uFXloops Android

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
my name is Andreas, I am the developer of a new DAW for sample-based music composition / production DAW available for free(mium) on Google Play. This App is called uFXloops Music Studio and I would like to use the chance to introduce it here, and also offer my help and support for people who really try and work with the App.

So what it is all about?
uFXloops is a sample-based DAW. It has a built-in soundboard with slots and is so to say non-linear. Everything is built up by 'composition' and you are totally free in terms of using your own samples, one-shots / loops / instruments. uFXloops has a percussive and a melodic pattern editor and allows overlaying for up to 64 channels of sound. It has automatic pitch- and timeshift functions. And it has a lot of other features.

Currently there is a contest running at freesound.org, and these guys are very satisfied with the capabilities. If you would like to listen to some demos made with uFXloops, you can look on soundcloud, https://www.soundcloud.com/ufxloops

uFXloops had a very good start on Google Play. The main advantage of having such a distribution platform is that you can ship this App for Free to everybody in the world.
The main disadvantage is, that you ship to everybody in the world. Means: uFXloops sees a lot of downloads from users who should better have taken Music Maker Jam. uFXloops is a DAW, and some people who just want to play songs are of course surprised by the 'complexity' of a DAW. So a good guy at freesound tipped me and said, this would be the right forum, these would be a good audience to test and use uFXloops. Don't get me wrong here, I don't want to leave a touch of arrogance here - uFXloops should be for everyone who likes to use it, and everyone can learn it, but it's definitely a bit hard for some of 'nowadays' teenagers who think they make music when they press a few buttons.

uFXloops is still a young App and we will continously improve it. Next step currently is automation and effects. And my idea is, why not get you in the boat here. Let you provide the feedback, suggestions, feature requests. With the freesound users this already happens today, so it would be great to get into contact with you guys. I know you are the Pros of Audio here :-)

So for all of you now interested in trying this new DAW for sample-based music production: please try uFXloops, it doesn't cost you anything except your time. And you can ask questions here in the forums, or in the uFXloops forum, I will support your questions and feature requests.

Google Play Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... a.ufxloops

And a personal note: uFXloops is sometimes compared with Caustic on Google Play, which I think is not correct. uFXloops is a DAW, like Caustic but that's basically it. uFXloops follows different concepts and is designed to speed up music sketching, whilst Caustic is by far more complete (and more complex). We do not see uFXloops as a competitor, I personally love and adore Caustic and hope I can chat with the developers to say hello to these great creators. But this is also the reason why I think, personally, it makes absolutely sense to use both uFXloops and Caustic as they serve a different purpose.

Hey Andreas
I'm Andreas, the dev of G-Stomper Studio.
Just played around a bit with your app. I like the concept of using loops, even if it's not the thing I'd do. But I think there's a big market for that. And yeah, you're right, you can neither compare it to Caustic nor to to G-Stomper Studio, and I think that's good. At the moment there are a lot of drum machines or other sequencers popping out, all more or less the same, and it's good to see a fresh app with a different concept. Also the community integration is nice, and something a lot of users eagerly want to have.

One thing I'd recommend in general is to enable it for multi-touch. Especially for the mixer this would be very useful. Implementing it properly may be kinda painful on Android, but it's definitely worth the effort ;)

However, I wish you great success with uFXloops

Thank you very much for your friendly welcome Andreas (good name by the way), and my apologies that I did only mention Caustic as an example. I know you guys are at the top there, mature and bulletproof Apps, which make perfect sense. And you're right about multi-touch, also for the pads that could be fun, but still has to be thought over as we have long-click and short-click functionality there. The mixer tab is currently a 'workaround' to be able to adjust volume and panning for slots, and I personally do not like it too much, but it's functional enough at the moment and was 'quick development'. There will be a UI makeover in 2015 I guess, and of course it also needs to see UI improvements for tablets soon. It's amazing that more and more people use tablets which is a great thing, extending possibilities by giving us bigger screens. However currently I still fear the double UI work for tablets and smaller devices, as a tablet edition for 9-10" tablets really should look different and run completely in landscape mode. That is why first thing is to improve audio edit functions in all areas and build up a 'living' community which also quite time-consuming but worth the time. The more we get in touch, the more fun we get out of it. And that was, is, and will be the main motivation. If I did it for any other reason, I wouldn't be able to do it for long :-)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”