steinberg UR22 which although not class-compliant, does have good drivers and nice mic preamps.

The Scarlett 2i4 is another possibility (it's not on the Auria list but apparently works fine if ran through a powered hub) but Focusrite don't list Mac OS X 10.6 as a supported OS. The fact that it's class-compliant yet they still have drivers on their site further confuses me.

sprnva wrote:
martygras wrote:Any device that uses the digital port is an improvement over the iPad's output.
That's a good start I guess.

I know that Auria list as I'm also in the market for a new audio interface (I've lost hope with Native Instruments sorting out their drivers). So I'd been checking it out to find a suitable interface that is class-compliant so this situation shouldn't rear it's head again. Although right now I'm leaning towards the Steinberg UR22 which although not class-compliant, does have good drivers and nice mic preamps.

The Scarlett 2i4 is another possibility (it's not on the Auria list but apparently works fine if ran through a powered hub) but Focusrite don't list Mac OS X 10.6 as a supported OS. The fact that it's class-compliant yet they still have drivers on their site further confuses me.
Katherine from Focusrite has popped in on the Auria forum a few times to help clarify which units are compatible and how to "prep" them for use on iOS devices.

They are working on some fixes to the Scarlett mixcontrol, and she left a link to help keep us up to date on their progress.
http://beta.focusrite.com/releases/scarlett_mixcontrol/

If you can get an interface that does not require a hub, I highly recommend it as they are problematic at times.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”