Sneak Peek :: Ondes, Expressive Electronic Instrument for iPad

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice, I'm always interested in instruments that work with physical/gestural expression not available on normal keyboards. I notice in the demo video some aliasing or IM distortion resulting in phantom tones, or something. This is something that has frustrated me with pretty much any other Ipad app I've tried (Animoog, Geosynth, etc) and I wonder if this is a problem inherent in the platform, or if you can actually do something about it. With any of these apps, as soon as you start gliding and bending around on semi-high pitches, in comes that clangorous whatever-it-is.

Other than that, this one is looking pretty interesting and I like the visual aesthetic as well.

Hey glittle -- Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if it has to do with the youTube's compression? but if you could tell me what time in the video you are hearing the distortion I can investigate.

So many variables, could be the software itself, but also could be youtube, my audio card, my headphones, etc. I'm not in a quiet environment right now, but on a quick skim, an example would be the section starting around 1:22, as the notes glide around (esp. notable at 1:26/27) there is a lower-frequency clangorous haze that comes and goes. It's subtle. Try doing similar things up an octave or two (in the whistle-y or high theremin area) and see how it sounds. That's where Animoog and Geosynth and others fall apart for me.

Hey olynoco;
I just want to say that I find your apps/instruments to be ingenious, elegant, and inspiring.
I use Chordion and dot Melody regularly.
They are excellent examples of innovative, forward-thinking touch-screen instrument design.
I wish you all the best, and I look forward to your release of Ondes!

Thanks mformd! That's really nice to hear :)

And!!
Ondes is out now: ::
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ondes-e ... mpt=uo%3D4

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”