Roli Seaboard Block is there

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Image Image Image Image

pdxindy wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:325 euros! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit: I guess in relation to their 'Rise' line, it works out ok. Still think I would prefer the '25' over the blocks, but the idea of stringing 3 blocks together is quite interesting
The Linnstrument 128 is 4 octaves and fits in a backpack. Well, you could make it 10 octaves (128 notes without overlap) but that is not as easily played. There is also an octave per row option which would be 8 octaves, but again, not sure how playable that is. I'll get around to trying it at some point.

It does not need a dashboard app. All configuration is fast and easy on the Linnstrument itself without a display and menus to have to dive into. The interface is brilliant really. There are Strum, Arp and Step Sequencer modes and you can do a split with different settings on each. It can be used without a computer and plugs into lots of older hardware synths since it has midi out.

Not cheap, but it is a beautiful well built instrument that is their one mature product line that they keep refining. It's solid and essentially bug free.
I do have various apps that break the traditional layout paradigm, on my iPad, but I have yet to really get into them (Except for, perhaps Orphian). I tend to feel much more comfortable with a normal 'board.

While I do see benefits to learning such an instrument, there is a pretty major drawback, for me - the size of the strike zone, and how it forces you to have to constantly focus on the instrument. Both of the instruments with which I am most familiar allow me to play without constantly having to watch every move, and this is great for staring into the distance, checking out your audience, or just relaxing with eyes closed. And whereas the Roli's do need more accuracy than a normal 'board, I still feel that the overall familiarity of the playing experience would make such adjustments a lot easier to make.

It's all academic, anyway, as I can't afford any of the units. If I could, I still think I prefer the idea of the 25/49, even if supplemented by a block version. The reason being that I think having quick access to sliders that control slide/glide sensitivities would open up so much more expressivity :shrug

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
I do have various apps that break the traditional layout paradigm, on my iPad, but I have yet to really get into them (Except for, perhaps Orphian). I tend to feel much more comfortable with a normal 'board.

While I do see benefits to learning such an instrument, there is a pretty major drawback, for me - the size of the strike zone, and how it forces you to have to constantly focus on the instrument. Both of the instruments with which I am most familiar allow me to play without constantly having to watch every move, and this is great for staring into the distance, checking out your audience, or just relaxing with eyes closed. And whereas the Roli's do need more accuracy than a normal 'board, I still feel that the overall familiarity of the playing experience would make such adjustments a lot easier to make.

It's all academic, anyway, as I can't afford any of the units. If I could, I still think I prefer the idea of the 25/49, even if supplemented by a block version. The reason being that I think having quick access to sliders that control slide/glide sensitivities would open up so much more expressivity :shrug
There is no question that the standard keyboard layout allows many people to immediately feel comfortable with it. I expect within a couple months I will be able to play the Linnstrument without looking. It is kinda like typing without looking ;)

I think the Rise is a compelling product. However, I read quite few reports of bugginess and I found a number of annoying issues with it just in the 1 1/2 hours of playing with it in the store. That was a decider for me regardless of other comparisons.

I happen to like the feel of the Linnstrument better and find the Y axis more useful than on the Rise. Plus of course I can play with one hand across 2-3 octaves on the Linnstrument. But those are personal preferences.

pdxindy wrote:I expect within a couple months I will be able to play the Linnstrument without looking. It is kinda like typing without looking ;)
Not to be pedantic, but it isn't like typing without looking :shrug: With touch typing, everything is easily accessible from an anchored position.

It's good to know that you feel that it you are getting close to being able to achieve it, though :tu:
pdxindy wrote:I think the Rise is a compelling product. However, I read quite few reports of bugginess and I found a number of annoying issues with it just in the 1 1/2 hours of playing with it in the store. That was a decider for me regardless of other comparisons.
What issues?

pdxindy wrote:I think the Rise is a compelling product. However, I read quite few reports of bugginess and I found a number of annoying issues with it just in the 1 1/2 hours of playing with it in the store. That was a decider for me regardless of other comparisons.
What issues?
Bugginess in Equator. It seemed to freeze sometimes so that clicking on something did not work. Octave switching button was not working correctly on the Rise itself. Some issues syncing between device and computer. I only spent an hour and a half playing with it at the store so I did not spend time trying to resolve the problems. I was mainly concerned with the feel of playing the surface. But it left me feeling like the setup still needs some polish. So maybe in a year I will look at it again.

pdxindy wrote:I expect within a couple months I will be able to play the Linnstrument without looking. It is kinda like typing without looking ;)
Not to be pedantic, but it isn't like typing without looking :shrug: With touch typing, everything is easily accessible from an anchored position.

It's good to know that you feel that it you are getting close to being able to achieve it, though :tu:
Of course you are correct... that was an off hand comment about typing and some general similarity, not an in-depth analysis. I don't expect that I will be able to play blindfolded. I still need glances on a regular keyboard for spatial reference too. But I do expect to be able to look up while playing, keep playing something with one hand, while the other hand adjusts something else on some hardware, and so on.

there's a "Equator Extended BLOCKS Library " in my roli account since today. I'm a lightpad block only owner.

No equator player yet.

What's this? Will the player be available for all lightpad owners, or just new registrations only?

pdxindy wrote:

Of course you are correct... that was an off hand comment about typing and some general similarity, not an in-depth analysis. I don't expect that I will be able to play blindfolded. I still need glances on a regular keyboard for spatial reference too. But I do expect to be able to look up while playing, keep playing something with one hand, while the other hand adjusts something else on some hardware, and so on.
Haha! Good job! :tu:

TabSel wrote:What's this? Will the player be available for all lightpad owners, or just new registrations only?
I asked ROLI support about this some days ago and mentioned it earlier in this thread.

It's for both, new and existing users of a Lightpad Block.
"Equator Player is being timed to release with the Seaboard Block, so it should be available very soon"
Listen to me at soundcklick:
www.soundclick.com/wewritesongs

pdxindy wrote:
What issues?
Bugginess in Equator. It seemed to freeze sometimes so that clicking on something did not work. Octave switching button was not working correctly on the Rise itself. Some issues syncing between device and computer. I only spent an hour and a half playing with it at the store so I did not spend time trying to resolve the problems. I was mainly concerned with the feel of playing the surface. But it left me feeling like the setup still needs some polish. So maybe in a year I will look at it again.
Equator is largely bug free (I use it 24/7 with several Seaboards - no issues whatsoever). Any issues experienced in the store are most likely due to the unfortunate fact of in-store neglect. Maybe the Equator version is old, and a simple hardware (both the computer and the Seaboard) would reset any other gremlins.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
What issues?
Equator is largely bug free (I use it 24/7 with several Seaboards - no issues whatsoever). Any issues experienced in the store are most likely due to the unfortunate fact of in-store neglect. Maybe the Equator version is old, and a simple hardware (both the computer and the Seaboard) would reset any other gremlins.
possible... but the problems with the octave up/down are not related to Equator and I know the tech guy at the store is savvy and did spend some time on it.

For me, at that moment, the Linnstrument worked solidly, Rise didn't.

I also realized that I distinctly preferred the feel and capacity of playing the Linnstrument more than the Rise. I find the Y axis hard to use on the Rise. That combined with finding significant value with the Linnstrument not needing a computer to work as a midi controller for lots of hardware meant I put less effort into troubleshooting the Rise.

Personally I think I would spend years learning to play the Linnstument well. A guitar player I am not!

Still they had me interested enough that I considered it, just for a expressive Midi instrument. The Madronna Labs Soundplane also had me intruiged.... http://madronalabs.com/soundplane (but I never even heard of someone buying one of those)
Ultimately they both are a lot of money for something I don't think I will ever be totally comfortable playing.

but keyboards.... i have been playing them since I could get on piano stool.
There is no choice for me. Many others I think would be the same.

Joue also has me interested. Its modularity is pretty nifty, but at the moment the best option for me is the seaboard block.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1556263559/joue
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

Terrafractyl wrote:Personally I think I would spend years learning to play the Linnstument well. A guitar player I am not!

Still they had me interested enough that I considered it, just for a expressive Midi instrument. The Madronna Labs Soundplane also had me intruiged.... http://madronalabs.com/soundplane (but I never even heard of someone buying one of those)
Ultimately they both are a lot of money for something I don't think I will ever be totally comfortable playing.

but keyboards.... i have been playing them since I could get on piano stool.
There is no choice for me. Many others I think would be the same.
I've played about as much guitar as keyboard over the years... perhaps that influences what I gravitate towards. I like playing flute too. I feel pretty comfortable and flexible to learn different instruments. It's gonna take me a while to learn to play the Linnstrument fluidly. A keyboard layout would for sure be faster for me initially but am picking it up fairly quick and it is so expressive and playable... moreso than the Rise imo.

Just received the info, that Equator player is now ready for download.
Havent't tried it yet, but it should be available for existing Lightpad Block users.
Which is cool.

tele

edit:
just took a look, it is all there now.
ROLI Equator: (updated 20th June 2017) (Does't say Equator Player, I wonder.....)
Equator Extended BLOCKS Library
Last edited by telebunke on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listen to me at soundcklick:
www.soundclick.com/wewritesongs

Is this out yet?

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”