OT: Anyone else outraged by HP's 100% dropping of Tablet support?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HP decsion to suddenly and completely drop all support for their tablets is a real letdown. Especially for those who bought recently (within 6 months or so) as there was no word from the company they were taking this action.

What makes it worse is HP refuse to allow the bootloader to be unlocked so users cannot even use 3rd party ROMS to upgrade the OS. So users are stuck permanently with OS 5.1.1 and no higher.

I wonder if some sort of "Class Action" could be brought against the company for lack of transparency in their decision to do this? They must have knwon well in advance this action was to be taken?

What do others think?

Mwoah... I've got a Blackberry Playbook laying here somewhere. The OS was upgraded once by RIM, after that it went abandonware.

You'll get used to it. You don't expect feature upgrades from a car for example. And electronics have a shorter lifetime. Currently I'm typing on a Samsung phone stuck on Android 4.2.2. It's not the end of the world.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I thought they did that about a year ago, closely followed by dell and Lenovo.

There's no money to be made in Android tablets.
Instant human just add coffee

A year ago, wow! I did some research (obviously not enough!) on the Pro Slate and did not find that info in my searching.

@ bertkoor - yeah you could say that, but most if not all other android tablet makers at LEAST allow you to unlock the bootloader. Meaning one can install a custom bootloader and ergo install a 3rd party ROM - gAPPS for example which now has ROMS at Android 6 and above!

All will run fine if ONLY HP would unlock the bootloader which they steadfastly refuse to do!

BertKoor wrote:Mwoah... I've got a Blackberry Playbook laying here somewhere. The OS was upgraded once by RIM, after that it went abandonware.
Same here. RIM/BB even promised they'd port their BlackBerry 10 OS for the Playbook; never happened. And the Android emulation was stuck in some ancient version. Too bad for a nice piece of hardware, now effectively bricked.

Stuff happens!
Skrivarna Software - professional apps for musicians.
Fakebook Sheet Music Reader - the Real Book.

Yeah again I agree...but all HP need to do is allow owners to unlock the bootloader. I can see no earthly reason, other than bloody-mindedness (haha if a "company" can have such a thing) , that they won't allow this. I have spoken with CWM, TWRP and some others, and until HP provide the codes to unlock, all HP slate owners (not just the 12) are essentially stuffed if an OS upgrade is needed.

I need mine as the stupid HP headphone jack keeps "auto-sensing" after every audio file, whihc then leads to loud clicks and pops (audible through a PA) every time a new MP3 file is loaded.

At least with an upgrade to 6, things like the IK iRig Pro Duo have a better chance of working properly. Support in 5.1.1 is bare minimum!!!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”