Addictive Pro from Virsyn

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another (derivate of the plug-ins?) comes to iOS.
I would not buy any of the plug-ins due to the ugly and dated GUI's but the iOS apps are mostly very nice...
https://youtu.be/c1jlA21HYjQ
Last edited by Cinebient on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

They have promised AU in an update. I will wait for that before I bite.
Instant human just add coffee

BiancaNeve wrote:They have promised AU in an update. I will wait for that before I bite.
I meant, they mainly use derivates of their desktop plugins/synth engines to port it to iPads....just with much better GUI's.
IPhones are abadonded clearly indeed.
Maybe this time it's something new?
It sounds good but it doesn't sound much different from their other iOS ports beside the analog modelled filters maybe.
It looks a bit like putting together things from their previous apps and sell it again with a bit on top.
Maybe i'm wrong?!

Cinebient wrote:IPhones are abadonded clearly indeed.
Cinebient, if I'm counting correctly, (7) of their apps work on the iphone:

http://www.virsyn.net/mobileapp/

Although if you meant that this specific App won't work on the iphone: it actually probably could if Virsyn wanted it to; but the UI would be intolerable even with liberal screen zooming - I completely agree with that, Cinebient.

- But maybe it could exist as a iphone performance preset player - kind of like (The Great) Camel Audio Alchemy - which this (performance UI-wise) somewhat reminds me of -
Cinebient wrote:Maybe this time it's something new?
It sounds good but it doesn't sound much different from their other iOS ports beside the analog modelled filters maybe.
It looks a bit like putting together things from their previous apps and sell it again with a bit on top.
Maybe i'm wrong?!
I think that the filters might be upgraded - maybe lot's of oversampling - the app is also, in part at least, a 'closed' wavetable synth (closed meaning that users are not able to import their own wave files to be processed like what can be done in Poseidon - but that may be more about the way in which Addictive Pro's wavetables actually exist in the apps' memory - my guess is as a 'high-count' harmonic series (128/256/512?) group of partials, which individually change their amplitude over time; versus processed waves in Poseidon, where the resulting interpreted partial count for an individual waveform can be quite low)

I'm going to zero-day buy this - Virsyn apps are pretty darn efficient when it comes to cpu usage, so my gamble is that Addictive Pro shouldn't have any problems running full-bore on a ipad Air (I think that AP tops out @ 16-note polyphony; which is, in this app, apparently adjustable).

goldenanalog wrote:
Cinebient wrote:IPhones are abadonded clearly indeed.
Cinebient, if I'm counting correctly, (7) of their apps work on the iphone:

http://www.virsyn.net/mobileapp/

Although if you meant that this specific App won't work on the iphone: it actually probably could if Virsyn wanted it to; but the UI would be intolerable even with liberal screen zooming - I completely agree with that, Cinebient.

- But maybe it could exist as a iphone performance preset player - kind of like (The Great) Camel Audio Alchemy - which this (performance UI-wise) somewhat reminds me of -
Cinebient wrote:Maybe this time it's something new?
Maybe i'm wrong?!
I think that the filters might be upgraded - maybe lot's of oversampling - the app is also, in part at least, a 'closed' wavetable synth (closed meaning that users are not able to import their own wave files to be processed like what can be done in Poseidon - but that may be more about the way in which Addictive Pro's wavetables actually exist in the apps' memory - my guess is as a 'high-count' harmonic series (128/256/512?) group of partials, which individually change their amplitude over time; versus processed waves in Poseidon, where the resulting interpreted partial count for an individual waveform can be quite low)

I'm going to zero-day buy this - Virsyn apps are pretty darn efficient when it comes to cpu usage, so my gamble is that Addictive Pro shouldn't have any problems running full-bore on a ipad Air (I think that AP tops out @ 16-note polyphony; which is, in this app, apparently adjustable).
Sure iPads are better but there are things like 3D touch support they could add to iPhone f.e.
I also have the feeling iOS is more important for them now. The plug-ins look so mediocre compared to iOS version. Maybe iOS is the better market now?
I just don't eat this "pro" thing anymore.
Is it now a derivate from Tera 3?
Also those introduction videos are showing nothing.
I really like Virsyn apps and Addictive Synth was/is one of my favourite iOS synths but there is in general so much euphory in the iOS world for every synth even before release.
After many years of using iOS for music production i see it a bit different.
But of course i will looking forward with interest what Addictive Pro might offer.
I just hope they don't forget about desktop.

Cinebient wrote:Sure iPads are better but there are things like 3D touch support they could add to iPhone f.e.
I also have the feeling iOS is more important for them now. The plug-ins look so mediocre compared to iOS version. Maybe iOS is the better market now?
I just don't eat this "pro" thing anymore.
Is it now a derivate from Tera 3?
Also those introduction videos are showing nothing.
I really like Virsyn apps and Addictive Synth was/is one of my favourite iOS synths but there is in general so much euphory in the iOS world for every synth even before release.
After many years of using iOS for music production i see it a bit different.
But of course i will looking forward with interest what Addictive Pro might offer.
I just hope they don't forget about desktop.
They may be forgetting about the desktop platform - I see your point, Cinebient.

I also agree that the intro video doesn't show anything - but the sound of it is a definite 'wow' in my book!

At this moment (9/16) the app is shown as: 'available soon in the App store' on their website - and a few more screens - my question about the # of partials per waveform is answered (up to 256) - and apparently what Addictive Pro fundamentally does is morph it's filter and oscillator waveform between (2) sets - providing the potential for a lot of animation - in addition to Noise, FM, VA, and Ring modulation synthesis - that's just talking about the synth engine!

It does look like it uses UI elements from Tera and Poseidon - which can be a little fiddly when it comes to precise tuning, but overall: that's fine - not a bad choice.

Really compelling stuff -

How i said, not too impressed yet by the video.
We will see.
It would like to see modulations of FX as well.

And very cool it is too.
Instant human just add coffee

But it's not really new.
I just saw the thesoundtestroom video and he sadly doesn't show the edit/mod page and just played mainly pads (which i already heard in the older Addictive Synth).
I wish those developers would make some better videos. But yeah, that's standard in iOS world too.
O.k. It's cheap, so i can understand it.
From the videos i think it sounds really harsh in the mid and higher range but better in the low.
But nowhere near to Model 15.
Are there multi stage envelope generators like in Tera?
Modulations of FX?
How i said, i like Virsyn apps but it feels saturated and not new enough and there is NO info for people who would like to do more than preset browsing.

Really liked the original addictive synth, and gonna buy the addictive pro for sure. Especially the analogue filter, and the new effects section sparked my interest. Interested in the polyrythmic arpeggiator as well.

Addictive was already a great sounding iPad Synth, with great variability due to the morphing possibility.

Gonna post a quick review soon

So i´ve played around with Addictive Pro a little bit now, here´s my first impression:

It´s an incredibly feature-rich sound design monster. I didn´t like the presets very much, many seem to be recycled from Addictive, and don´t seem to make use of the additional capabilities. As soon as you create your own patches, you realize the massive potential of this app. It feels grown, built on the solid foundation of the original Addictive Synth. The modulation section is stunning, with dedicated LFOs and ADSRs for all important parameters.

The new oversampled LP 24db filter and the overdrive can produce warm and fat sounds. Sonically it plays in the first tier of iOS Synths.
The effect section is maybe the best of any iOS synth, especially the reverb.

The user interface is very good, almost perfect, due to the massive amount of features you need one tap more than ideally to skip between the sections. Still, it is perfect for the iPad.

I´d recommend the app to anyone, especially at this price point of 11,99 €. It seems to be best at evolving, fat pads, but honestly it seems to be great in other areas as well, i´ll just have to dive into it further.

What i like best about it, is the one stop concept, to have everything you need inside one app. From a powerful arpeggiator, which has always been a strongpoint of Virsyn synths and now features four tracks, to a stacked effects section. No need to fire up these Audiobus chains. It absolutely deserves the "pro" name!

It will be in the Top 5 of my synth app collection for a long time.

You can now import Addictive patches into Addictive Pro!

Does the Pro version arp sync properly to midi clock?

I should just cough up 10 bucks and answer that myself, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it.
That was my biggest frustration with the original, the arp would always drift from the project tempo.

I tried a Roland UM-One midi interface and Studiomux via usb, but no luck.
I was still able to to play it without the arp or modulation synced via Studiomux with pretty low latency, which is nice capturing the audio right into a track in Ableton.
Unfortunately it also drops out if you send too many notes, so I still could not get that addictive arp sound going.

opoint wrote:Does the Pro version arp sync properly to midi clock?

I should just cough up 10 bucks and answer that myself, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it.
That was my biggest frustration with the original, the arp would always drift from the project tempo.

I tried a Roland UM-One midi interface and Studiomux via usb, but no luck.
I was still able to to play it without the arp or modulation synced via Studiomux with pretty low latency, which is nice capturing the audio right into a track in Ableton.
Unfortunately it also drops out if you send too many notes, so I still could not get that addictive arp sound going.
The 'does it sync to midi clock' is a great question, opoint, so first a 'bump' for that -

I got Addictive Pro - it has in the past few days become literally my favorite iOS synth to date - mainly because of it's sounds' character & presence - it definitely can go in the direction of being very much 'in your face' -

Using voices that have the full 6 oscillator complement gives me (8) voices on an Air1 & (12) on an Air2 @ 60% CPU usage w/AUM as the measuring tool -

I do wish that it had more choices in terms of fundamental waveforms and filter profiles in which to build virtual wavetables from - I'm sure that the majority of sounds that one could want to make are achievable, but the # of parameters is so extensive, that it would be easy to get lost in that jungle - maybe some tutorials to help with that are in order?

This may be counterintuitive, but it would be great to have a computer tool where one could create waveforms & profiles using XL or something like that - that could then be transfered via dropbox or email & saved in the app.

That's a fundamental complaint of mine of the iPad: sometimes excessive 'finger-painting' is involved - it can become tedious when making precise adjustments with a small knob or slider who's travel handles too wide of a range - or a nuisance when scrolling and inadvertently throwing set values off -

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”