Best way to use iPad and MIDI/USB keyboard in rehearsal studio?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some friends asked if I wanted to jam in their studio playing keys. Now I want to try using my iPad4 instead of carrying around my laptop and audio interface.

I have a CCK but because of the lightning-connection it always dangles and feels unstable.
I already ordered another type which has a seperate box to tackle the dodgy connection but I was wondering about audioquality:

My plan is to simply connect my MIDI/USB keyboard with the CCK and use a mini to 1/4 jack for the PA.

However, another friend has the IK Multimedia Irig Pro -which I can borrow. It doesn't have USB but I can just connect a MIDI-cable to my keyboard and then route the Irig to the PA.

Will there be any noticable difference in audioquality between using a CCK and the Irig Pro?
It's simply for jamming so no recording or anything...
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Since in either case you will be using the headphone jack to get the sound out of your Ipad there won't be any significant difference.
Instant human just add coffee

Actually I'm unfamiliar with the IRig. Are you saying I can use it as the output to the PA for better audioquality?

So then I'd have to use a CCK to connect my keyboard to the iPad then use the jack-out to connect to the IRig and from the IRig another jack to the PA?
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

No I'm saying the irig pro has no audio output.

I see. Tnx!

BiancaNeve wrote:No I'm saying the irig pro has no audio output.

Perhaps you're thinking of something else. IKMultimedia's iRig Pro DOES, indeed, have audio output:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpro/

And it doesn't use the headphone jack. It's a great interface.

Hope this helps

hueynym wrote:..IKMultimedia's iRig Pro DOES, indeed, have audio output:
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpro/

And it doesn't use the headphone jack. It's a great interface.

Hope this helps
That's the one indeed! Tnx! I've never used it and that friend of mine only uses it for his guitar routed to iPad so I was unfamiliair with the connection options.

So which routing will give me the best audio output?

As far as I can see Irig pro has Audio Out to the ipad but no possibility of connecting direct to a pa. Hence my original comment that audio to the pa would come via the headphone socket.

According to Sweetwater it has no audio out. Unlike the Line6 Sonic port for example.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRigPro

I'll say -regardless of how much info is available for the IRig- it's very difficult to find good info about options for connecting and such.
I've only taken a quick glance at it so I have no idea whether it has audio out...

MIDI options aside, the iRig Pro only benefits audio going in - so good for playing guitars through amplitude for example or audio recording into whichever app but for audio out you're still using the device headphone socket. So no benefit over your original idea of connecting via the CCK.

For a rehearsal situation, I'd imagine that's fine - assuming the PA setup allows the lower output of the headphone out to be adequately boosted.

If audio quality is important you need to consider the next stage up with something like
Focusrite iTrack Solo: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iTrackSolo/
Or Roland Duo-Capture EX: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DuoCaptureEX/

just my thrupence ha'penny worth

knockman wrote:MIDI options aside, the iRig Pro only benefits audio going in - so good for playing guitars through amplitude for example or audio recording into whichever app but for audio out you're still using the device headphone socket. So no benefit over your original idea of connecting via the CCK...
I see. Thanks! So the iRig doesn't have audio out after all..

While iRig PRO doesn't have a direct out, unless you are going to go with a full USB audio interface via CCK you may want to compare the iPad output to that of other small iOS interfaces and see if there is any true leap in quality... I think you'd be surprised at the results.

I'm not sure what it is you're saying here. You mean my iPad4 and iPhone5 will give the same audio quality?

Anyway, it's the first time I'll try using my iPad in a 'live' situation. Maybe in the future I will be upgrading my kit and look into the different AI's. I do like the idea of the iRig PRO -being able to connect all of my gear- for quick recording om my iPad on the road but I don't know yet if I'll be using it for performing.

I think he's saying that the quality of audio from the built in headphone socket is pretty much indistinguishable from that of direct audio outputs.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”