New Moog app - Model D Minimoog

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I begin to like it more and more.....a short jam into GB....wacky play live on my iPhone with 2 custom made presets.
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/moog-model-d-ios

Cinebient wrote: I guess on iPad it‘s O.K.
VST/AU would be nice....but then we already have better modulars and even maybe better Minimoog there. We wouldn‘t get it for 5 dollar.
So maybe it‘s all good like it is......until one day Apple allow iOS apps on mac and they might even work as AUv3 then....could hurt at least mac sales for some synths.
AudioUnit v3 is supposedly very easily portable to Mac OS. The real issue is supporting the numerous hosts available, even just on the Mac, as per Moog's own response to why they don't make desktop plugins.

iPad is their preferred platform here. The reason it's on iPhone at all is probably just because it can be done easily and avoids people complaining that the app is only available on iPad. More buyers, fewer complaints. ??
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
Cinebient wrote: I guess on iPad it‘s O.K.
VST/AU would be nice....but then we already have better modulars and even maybe better Minimoog there. We wouldn‘t get it for 5 dollar.
So maybe it‘s all good like it is......until one day Apple allow iOS apps on mac and they might even work as AUv3 then....could hurt at least mac sales for some synths.
AudioUnit v3 is supposedly very easily portable to Mac OS. The real issue is supporting the numerous hosts available, even just on the Mac, as per Moog's own response to why they don't make desktop plugins.

iPad is their preferred platform here. The reason it's on iPhone at all is probably just because it can be done easily and avoids people complaining that the app is only available on iPad. More buyers, fewer complaints. ??
Yep....i just got the same answer from them today :D
I mean also the competition is bigger on desktop but this app really sounds wonderful.
But there are also several iOS DAW´s with AUv3 support.
What if more developers go this way? :o :D
Really full warm body to me. I also like the extra LFO (which goes also into audio rate) which let me use it for vibrato etc. without having to OSC 3 for that. So this is actually a much better string and organ machine f.e. for me than The Legend.
After i played with it for a while now there is also something very smooth in the filter and envelopes i like more in this app.....and even more as in P900 (sacrilege for me normally).
I mean it might be a bit of personal flavor but it´s damn 5 dollars and for that it is just amazing.
Great is that none of the Minimoog emulation is like the other. They all have pro and contra but now i must say that i indeed find the Moog´s own emulation of Model D the best one.
It´s so fast and easy to program.

Thinking about grabbing this, but it would be my first iOS synth and I have a few questions. I'm assuming you can save your own presets? if so, can you recall these presets via midi program change messages that can be sent from a controller keyboard and/or your DAW?

In general, how well do you find iOS synths like these integrate into a computer DAW workflow? Worse case I can always record the audio out of my ipad like I would an analog synth, but I'm wondering if there are ways to make it behave more like a VST with full patch recall when I open a DAW song, preset saving for songs / set lists, and perhaps even purchase apps like studiomux or musicio and have midi and audio over the lightning cable.
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

LGK_Dude wrote:Thinking about grabbing this, but it would be my first iOS synth and I have a few questions. I'm assuming you can save your own presets? if so, can you recall these presets via midi program change messages that can be sent from a controller keyboard and/or your DAW?

In general, how well do you find iOS synths like these integrate into a computer DAW workflow? Worse case I can always record the audio out of my ipad like I would an analog synth, but I'm wondering if there are ways to make it behave more like a VST with full patch recall when I open a DAW song, preset saving for songs / set lists, and perhaps even purchase apps like studiomux or musicio and have midi and audio over the lightning cable.
Let me try:

Yes you can save your own presets and banks and it´s even easy to export/import single presets or a whole bank with f.e. dropbox directly from the app (a thing which i even like more than in many desktop plug-ins...no folder searching and whatever needed).

Yes, all Moog apps offer midi program messages. They even offer 14 bit midi and Model D also let you save and recall different midi cc mapping presets something even a lot desktop plug-ins don´t do.

The next one is harder to answer since i don´t know your workflow, OS etc.
I can only speak for the iOS to mac and here you can connect your iPad/iPhone just with the usb to lightning cable via IDAM (in the audio/midi setup) and you can choose it as audio and/or midi device to play audio into your DAW or use it as midi controller for your plug-ins etc.
If you want to connect your iPad to your desktop/notebook DAW and want to recall a whole setup of audio and midi on your iPad via one click i doubt you will be happy. Not sure if that would be possible yet in any way. But there are iOS DAW´s which offer AUv3 support which works mainly the same as in desktop DAW´s and can recall a whole setup of audio, midi, instruments, FX chains, automations etc.
But beware that iOS can be a bit of a bitch here and you need the latest device to even thinking of running several instances of apps like Model D, Model 15, Zeeon etc.
On iOS there are several way of doing things as well. There is Audiobus which let you load several audio as well as midi streams and FX chains and even let you very fast route several DAW´s together and record the output in another app etc. Also a good thing which is mainly there because iOS needed a lot workaround in the past most apps can be used as well as sending midi to other apps and tools. This way you have a great pool of different midi devices from a normal keyboard to the wildest MPE style things.
I personally didn´t do well with all of this and while i´m working since the beginning with iOS music tools and felt too limited and so i gone mainly macOS these days i still love a lot of the things iOS gives me i can´t get in my big DAW.
I prefer indeed to just record the audio of my iPhone into Logic and if i use several of the (great) iOS tools i stay mostly inside iOS and record everything within an iOS DAW like i would do on my notebook/desktop (i made maybe 200+ tracks just with my freaking iPhone 4 on a 3.5" screen some years ago).
IOS is still young and i´m sure things will evolve. I could imagine if i only would use synths to stay iOS only since the sound is mainly there.
At the end for 5 dollars there is nothing to loose since it might go to 20-30 soon and having a real Moog for 5 dollars is amazing!
The main thing is that iOS and windows/mac are very different in terms of workflow and you have to find your own way to integrate it. I know some people which left their desktops for these new workflow and multi-touch instruments, cheaper tools etc., other hate it and say it´s a toy and others (like me) trying to find a way to get the best out of both.
But for everything related to iOS audio i would recommend the Audiobus forum since this seems to be the best place for it and even a lot developers (like Moog) are present there often.
i hope that helps a bit.

What I am wondering is there a distinctive sound difference between the Model 15 and Model D app? Do I need both? Anyone have experience with this?

melodyz wrote:What I am wondering is there a distinctive sound difference between the Model 15 and Model D app? Do I need both? Anyone have experience with this?
You NEED Neither! :lol:

I have both, but I am not going to do a head-to-head, for my purpose, as they differ in philosophy, so complement each other. I would expect Model 15 should be able to provide pretty much all Model D sounds, and much more.

Given their prices (I bought when on sale), I like to have simplicity (D) vs complexity (15) of workflow as a choice, depending on my mood, so find them a 'bargain duo'. :)

I have a mass of Virtual Instruments that I DO NOT NEED, but sometimes a different way of working with a particular Instrument will act as an inspiration for a different sound.

I better not mention iMini... ...oooops, I did :party: I have that too - again overlap but a bit different!

The iPad is getting more and more wonderful choices available.

melodyz wrote:What I am wondering is there a distinctive sound difference between the Model 15 and Model D app? Do I need both? Anyone have experience with this?
They are different. Model D has more meat. The filter on this is the same type but much better here. The envelopes are also a bit more powerful (or snappy if you like).
It has more growl, especially with the overdrive.
But the filter might be the main part for me. If you slowly open the filter it has a lot more power in the low end. It also has f.e. the bender FX which Model 15 has not.
But yes, booth are great.
If i had to judge just the analog feel it gives me i much prefer Model D.
It´s my favorite analog now on iOS.
And for that Moog sound it also beats everything on desktop for me.....beside P900 which is another beast.
I think the intro for 5 dollar is gone but still worth it for 15.
If you like the Minimoog D sound you won´t get closer.
It also has the extra LFO (up to audio rate).
But beware...even if it looks simpler as Model 15 i think it uses even more CPU.
Not quite the same but i would describe the step up in sound from Model 15 to Model D like
Diva was great but then came Repro.
So while there are much better modulars (even for Moog sound) on desktop i think that Model D is on par or even better than all the desktop Minimoog emulations.
Watch some you-tube videos and decide.

Cinebient wrote:
After some time i must say that it‘s close to unusable on my 5.5“ iPhone. GUI is terrible to work with. Sound is great, workflow...nope.
I guess on iPad it‘s O.K.
I deleted the Model 15 from my iPad cause the workflow was so awful. I haven't tried this and wont be so I have no idea what it would be like on the iPad. But just because the device has more space does not mean one can count on it being used effectively.

LGK_Dude wrote:Thinking about grabbing this, but it would be my first iOS synth and I have a few questions. I'm assuming you can save your own presets? if so, can you recall these presets via midi program change messages that can be sent from a controller keyboard and/or your DAW?

It will differ for different people. I like simplicity and ease of use. I purchased a number of iOS synths and I have an iPad Pro, but I finally just decided it was more trouble than it was worth.

I like being able to launch my DAW, create some stuff and hit save, done. Using the iPad Pro with it adds a layer of complexity while not adding anything I don't already have. It's like adding hardware without any of the benefits of hardware such as real knobs, possibly real analog sound, tactile interface, etc.

I very much like my iPad Pro for drawing. For music stuff it just feels like an ill fit. When using it for audio, it does not feel like there is any advantage to using my laptop. So for me the added complexity and work adds nothing I want.

I think that iOS and the apps available are steadily becoming better for being their own audio centerpiece. So someone can do some high quality audio just with an iPad Pro and some software. So the availability of new quality synths is good for people doing that.

I have some analog hardware... Integrating it with my laptop and DAW is a bit more work, however, it offers something software doesn't. For me, the iPad doesn't... so finally I deleted all the music software off of my iPad and am happy I did. YMMV

pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
After some time i must say that it‘s close to unusable on my 5.5“ iPhone. GUI is terrible to work with. Sound is great, workflow...nope.
I deleted the Model 15 from my iPad cause the workflow was so awful. I haven't tried this and wont be so I have no idea what it would be like on the iPad. But just because the device has more space does not mean one can count on it being used effectively.
But it sounds so FAT! :D It puts The Legend to shame :)
I give you my Seaboard Rise for your iPad Pro.....
Last edited by Cinebient on Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cinebient wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
You always exaggerate when a new iOS synth comes out. The Legend is good enough that nothing can put it to shame... not even the original hardware!

pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
You always exaggerate when a new iOS synth comes out. The Legend is good enough that nothing can put it to shame... not even the original hardware!
:hihi: You know me. You know what date is but as in the other thread about dirty synth i post it here too i think it´s impressive what comes out of an app on a smartphone:
https://soundcloud.com/user-790535032/m ... ass-iphone
But really it is a new class in iOS (for me).
I demoed The Legend not long ago and might buy it because of this app.
Can it sound like this (serious question) i want that overdriven massive sound.

Cinebient wrote: :hihi: You know me.
I do... I appreciate your enthusiasm :hihi:
Cinebient wrote:i think it´s impressive what comes out of an app on a smartphone:
If all I had was a smartphone, that would matter to me. But I already have the best that the VST world has to offer. It's going to be a bunch of years before iOS catches up... if it ever does.
Cinebient wrote:I demoed The Legend not long ago and might buy it because of this app.
I'm not as into that overdriven sound as you are. So I cannot answer your question. I have enough synths that can do a solid overdriven sound if/when I want it. I've quite been enjoying the new Bitwig synth Phase-4. It's an unexpected gem!

pdxindy wrote:
Cinebient wrote: :hihi: You know me.
I do... I appreciate your enthusiasm :hihi:
Cinebient wrote:i think it´s impressive what comes out of an app on a smartphone:
If all I had was a smartphone, that would matter to me. But I already have the best that the VST world has to offer. It's going to be a bunch of years before iOS catches up... if it ever does.
Cinebient wrote:I demoed The Legend not long ago and might buy it because of this app.
I'm not as into that overdriven sound as you are. So I cannot answer your question. I have enough synths that can do a solid overdriven sound if/when I want it. I've quite been enjoying the new Bitwig synth Phase-4. It's an unexpected gem!
Thank´s. The thing is i missed to really get in the weird audio rate things and saturated sounds which i really like these days often. So the Moog Model D def. stands out here on iOS and Monark isn´t my thing.
So maybe i just go ahead and buy me finally The Legend for Easter :D .
If that just had that extra LFO the app has i already had bought.
I mean all these apps and plug-ins sound amazing.
But even as a no analog guy and software fan i must say that the hardware of the Model D which i saw in the comparison against the app (and also before against the plug-ins) has much more balls. The overdrive is so much bigger on this but would be almost too heavy to use in a musical way.
Also i find the resonance and FM a bit better on the hardware.
Otherwise no one will hear a difference in a song anyway.
And i agree there are some hidden gems. I just was amazed again today how awesome that old ES2 Logic synth sound.
Have a nice day/night! :)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”