Kontakt 5 on a tablet

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

So I'm looking at running Kontakt 5 on a tablet vs getting a V-synth XT, (seams that I'll be gaining a huge Hidef touch monitor whith the added advantage of everything PC (file managing & internets) better /more powerfull sonics and easier portability.

Is anyone doing this?

I'd love some feedback on workflow vs doing this on a laptop or Vsynth ( mainly thinking about it as a touch interface power sampler that I can use on my travels and import /export wav to my hardwhere for live shows.

Any info on stability and recomended specs /tablets would be very helpfull aswell.

Grazie!

Afroholic wrote:So I'm looking at running Kontakt 5 on a tablet
Tablet with Win 8 ?

Whatever works 110% and is compatable with Kontakt5 (Ive not bought the tablet yet ..

Your only option of tablet as far as I know would be a Microsoft Surface Pro. I've worked with a few, in a non-music capacity, and they're decent machines, but very expensive. A 128gb Surface Pro 2 costs around £799.

There is a better option than the Surface Pro. A much cheaper way to go is the wonderful ASUS Transformer T100. Full Windows 8.1 (not RT) running a quad core Intel Bay Trail Atom. runs Kontakt 5 great. I have one and it's the best little device I've ever used. It's about $399 in the US for the larger 64GB version (don't bother with 32GB unless you need to save $50) and I got mine at my local Microsoft store.

http://www.asus.com/in-search-of-incred ... book-t100/

Cheers for the replies!

The t100 is an exelent recomendation :tu: great value (almost the same specs as the Microsoft.. Thanks so much for that..

How do you like using it with Kontakt (seams like the UI of Kontakt is very touch screen friendly, alot of select functions and pop downs I can imagine that once 2nd nature you fly through that "hands on" layout utilizing multi-touch.. Versus clicking the mouse away ..Am I right..?

Another question .. Is anything praticulary anoying about using a tablet and Kontakt ?

Multi touch value ^ case and point :!: :?:

I can't speak for Kontakt, but many apps I've used with knobs and drop-down menus designed for mouse-cursor control were fiddly and frustrating as hell to use via a touch-screen. Zooming in and out blows. Maybe Kontakt is different.

Yheah ... I know what you mean.. I can´t stand using apps on my Ipad mostly when twisting knobs by dragging my fingers .. but Kontakt seams much more ''push settings'' orientated, I mean you just select modes and filters/fx via pop-downs and clicking buttons, a small controller with knobs and a keybed for the rest ... I would imagin chopping (waveform zooming) would be pita but even that is almost done automatically via auto-truncate and recycle like chopping.. so I´m really hoping this option can live up to my fantasy.. :pray:

I´m actually a hardware guy but Kontakt5 blows everything else out of the water concerning samplers so I´m looking at this as a viable option ..

Still waiting on feedback from Kontakt power users ..

Afroholic wrote:Still waiting on feedback from Kontakt power users ..
Kind of weird that Native Instruments themselves haven't put focus on selling this more.

For all I know they could be working on Kontakt for iOS/iPad. But why the need for that when Kontakt already is on pads running Win 8?

With for example a custom rig like this with a pad running Win 8 with Kontakt. Who would then need a Tyros?:

Its too soon to be asking power users about Kontakt on a Tablet, its not mature enough yet. Its at the experimental stages. Youll need to wait a while or be an early adopter. KVR people are trying different things here with T100 :

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=405737

When using K5 on the T100 for anything serious, I dock the tablet into the included keyboard. The Surface Pro keyboard is not included in the higher price tag. As others have already said, touch for pretty much every pro audio apps on Win 8 is just beginning (with Cakewalk taking the Windows lead as usual).

Why no consider a computer using a 30” touch monitor. The image will be larger and easier to use.

I mention this as I plan to eventually get a 30 or 40” touch monitor and run it from a desktop machine and Windows 8.1. Will do this as soon as a couple of my favorite apps are available for Windows 8.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”