new iPad pro is there (10,5" and 12,9")

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cinebient wrote:I tryed it now several times with GarageBand and if it´s well implemented it´s a very useful workflow.
As much as I think it's great, it would be absolutely useless for me. It's rare that I'm interacting directly with my laptop, as I have it mounted at an ergonomically practical height, and use an external trackpad/keyboard. The minute they fit the touch-strip to an external keyboard, I'd be all over it (That's if this wan't my last Mac :ud: )

Cinebient wrote:the pencil with the news screen is great bit it´s still miles away from pen and paper.
And imo that's a good thing :shrug:

I mentioned the perceived lag when inking, but I didn't find it affected the functionality in any way. Everything I wrote was clear, neat, and the pen accurately tracked at the speed I would normally use it (And that is different to how you use it when you want to test for lag).

To speak to your statement: Yes! It is miles away from pen and paper. However, in most ways (for me), it improves on pen and paper. In fact, apart from the ability to use pen and paper in direct sunlight, I can't think of any other benefit over this current tab/pen combo :shrug:

I almost wish I'd never tried it. I have so much written work that I need to do, currently, that would really benefit from this technology. Unfortunately my current combo (iPad 3 + Adonit Jot Pro) doesn't work well enough, and I am having to use pen/paper, and then photographing the results :(

Anyway, here's someone who I love watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ0k5xyeJH8

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
Cinebient wrote:the pencil with the news screen is great bit it´s still miles away from pen and paper.
And imo that's a good thing :shrug:

I mentioned the perceived lag when inking, but I didn't find it affected the functionality in any way. Everything I wrote was clear, neat, and the pen accurately tracked at the speed I would normally use it (And that is different to how you use it when you want to test for lag).

To speak to your statement: Yes! It is miles away from pen and paper. However, in most ways (for me), it improves on pen and paper. In fact, apart from the ability to use pen and paper in direct sunlight, I can't think of any other benefit over this current tab/pen combo :shrug:
The one thing I still like better about pencil and paper is the friction of the surface... both practically and aesthetically.

But that is small compared to the advantages of the iPad Pro. I have the 2nd generation 12.9" iPad Pro and Pencil. The feel and smoothness is excellent. For any sort of sketching, there is no sense of lag at all. It is a pleasure to work with and for sure smoother than the 1st generation 12.9" iPad Pro. It is great for sketching, drawing, graphics, painting. It has now arrived and I am entirely happy with the results and aesthetic feel of it!

Also, apps are getting better. There is now Paintstorm Studio... fantastic brushes and some very creative tools! and Affinity Photo for iOS. Affinity did a sweet job on the GUI and it seems to have all the same functionality as the OSX app. Procreate continues to improve and Procreate 4 is said to be coming this fall. I'm really looking forward to Affinity Designer on iOS too.

pdxindy wrote: Also, apps are getting better. There is now Paintstorm Studio... fantastic brushes and some very creative tools!
Looks interesting, I've been waiting forever for Corel to bring out a version of Painter for iPad but this looks the closest thing to it yet.

aMUSEd wrote:
pdxindy wrote: Also, apps are getting better. There is now Paintstorm Studio... fantastic brushes and some very creative tools!
Looks interesting, I've been waiting forever for Corel to bring out a version of Painter for iPad but this looks the closest thing to it yet.
Until the iPad Pro, I doubt there was enough power to drive Painter... So Maybe they will come out with a version for iOS now. Still, turn on the mirroring in Paintstorm and drawing can get rather slow.

Painter is not cheap so what would they sell an iPad version for? Procreate is what? $7? Paintstorm Studio is $13. Paintstorm is quite good.

There is already a cut down version on Android so it must be feasible. I would happily pay a fair amount for a decent natural media painting app on iPad (so far not found one as good as Painter)

I don't draw, but I do edit a lot of photos, for which I sometimes use my ageing Wacom. I am really looking forward to being able to edit them on the 12.9. I am forseeing a day soon when I can ditch the Adobe subscription, though I have yet to see a decent alternative DAM to Lightroom. I understand Serif have one coming next year maybe.

Cinebient wrote:
lnikj wrote:The 17" MBP has started its cycle again of random shutdowns several times a day, ultimately related to the faulty onboard graphics chip overheating. I very much doubt that I am going to be able to persuade Apple to replace the logic board again (it is on its 4th). The problem is that they just ship out five year old refurb boards.

12.9" 256Gb, Logitech Slim Combo keyboard, Pencil and USB-3 CCK on order. Hoping it will work out for me. Fingers crossed. 2 weeks to wait.
Good luck! Let us know how it works out.
Will do. As I said, I have an iPad mini, but I find it frustratingly small for audio stuff, which was not really what I bought it for in the first place, but that changed... I am so looking forward to seeing the Model 15 on the big screen.

Having said that, the recently released (and much hyped) Beatmaker 3 is the first DAWish style app that is perfectly realised on a mini. I can see and use everything without straining my eyes, something that cannot be said for Auria, which is pretty well unusable for me (not that I care for it much anyway - I'm a dabbler, I don't record instruments).

aMUSEd wrote:There is already a cut down version on Android so it must be feasible. I would happily pay a fair amount for a decent natural media painting app on iPad (so far not found one as good as Painter)
Paintstorm is not Painter... it is not trying to create the 3d effect and thickness of paint for example. It also does not do Watercolor bleed and so on. It is not really trying to replicate natural media to the extent that Painter is. It is good for digital painting.

One app I wanted to try, but Windows only, is Expresii

lnikj wrote:I don't draw, but I do edit a lot of photos, for which I sometimes use my ageing Wacom. I am really looking forward to being able to edit them on the 12.9. I am forseeing a day soon when I can ditch the Adobe subscription, though I have yet to see a decent alternative DAM to Lightroom. I understand Serif have one coming next year maybe.
First will be their InDesign type app... then the DAM... I hope I can keep using the non-subscription version of Lightroom until then! Lightroom 6 is the last purchase version.

Or maybe Apple Photos (plus plugin editors) will advance enough by then to be a viable alternative to Lightroom.

pdxindy wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:There is already a cut down version on Android so it must be feasible. I would happily pay a fair amount for a decent natural media painting app on iPad (so far not found one as good as Painter)
Paintstorm is not Painter... it is not trying to create the 3d effect and thickness of paint for example. It also does not do Watercolor bleed and so on. It is not really trying to replicate natural media to the extent that Painter is. It is good for digital painting.

Yeah so I've discovered - looks like it though - pity. It's Painter's watercolours in particular I would want.

aMUSEd wrote:
pdxindy wrote:

Yeah so I've discovered - looks like it though - pity. It's Painter's watercolours in particular I would want.
I don't think there is a good physics based dispersion watercolor option on the iPad... Rebelle is pretty good for OSX. Expresii looks amazing!

Interesting - didn't think anything came close to Painter but they both look pretty good for watercolours.

aMUSEd wrote:Interesting - didn't think anything came close to Painter but they both look pretty good for watercolours.
I'm intrigued by the brush in Expresii. So much diversity of strokes possible in a single brush. Seems both simple and powerful.

I own Painter (older version) but I stopped using it some years back cause it just got so complicated that it stopped being fun and productive for me. Too many tools and options!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”