record midi from one app to another

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi,

i use genome midi sequencer, caustic 3 and beatmaker 2. I find genome good for sketching/jamming (like ableton) and see what works well, caustic 3 for synths/beatmachines and beatmaker 2 as a sampler/linear sequencer.

I'd like to record my jams with genome into beatmaker 2 so i can arrange/edit in a linear way, so each synth from caustic that was triggered from genome is now triggered from beatmaker 2.

Is it possible, any tips on how to do this?

thanks.

Depends on whether the apps allow audiobus/interapp or audiocopy/share and/or you can route the MIDI data.

Not sure really why you'd want beatmaker to trigger caustic as opposed to just use beatmaker as a sequenser -recording your jam with caustic+genome.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

thanks for your relpy !!!

regarding "audiobus/interapp or audiocopy/share and/or you can route the MIDI data" i think all apps allow most of these.

I don't understand your second comment, i use genome to trigger midi clips that are mapped to caustic synths (and hardware synths as well), which is great but i find it difficult to arrange/edit my song in genome. What i'd like to do is record my jam (midi notes recorded in beatmaker) and do there finer adjustments/midi editing.

thanks.

I didn't know genome (looked it up) but I think I understand now. You want to be able to route Genome to Beatmaker to record the midi data in a seperate midi track while not recording the audio generated by caustic and harware synths on an audio track.

Honestly I don't know if Beatmaker has that option through interapp or audiobus.
Most ideal scenario it seems would be if you could use Beatmaker for triggering the midi clips.

I do remember reading something about a virtual midibridge for iOS but that's as far as it goes..
Maybe someone else knows. Sorry :shrug:
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Spiritos wrote:I didn't know genome (looked it up) but I think I understand now. You want to be able to route Genome to Beatmaker to record the midi data in a seperate midi track while not recording the audio generated by caustic and harware synths on an audio track.
yes, exactly ! thanks again.

Getting the midi out of genome into BM2 isn't that hard, but I can't work out how to get BM2 to start recording when I press play in genome.
Instant human just add coffee

I think Spiritos means this: http://www.audeonic.com/mb_guide.shtml
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

@musikmachine yes i think MidiBridge could do what i need, i'm going through their help/forums right now but i feel that a have to do more hacking than playing music !

@BiancaNeve getting the midi out of genome into BM2 as in trigerring instruments in BM2 from Genome midi events, yes i already do this.
Recording midi events from Genomne to BM2 i can't do it, if you mean this could you please let me know how it's done?

thanks

All I did was connect bm2 to genome midi, which you must have done.

Then I changed the channels in bm2 to match the channels in genome and then pressed Record in bm2. The midi notes were recorded fine. I didn't try recording any automation thought.

But as I said i couldn't get the 2 apps to sync. But then again I don't use either that much I find them both a little confusing.
Instant human just add coffee

BiancaNeve wrote:All I did was connect bm2 to genome midi, which you must have done.

Then I changed the channels in bm2 to match the channels in genome and then pressed Record in bm2. The midi notes were recorded fine. I didn't try recording any automation thought.

But as I said i couldn't get the 2 apps to sync. But then again I don't use either that much I find them both a little confusing.
will try that, i've used both but BM2 as an instrument, BM2 confuses me a bit, i'll go through the manual.
thanks again !

zakary wrote:@musikmachine yes i think MidiBridge could do what i need, i'm going through their help/forums right now but i feel that a have to do more hacking than playing music !

@BiancaNeve getting the midi out of genome into BM2 as in trigerring instruments in BM2 from Genome midi events, yes i already do this.
Recording midi events from Genomne to BM2 i can't do it, if you mean this could you please let me know how it's done?

thanks
Yeah there can be an awful lot of configuring and setting up, still trying to figure it out myself!

But midibridge is the best app for routing midi on an ipad afaik.
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”