Recommend Good Sounding Headphones for 100-150$ range

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Oh wow. I should have read the posts before more carefully... :/

I bought new headphones some weeks ago and even though I had the chance to test a few at musicstore cologne, if found it really hard to compare, especially because of different loudness levels. Also there are drastic differences in how comfortable the headphones sit on your head, but I think this is highly subjective, nevertheless nearly as important as the sound itself. What use is the greatest sound if you cannot stand having the headphones on your head for longer than a couple of minutes? Sadly this is something you cannot test at a store nor know from recommendations from other people...
I finally bought the beyer Dt880 pro because I liked the neutral sound and it feels quite good on my head. Only thing that annoyed me is the spiral cable because when sitting in front of my desk working with keyboard and mouse it is always in the way, but this is of course related to my setup with the audio interface behind the computer keyboard, and that is a thing you just cannot find out testing at a store...

skylit wrote:I have MANY headphones (including some hi-end electrostatic Stax earspeakers),
Insane :o those headphones cost 2000 dollars.... Can you share your experience with them, how good do they sound?? I'm surprised you said you work alot with sony headphones when you have those.... :hihi:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

mysticvibes wrote:
skylit wrote:I have MANY headphones (including some hi-end electrostatic Stax earspeakers),
Insane :o those headphones cost 2000 dollars.... Can you share your experience with them, how good do they sound?? I'm surprised you said you work alot with sony headphones when you have those.... :hihi:
My dad had a pair of these, and one day while he was at work I decided I'd listen to some Metallica. Loud.

However, being young I don't really think I fully understood distortion and blew them up.

>20 years on and he still hasn't forgiven me :oops:

I knew they were good headphones back then, but no idea how good until quite recently. When I'm a millionaire I'll buy him another set. Sorry dad :oops:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

OP, save more and get the 880's.
I love mine to bits.

mysticvibes wrote:
Stax (electrostatic) are super detailed, the mids and highs are incredibly smooth without any of the harshness you get with dynamic headphones (everything else). Stereo field is very wide, they are a joy to listen to. Without any doubt they are the best headphones I have ever heard. However, they are powered by a bulky preamp + a massive AC adapter so they are the least portable headphones in the world. Secondly, although they sound impressive, I wouldn't call them accurate mixing cans. Everything sounds beautiful through them, so you aren't always sure whether your mix actually is this good. Thirdly, they are very open and offer no isolation from the outside world. They sound incredible though.

Hopefully one day I can afford such luxuries or I just need to be patient and save up :lol In any case right now I am leaning towards the Audio Technica's Ath Mx50x or the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro Headphones. The Audio Technica's has many many glowing reviews and say they are the best sounding headphones for under 200$ However the Beyers are quite alot more however many places are over 50% off which again puts them about the same price range. So how do this to compare? From what I've read the Technica's have good bass range and good for mixing (ie flat response) and from what I've read in this thread the beyers are good hifi ones? How does the bass range sound? Thanks again for all the recommendations and sharing your views on headphones, I've learned alot so far... Peace ~Tim
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

i went for the Audio Technica after listening to some guitar dominated music, bass response is great but a wall of mids ( guitars galore ) made me buy them!

mysticvibes wrote:Even if it cost a little more I would be willing to splurge if they are that much better,, so you'd say the DT 880 Pros are better than the Sony's mentioned and the audio technica.. Again are these meant to sound good or sound flat for mixing purposes which usually don't sound as good as they can, ie the difference between an hifi system and studio monitors?? Thanks again for the replies, Im working on a track now and I'm really feeling the need to mix with some good headphones... Peace~ Tim
Here's the real key. You need to go and try them out. Everyone hears differently. As long as you are getting a clear flat response, you are doing about as good as you can with headphones. I tried the DT-770s and the ATH M-50x headphones, and liked what I was hearing on the M-50x headphones. I've heard that the DT 880 Pros are really good, but there wasn't a pair to try out. But it is very important to try them all out. :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Another thing to consider, is in what device you will be listening to them. For example, I do most of my work on an iPad nowadays, and the ATH M-50x headphones are 32 ohms, so I don't need a headphone amp to use them. However, the 32ohm version of the DT-880s is more expensive and inferior to the higher ohm versions. That means, you will need to get a headphone amp if you are using those headphones on anything that is not able to meet the higher ohm requirements (most everything that is not Pro). Not only that, if you buy a cheap headphone amp, it will color your sound and reduce quality--you'll want a decent headphone amp. In the end, for me, the DT 880s were out of my price range.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

dermichl wrote:+1 for the ATH M50x by Audio Technica - it replaced my EDIT : beyerdynamic DT770 pro and it's a huge improvement! although a little bit above your price range. but worth its money for sure!

i actually recently returned a pair of dt770 pros to guitar center. so, i went there with an under 190 range, i asked what the best? guy showed me athm 50x listened, they sound really bad, put in the beyers, bam! they sounded f**king great like real studio monitors attached to my ears! brought them home to see how they would work for me, DAMN they hurt my ears the bass boost was driving me nuts! its was ridiculous how bassy these piece of shits where. the bass was so obnoxious as if to say, here i am! do you hear me??? how about now? BLOOOOOOOOOOOoooooomOWWWWWW! then i go on gearslutz and see how truly hated these headphones are and, tons of people saying there dt770 pros broke and crackle in the ears (which is huge issue with this model dt770pro)

in retrospect, even though the ath m50s sounded crap, i think that they were probably very close to the true bass of the song. they were pretty flat too. i can't say the bass was hurtful in anyway to my ears. i also tried sony mdr7506s years ago also would NOT recommend them due to how the highs hurt my ears. if its truly possible to mix a song on headphones, have it translate well, and not hurt your ears, well then, ive got nothing.

that said, i do have a pair of seinhesier hd201s i bought at xmas for 21 dollars and i will say, that these sound great. i do wonder, what the more pricy seinhesisers sound like. if for 21 dollars i get a headphone that does not hurt my ears and is very non fatiguing compared to the shit dt770s that cost over 200 then maybe you should look into seinhesier. this company seems to put their heart and soul into there products.

AstralExistence wrote:dt770 pros
You do realise they're designed for tracking, and especially for drummers.
DT880's and 990's are flatter and for mastering/monitoring.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
That's the DT-770 M which is targeted at drummers and FOH mixing (insane -30dB isolation) I have them, and there's a bit too much in the 160 Hz region but you learn to live with that. I use them for FOH, not studio work.

If you go for the 250 Ohm model (of any brand / type! ) then first investigate weather your headphone output can supply a VERY LOUD level. I'd say 80 Ohm is a safer bet to get enough juice into them on any average headphone output.

And yes: try them out is nescessary. Do you order your shoes online also? I dont...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
That's the DT-770 M which is targeted at drummers and FOH mixing (insane -30dB isolation) I have them, and there's a bit too much in the 160 Hz region but you learn to live with that. I use them for FOH, not studio work.

If you go for the 250 Ohm model (of any brand / type! ) then first investigate weather your headphone output can supply a VERY LOUD level. I'd say 80 Ohm is a safer bet to get enough juice into them on any average headphone output.

And yes: try them out is nescessary. Do you order your shoes online also? I dont...
I wasn't actually aware of the M's.

Even the non-M's are designed for tracking if I'm not mistaken.
In any event, they're certainly not intended for mastering/fine mixing.

Any Audio Technica M50-M50X's can you tell what you did for the burn in period. Some recommend 40 hours pink noise and modulations sweep to improve the sound?

I picked up the M50'x with a fiio 6 amp... Here
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-Pr ... al_qh_dp_t

Should come in next few hours :party:

TTU Youtube

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”