Cubasis newbie seeking IAA iPad synth recommendations

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I've started fiddling around with Cubasis on my iPad mini, and I'm rather enjoying it. Now I'd like to find some really good Inter-App Audio synth apps for use with it, and I'm hoping some of you fine KVR folks might point me in the right direction. Here's what I'm looking for:

1.) A good-sounding subtractive synth or two
2.) A drum machine
3.) A decent sampler
4.) An electric piano
5.) A hammond organ
6.) A SoundFont player, because I have a ton of old soundfonts lying around

When I was making music on the PC, my go-to synths were mostly Linplug and Cakewalk -- Albino, Alpha, DaOrgan, Square I, RMIV, etc. Something along those lines would be nice. (I know z3ta+ is on the iPad -- haven't gotten it yet -- and that neither Linplug nor Rob Papen are developing for iOS.)

Thanks for your help!

-Dave

Sound font player is easy. BS16i
Instant human just add coffee

Picked up the BS16i last night. I used to have BS16 in my VST plugins folder, but I eventually replaced it with SFZ+. It was a little tricky to get the SoundFonts onto the iPad, but I figured it out. This should at least give me some decent Rhodes and Wurlitzer piano sounds to start with.

I also picked up DM1 and Impaktor for drum machines, though I haven't messed around with them yet. Here's what I've put on my wish list for now:

Animoog
Z3TA+
Sunrizer
Cassini
microTERA
Addictive Synth
iVoxel

Other suggestions are welcome. Would love to find a loop slicer like the old Dicer VSTi, too.

Also, is it possible to use multiple instances of the same synth on one Cubasis project, or am I limited to one use at a time?
DAVE'S LOUNGE
Podcasting the best in chillout, trip hop and downtempo music on the internet.
www.daveslounge.com

Easiest way to get sound fonts on is to have them in Dropbox. You can then use the dropbox app and "open in" BS16i (or A bunch of other apps that use soudnfonts)

As you guessed you can only have one instance of each IAA Instrument at a time. But with a bit of freezing this isn't a big problem. If you have the iPad version of an app and the Iphone version you can use both.

My fav drum machines are
Drum Perfect and Molten.

Synthwise I like
The already lamented Alchemy (rip Camel)
Animoog
Sunrizer
Isem
Instant human just add coffee

The key thing if you are doing IAA, is to make sure you can do IAA WITH MIDI and make sure that the app has the IAA Transport. I have tested several apps, and not every app that claims to be IAA does IAA with MIDI, and some apps that claim to be IAA don't show the transport controls (Animoog and iMini, I'm looking at you!). So, with those things in mind, I have tested and confirmed that the following work very well:

1.) Sunrizer, iSem, Nave, PPG Wave Mapper, PPG Wave Generator, VirSyn Tera
2.) Funkbox (there are nice ones like DM1 that are horrible with midi and don't work correctly with IAA. Funkbox works flawlessly and allows you to import samples.
3.) Thumbjam (There really is no good sampler available on the iPad, but Thumbjam is decent and works great).
4.) BS-16i, Sample Tank
5.) Galileo Organ, BS-16i, Sampletank
6.) BS-16i

I have confirmed each and every one of these items and know they work great as IAA MIDI instruments in Cubasis. I know for a fact that there are others out there too, but these are the ones that came to mind and use the most. I hope this helps! :-) --Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Hadn't heard about Funkbox and Galileo Organ. Thanks for recommending those.

Nave and Tera are on my long-term wish list at this point. I want to do a bit more with the synths I've already got -- including Sunrizer, iSem, Cassini, Laplace, and BS-16i -- before I delve into the more expensive ones. Also, I've been messing around with using AudioBus to record Impaktor, and I dig the possibilities there.
DAVE'S LOUNGE
Podcasting the best in chillout, trip hop and downtempo music on the internet.
www.daveslounge.com

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”