Moog Model 15

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The first patch I've been able to sit down and really deconstruct -- Autobahn Bass -- is already paying pedagogical dividends. It uses two sawtooth waves with a third sawtooth an octave above -- but one of the lower waves is inverted. This turns out to be equivalent to pulse-width modulation. His Holiness Gordon Reid wrote about this technique in Synth Secrets, but it never really dawned on me how neat this trick is. So after getting the original patch close enough for my liking, I'm now experimenting with modulating the balance between the two waves in my Eurorack, which gives kindof a sawtooth-->PWM-->sawtooth crossfade. Damn this is fun.

ImNotDedYet wrote:
Cinebient wrote:The biggest downside of this app (even when it sounds awesome for an iOS synth) is that it seems i can not edit multiple knobs, sliders at the same time.... Hello? It's a multi touch device!
Or i missed a setting somewhere?
No, you're not missing anything. Moog has been responding to questions over at the Audiobus forum. They felt it more important to be able to scroll through the system while holding onto a cable, etc. So, the best you can do is automate it via a MIDI controller. (Modstep, cough cough)
I never even realised this when using the App! But it seems a bit daft. I understand why they've done it in regards to the patching - It works well to be able to grab a cable & then scroll around the interface. but would be good if you could toggle the behaviour so you can use multi-touch to adjust multiple parameters.

This is an insanely good App. Quite blown away by the sound quality on this. They've really nailed it I think. I've no idea how close it is to the real thing. But it sounds so bloody good in any case. The way it works with Audiobus is sublime as well. Pricey for an App but absolutely Worth every cent. Incredible.

Agreed!!! This app is a game changer!!!

Deep and phat - truly a KILLER!

❤️Model15

quick demo using moog model 15 (custom patch) and replika xt

https://soundcloud.com/lxegs/moog-15-techno-track

Good Sonic Talk tonight, with Model 15 developer. https://youtu.be/2nxTsxUKoS8

does it have zero delay feedback filters? if not I doubt it can sound like the real thing. from the demos seems to sound decent enough. really considering buying an ipad as apps quality and variety improve.

olikana wrote:does it have zero delay feedback filters? if not I doubt it can sound like the real thing. from the demos seems to sound decent enough. really considering buying an ipad as apps quality and variety improve.
Not sure but it does sound fantastic indeed. The first iOS app i bought after long time.
I mean i just like Animoog a lot more since it´s just perfect for a touch screen and i find the sounds more interesting and expressive.
Model 15 is really fantastic in those low ends (just Dagger synth might beat it) while i find the mid and high end just on par with many other iOS synths.
I never heard the real thing (beside on you-tube or so) but i find the app a lot more digital sounding like modular plug-ins like ACE f.e. But maybe that is the nature of the Model 15.
Most important, it sounds great and is a very affordable piece to dive into modular synthesis.
I still hope they will release this apps as plug-ins as well because it would be great to be able to create/share patches across platforms etc.
I like also that Model 15 offers a MPE mode and MIDI via bluetooth LE so that it just needs a few seconds to connect it to my Seaboard Rise.

just bought a new iPad Air 2 and the Moog Model 15 App.

Can say it is absolutely amazing. Connecting it to a DAW with studiomux works perfect on Mac OS.

Years ago when i bought my first iPad 2, i considered Animoog to be a gamechanger. Well, they´ve done it again!

The sound quality is absolutely on par, if not even better with the best sounding plugins, like u-he´s DIVA,
especially if you stream the audio through the Lightning Cable via USB.

The 4-Voice polyphony is the icing on the cake.

I guess i will buy more iPads, since it saves you a lot of CPU and is so much better to control via the Touchscreen.

Moog Apps apsolutely rock!

The sound quality is absolutely on par, if not even better with the best sounding plugins, like u-he´s DIVA,
especially if you stream the audio through the Lightning Cable via USB.

The 4-Voice polyphony is the icing on the cake.

I guess i will buy more iPads, since it saves you a lot of CPU and is so much better to control via the Touchscreen.

Moog Apps apsolutely rock![/quote]

You even don´t need such an app if you own a newer mac or at least one with el capitan. It just detects the iPad or iPhone as audio device.
I run the Moog app trough B2 reverb.....really tasty. I still find Animoog much more interesting.
Model 15 sounds great but i find it nowhere near than ACE, Diva etc. I think it´s a matter of taste.
Anyone knows if i could connect several iOS devices this way too? F.e. 2 iPhones and one iPad?

it sounds great, but patching with this thing is a major drag... unless i am missing something obvious. also, i'd like to be able to adjust the patch cable's transparency or even hide them completely ... especially when the patch is 'complete' and I just want to be able to see parameter names and dial positions. i'd love to find out that is possible, and i should have rtfm

You even don´t need such an app if you own a newer mac or at least one with el capitan. It just detects the iPad or iPhone as audio device.
I run the Moog app trough B2 reverb.....really tasty. I still find Animoog much more interesting.
Model 15 sounds great but i find it nowhere near than ACE, Diva etc. I think it´s a matter of taste.
Anyone knows if i could connect several iOS devices this way too? F.e. 2 iPhones and one iPad?
The fun thing is, especially when you want to connect more iOS Devices, you need exactly that app. (Studiomux) which seems to be great, and well worth the 10 bucks. Before i used the onboard Inter Device Audio on El Capitan, and a free midi app (midimittr). Had high Midi Latency and some Audio Crackling in Ableton, with studiomux all is gone. It´s perfect.

Regarding the sound quality: U-he ACE is my favorite plugin, and still underrated imho, but the Moog Model 15 can absolutely compete, especially if you have it connected via Lightning cable. What will absolutely shock you is the wide variety of its sonic spectrum from crystal clear heights to evil bottom ends, everything seems to sound amazing!

Animoog is still so great, a wonderful expressive Synth. Best 99 cents i ever spent! It sounds amazing via Lightning Cable too!

I´ve ordered a iPad Deskmount for my ipad, to be able to patch comfortably. If you don´t have the iPad in a great position, working with Model 15 won´t be that fun.

The Interview on SonicTalk with the Moog iOS Leader was great. He seems to be a brilliant guy, and i´m thrilled that Moog invests significant resources in this! What might come next?
Last edited by DayvanCowboy on Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daags wrote:it sounds great, but patching with this thing is a major drag... unless i am missing something obvious. also, i'd like to be able to adjust the patch cable's transparency or even hide them completely ... especially when the patch is 'complete' and I just want to be able to see parameter names and dial positions. i'd love to find out that is possible, and i should have rtfm
You´ve tried tapping the App with two fingers? Makes the cables transparent.

DayvanCowboy wrote:
Daags wrote:it sounds great, but patching with this thing is a major drag... unless i am missing something obvious. also, i'd like to be able to adjust the patch cable's transparency or even hide them completely ... especially when the patch is 'complete' and I just want to be able to see parameter names and dial positions. i'd love to find out that is possible, and i should have rtfm
You´ve tried tapping the App with two fingers? Makes the cables transparent.

thank you my good man, I suspected (hoped) this particular issue was somethingg RTFM related ;)

olikana wrote:does it have zero delay feedback filters? if not I doubt it can sound like the real thing.
A zdf filter doesn't automagically make something sound "analog".

DayvanCowboy wrote:
The fun thing is, especially when you want to connect more iOS Devices, you need exactly that app. (Studiomux) which seems to be great, and well worth the 10 bucks. Before i used the onboard Inter Device Audio on El Capitan, and a free midi app (midimittr). Had high Midi Latency and some Audio Crackling in Ableton, with studiomux all is gone. It´s perfect.

Regarding the sound quality: U-he ACE is my favorite plugin, and still underrated imho, but the Moog Model 15 can absolutely compete, especially if you have it connected via Lightning cable. What will absolutely shock you is the wide variety of its sonic spectrum from crystal clear heights to evil bottom ends, everything seems to sound amazing!

Animoog is still so great, a wonderful expressive Synth. Best 99 cents i ever spent! It sounds amazing via Lightning Cable too!

I´ve ordered a iPad Deskmount for my ipad, to be able to patch comfortably. If you don´t have the iPad in a great position, working with Model 15 won´t be that fun.

The Interview on SonicTalk with the Moog iOS Leader was great. He seems to be a brilliant guy, and i´m thrilled that Moog invests significant resources in this! What might come next?
There are def. some great apps for iOS. I always connect it via lightning cable into my mac these days.
I made over 100 tracks on my iPhone 4 and 5.....mainly with NanoStudio and a few apps, was a great time but i never got in love with iPads because i think it needs a bit more advanced iOS, especially on an iPad Pro. So i gave up on it. But the next generations of the iPad Pro could be interesting if it gets 3D touch and a bit more beef :)
But what i miss on iOS is mostly better FX rather than sound generators. There is no really high end reverb which please me. But yeah, it´s hard to beat B2 and Aether.
I still don´t know why Moog doesn´t release such beautiful apps also as desktop plug-in since we have things like the Seaboard Rise to play them even more expressive.
A few years ago i thought that iOS might be the future but i´m not so sure about it yet since i use it from the beginning and have/had several hundread music apps of all kinds.
IOS itself is the biggest problem. Connecting multiple apps together is a nightmare. Copy/paste and a few other things too. Yearly updates of software and hardware do the rest. But the worst thing is the app store itself. The searching in the store is a nightmare and doesn´t work well.
Crowd are used to low prices and even think 20 bucks is too much for a great synth. So the market is not the best for independent developers (which often make the best tools).
But i also think that this platform brings some great innovative UI´s and sound generators to us. The way to interact with sound and manipulate it is great on a multi-touch device.
I think it´s a good thing to seperate the OS because windows 10 sucks for me. Developers won´t make much software which is really multi-touch optimzed. IOS is still the king here.
Uuups, i got a bit off topic......well, Moog Model 15 is a great app :clap:

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”