iPad step sequencer shootout

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello forum!!! Long time lurker activated after a long search for an interesting hardware synth, and sort of finding it in iPad.

I would need to program a handful of patterns for sequencing, say, 4 external synths(iOS apps and hardware) in real time, preferably by inputting notes with midi keyboard and then also transposing the patterns with keyboard.

What's the best for me, or does such thing exist?

Koushion looks promising, but I'm not sure if you can use keyboard with it, and the transpose ring contraption doesn't look fitting for my needs.

What about Phaedra? Can you input notes while playing the music?

Step child wrote: What about Phaedra? Can you input notes while playing the music?
Yes you can, but I don't think it will respond to an external keyboard. At least it does not say it does in the manual and I have not tried to do it either.

But it is a fun app. I made a short video using it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgwISfRZQ0c

Thanks! Looks nice, and affordable.

But wait!? Has anyone tried 4FourPocketsAudio apps? The Aurora looks like it might be just the ticket for me! I would like to know what's the distinction between it and Synergy though.

Step child wrote:Thanks! Looks nice, and affordable.
You're welcome.

I have not tried Aurora and Synergy, so I don't know what's the difference between them.

Lemur 5 can provide midi sequencing along with control over HW and SW!

Ultra configurable bit of kit and essential IOS app!

I use Little MIDI Machine a lot to sequence my Modular Synth (or the Modular of other people, when visiting for a session).
Of course I also need that iPad MIDI Interface and a MIDI to CV/Gate Converter.

I never tried another step sequencer on the iPad, Little MIDI Machine is all I need in that area.

darsho wrote:I use Little MIDI Machine a lot to sequence my Modular Synth (or the Modular of other people, when visiting for a session).
Of course I also need that iPad MIDI Interface and a MIDI to CV/Gate Converter.

I never tried another step sequencer on the iPad, Little MIDI Machine is all I need in that area.
This is my favorite also! Besides the iPolySix built in one.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

LittleMIDIMachine rocks! But for sequencing multiple apps i think Genome does what the OP wants.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

treebeard wrote:Lemur 5 can provide midi sequencing along with control over HW and SW!

Ultra configurable bit of kit and essential IOS app!
Im looking forward to that day when i don't need to buy an essential app every day! lol .. bought :)
I will need this for hardware stuff anyway so i didn't check out what you can do with it as a sequencer.
Can you create a 16 step long sequencer with custom scales?
:hug:

Yes and Yes! With lemur you can create as many stepsequencers as your memory or processor will allow - I currently have 7 simultaneous on the iPad2 and it has not showed any signs of struggling yet and this is together with 8 pages of midi cc parameter controls (hundreds of params). You can make the sequencer length anything from 1 - 64 steps long, possibly more but Im away from the pad at the mo, will check later but definitley up to 64! and the same for number of tracks in each individual sequencer, you can even set each track to have different lengths and clock divisions so track one could be 7 steps @ 1/8th division, track 2 32 steps @ 1/16th, and so on... The choice is all yours. Scales can be set too although so far I have just used the inbuilt scales - major/minor in each key!

ios8 update just been added to the store as well. :party:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”