Akai iMPC Pro thread

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS
iMPC iMPC Pro

It's out now and looks really good. I've only got a iPad1 so can use this app but was hoping to see other folks impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSSqk4Jd-V4

Features:
  • Sample audio from the iPad microphone, line-in, or your music library using the multi-touch turntable interface
    64 tracks for flexible multi-tracking recording and production
    Sample Editor with undo history for slicing, chopping, trimming, and categorizing your loops and samples
    New Timeline View opens a multi-touch gestural editor for sequencing, recording, and editing
    New Flux mode lets you warp and glitch your beats in real-time or with automation
    Precision Knobs expand on command for precisely dialing in parameters
    3D-performance mode lets your perform with your iPad’s accelerometer
    Turbo Duck effect fattens up your tracks with sidechain compression
    Sound library featuring 1,200+ samples from sound designer Richard Devine
    Improved sampling workflow with re-sampling and sample library organization
    16 Levels mode with attack, velocity, length, and tuning settings for quickly creating variations of your sounds
    Note Variation slider lets you adjust attack, velocity, length, and tuning as you play
    Onboard effects include delay, bit crusher, and master compressor/limiter
    Live Sequence queuing for real-time performance and playback
    Time correct: 1/8 note – 1/32T with variable swing
    MPC Note Repeat featuring 1/8 note – 1/32T timing with latch
    Supports Inter-App Audio in iOS7 for sampling from your other music apps
    AudioCopy and AudioPaste for copying/pasting beats and sequences from compatible apps
    Seamless integration with Retronym’s Tabletop app for iPad, a modular audio environment
    Export tracks to MPC Software for use with MPC Renaissance and MPC Studio
    Works with MPC Element via the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)
    Supports WIST, wireless Sync Start protocol from Korg
    Community sharing built-in: directly upload to SoundCloud, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or export to your computer
    iOS support for simple drag-and-drop, plucking, and multi-touch music gestures
    Interactive gesture control for automation, mixing, and effects

Has anyone tried it.

grabbed it, played with it for a few min under the desk at work :)

I think its going to take a bit more time to get used to it than gadget did. It feels alot more indepth, more mixing features, and of course samples, over gadget. Sort of feels like the gadget of sampling

btw, heres peter's run down on it:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/07/h ... roduction/
Last edited by ezelkow1 on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

At first I saw the words 'MPC' and 'Pro' in the same sentence and I was all like 'yay'!

Then I saw what it was and I was all like 'aawwwwww' :(

No midi sync, hello.

tehlord wrote:At first I saw the words 'MPC' and 'Pro' in the same sentence and I was all like 'yay'!

Then I saw what it was and I was all like 'aawwwwww' :(
You're not the only one. Akai's products have been getting lamer and lamer. :(

-Sam

topaz wrote:No midi sync, hello.

Thanks.. Saved me a lot of time and maybe an IPad upgrade..

That's a great review thanks. Seems like a great app.

These comments are funny. Next time you price a hardware MPC or even something simple like a software MPC, try putting MPC Pro and $12.99 in a sentence....

It's a tabletop ready app. It's version 1. It's also pretty fun.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Why is it funny to want MIDI sync ? don't you want to incorporate it into your studio . they've never had midi sync in any of their apps.

Surely it's a basic "Pro" requirement.

Well, it does have midi sync. With Tabletop. But generally for $12.99 I don't consider the word pro to be of any significance at all. If I want "Pro" I expect a little more "pro" price. It's all icing on the cake to have a somewhat functional MPC like app for that price.

It's pretty fun and has a ton of features and will get updated. Not really finding complaints right now. Sorry.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

I love drum sampler apps and was waiting for this one. I use Beatmaker 2 heavily and have put together some 20 performances with a padKontrol and that one. It's not perfect either, but it's $20! This stuff is really affordable. The fact they came out with a better iMPC shows they listen. Give it some time and send some email requests for general midi sync and maybe it will happen.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Personally I prefer a race to the top not the bottom.

beatmaker 2 has midi sync as do many other apps.

this is pure oversight by retronyms, they have not even commented and plenty of people have asked.

They are not the only ones guilty of no midi sync, Korg also fall short here.

Tabletop ? that has no midi sync either.

Wormhelmet wrote:Well, it does have midi sync. With Tabletop. But generally for $12.99 I don't consider the word pro to be of any significance at all. If I want "Pro" I expect a little more "pro" price. It's all icing on the cake to have a somewhat functional MPC like app for that price.

It's pretty fun and has a ton of features and will get updated. Not really finding complaints right now. Sorry.

topaz wrote:Why is it funny to want MIDI sync ? don't you want to incorporate it into your studio . they've never had midi sync in any of their apps.

Surely it's a basic "Pro" requirement.
The usage of the word "Pro" in software is mainly marketing gibberish to make you buy it, or feel "pro" when using it. Therefor i don't see much sense in arguing what specifications this app has to fulfill to justify it's "Pro" status. Also i'm not sure if it really aims at a market in which it would matter. Isn't it rather made for use with other iOS apps?

Wormhelmet wrote:Well, it does have midi sync. With Tabletop. But generally for $12.99 I don't consider the word pro to be of any significance at all. If I want "Pro" I expect a little more "pro" price. It's all icing on the cake to have a somewhat functional MPC like app for that price.

So you are using it, right now, with Tabletop?

Holy crap this one is crap. As in crap.
Buggy and uninspiring. Oh well, refund it is.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”