Unexpected pleasure: especially nice synth apps

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Like most of us, I own a lot of great synth apps -- Animoog, Thor, Nave, etc., etc..

Many I recognize as very well done and, while others love them, they don't "ring my bell." Alchemy, sad to say, is like that in my case.

But... I recently got Arctic Pro Synth and found it especially -- how can I put this -- attractive. It is a little like Sunrizer...something about it is inspiring. (Glad to see that the newest update lets you use it on the iPad 1 again!) Yellofier is another app that I have spent hours lost in. It may be just a question of taste (or lack of taste) and simply subjective but these are sonically satisfying in a way that's hard to explain. I recommend them to everyone.

You?
바보

Does the Korg DS-10 count? Found it for $5 at Gamestop!

arkmabat wrote:Does the Korg DS-10 count? Found it for $5 at Gamestop!
Sure...and getting it cheaply always adds to the pleasure! Arctic Prosynth I bought recently for 1/2 off...$4.50 or so. On the PC, all Korg's legacy software gives me that same feeling. I wasn't disappointed with their iPad versions but, then again, I expected it and wasn't surprised.

:)
바보

I think the iPad version of Korg's Polysix is better than the VST version. Fantastic sound, more features, everything is simple and on one page. They even added a triangle wave to the oscillator. All of the Korg stuff sounds amazing to my ears, even on the crappy iPad speakers (which to be fair are pretty decent for how crappy they are :hihi: ).

There are a lot of clangers as well... That synth called Michellagan or something? Aliases like a mofo and while the features are good on paper, it just has a bad sound IMO.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

Sendy wrote:I think the iPad version of Korg's Polysix is better than the VST version
the ipolysix is the first synth i've really had a stab at programming sounds for. the one-page layout is great for a novice like myself. i also find animoog pretty accessible

Sendy wrote:I think the iPad version of Korg's Polysix is better than the VST version...
Easier to see in any case!
Sendy wrote:There are a lot of clangers as well...
nLog pro...All Versions:

135 Ratings -- 4.5 stars...for some users a favorite but for me a slight disappointment

:shrug:
바보

8)

I have quite a few synths (no Arctic Pro yet) and while (or maybe because) I'm not that initiated in synthesis I like 'Grain Science' alot.
Very visual and the GUI is easy on the untrained eye.

Both Yellofier and Fingerlab's Musyc seemed to difficult to control for me. I never was able to make things concrete and got lost in randomness..
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

I find Pulse Code's Modular to be much much better than it is generally rated- the sound is very good- and stuff like voltage controlled delay really gives you proper modular soundscapes- also -it is still being actively updated with new modules every few months- sp things are going to keep getting better [hopefully we will get some more esoteric modules with larger ranges eventually- a complex oscillator or frequency shifter or analog shift register would be nice! and some sampling/external processing ]

There is an app called WerkBench that is silly fun, especially with my kids, for making human beat box type beats.

The "old" bleep!Box app is another good one.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”