Does an IPAD have similar computing power than a PC to power those synths?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

UltraJv wrote:Really? I have it on PC. Without the cut down limitations you have. Where I use it with Nuendo, where I make music. I'm glad you can stab at on iPad. It will never be a plug in on iOS tho :hihi:
you mean you like good tools ?? :o

the artist that i am referring to is not affected by what you see as "cut down limitations". interesting how the argument gets reversed

I could run the plug on my netbook. I could run it on a windows tablet. I want to run it as a plugin. Kraftwerk used a Stylaphone as did Bowie. Funny, I don't see them using iPads. I think its because they aren't interested in fads, only the music. That's what this is all about. Kraftwerks sound was in part due to an obscure piece of kit. The Orchestron. It wasn't atop of the range fair light or Mellotron. The kit gave them a signature sound. You want to be a me too? Great. Individuality isn't about that tho.

UltraJv wrote:I could run the plug on my netbook. I could run it on a windows tablet. I want to run it as a plugin. Kraftwerk used a Stylaphone as did Bowie. Funny, I don't see them using iPads. I think its because they aren't interested in fads, only the music. That's what this is all about.
you could do any of that, as could i if i thought it was worthwhile

are you sure neither bowie or kraftwerk have ipads ?? and if not, could you imagine them repeating your same idiot arguments as to why people shouldn't

as far as fads go, the stylophone was pretty up there. pedophile-endorsed, no less. and just because kraftwerk used a stylophone, didn't stop them embracing much more of the cutting-edge equipment of their time. of course, there's that implication that ipad music, and by extension, the apps, are a fad. if it really is just about the music, then you wouldn't see any division in os or apps but would celebrate the music

so, you keep on championing the stylophone, paper-and-comb or whatever you feel righteous and non-faddy (while also keeping up the contradictory "i have the full version running in nuendo, no limitations. ios will never have plugs....i need plugs....i need plugs), bullshit

UltraJv wrote:You want to be a me too? Great. Individuality isn't about that tho.
now i'm a "me too", because i think the ipad is a great instrument/tool. and you want to school me on individuality

and to think, i swore off idiots for october. failed already, and it's only the first :dog:

DELETED
Fernando (FMR)

chk071 wrote:Caught up? I would say both Google and Samsung sell 10 times as many tablets as Apple does. Not to mention that they are better spec'd on the hardware side.
Here's something to consider when thinking about the processors in today's mobile devices.

Both the Access Virus Snow and the Waldorf Blofeld were released in 2008. The Access Virus Snow uses the Freescale DSP 56321 processor that operates at 275MHz and the Waldorf Blofeld uses the Freescale DSP56371 core operating at 181MHz. The DSP56371 documentation lists it's rough performace at 181 MIPS. Granted, these chips are designed and tuned for digital signal processing. Even so, these chips are almost 7 years old. That's ancient in the computing world.

Sure, you have the overhead of a generalized OS and the core isn't optimized for DSP workloads, but today's mediocre handheld ARM CPUs are much better than this.

In the right programmer's hands modern ARM processors from Apple or Samsung give us plenty of processor power for VA synth designs. We're really lucky to be honest. :)

Specs don't matter if the apps aren't there to cover your needs and in the case of audio, it's iOS all the way, at least for now.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Specs don't matter if the apps aren't there to cover your needs and in the case of audio, it's iOS all the way, at least for now.
Yep. Now I just need apple to release the iPad Air 2! One of my first purchases is the Alchemy pro mode. I can't wait...

:tu:

My trigger finger is currently hovering over Korg Gadgets. Looks like a lot of fun, but not sure how much I'll actually use it ... hmm.

I didn't know that the DSP chips in hardware synths are that low spec'd. :o I know it's different to running plugins on a desktop computer OS, but how do they manage to run the synth engines with a reasonable amount of voices? I know the Blofeld's sound engine is pretty good actually, as is the Virus', so i wonder.

By not having to perform normal OS duties while also running DSP algorithms. Desktop / mobile CPUs are bogged down by a huge number of other tasks that are invisible to the average user, but take up quite a lot of processing cycles.

ZenPunkHippy wrote::tu:

My trigger finger is currently hovering over Korg Gadgets. Looks like a lot of fun, but not sure how much I'll actually use it ... hmm.
I watched two videos about gadget this weekend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGfaJdMhcuE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGAVa0KGy6Y

I came to the conclusion it wasn't really for me. It's on my wishlist if they ever decide to do an impulse sale though. :)

chk071 wrote:I didn't know that the DSP chips in hardware synths are that low spec'd. :o I know it's different to running plugins on a desktop computer OS, but how do they manage to run the synth engines with a reasonable amount of voices? I know the Blofeld's sound engine is pretty good actually, as is the Virus', so i wonder.
What ZenPunkHippy said.

They also write a lot of the algorithm subroutines directly in assembly to optimize directly for the hardware.

It's likely one of the reasons we have never seen a Virus VSTi. They'd have to do a lot of work to transfer those highly-specific routines to the x86 processors in PCs and Macs.

They also run a grand total of one synth, as opposed to the expectation to be able to run 40+ comfortably on a computer-based setup.

Alright. Didn't think it makes that much of a difference. I thought they had at least 800 MHz to 1 GHz chips in those things. Thanks for explaining. :)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”