Feature requests

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer

NEW FEATURE REQUEST

Attila,
Can you add a button (or other method) on the settings/misc/ page to set a time for hints to pop up? Perhaps along side the "Show hints" button that now exists.

The current time for the pop up is a bit slow for my taste; I would like it to happen a bit sooner and perhaps delay closing a bit longer.

I suppose once I really get to know RC I will likely disable hints but at present their are so many usable features I'm a bit ignorant of them all.

This will be helpful to me, and others, I am sure. Perhaps you can add to your "todo - Roadmap" list. Not that your list isn't long enough now! :hihi:

Thanks very much!

Best regards,

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p5621652

I don't want the above idea from the 'Bug Report' thread to get lost.

I am still hoping by either individually selecting them or 'lasso' selecting them, that the phrase elements, i.e., the parts of a phrase that in conjunction with the current chord and scale define the midi note, can be muted in place within a phrase in the composition window.

This would permit making variations of the same phrase or experimenting without losing the 'gestalt' of the phrase.

Along this same line, it would be useful to be able to delete these phrase elements.

Will this be possible eventually, Attila?

Thanks.
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

como baila wrote:http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p5621652

I don't want the above idea from the 'Bug Report' thread to get lost.

I am still hoping by either individually selecting them or 'lasso' selecting them, that the phrase elements, i.e., the parts of a phrase that in conjunction with the current chord and scale define the midi note, can be muted in place within a phrase in the composition window.

This would permit making variations of the same phrase or experimenting without losing the 'gestalt' of the phrase.

Along this same line, it would be useful to be able to delete these phrase elements.

Thanks.
+1 :hyper:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

como baila wrote:......Along this same line, it would be useful to be able to delete these phrase elements.

Thanks.
Como,
The more I use RC, the more I learn and realize Attila has packed this program with so many useful features!

Did you know you can delete notes within a phrase in the composition window?

I learned last night that if you select "Editing mode" (last box above the Master Track - blue w/notes on my copy) and then select "Note Editing Mode" you can then select specific notes and manipulate them (move up/down, new position, etc.) or simply hit the delete key and remove them.

Fantastic!

If you right click you can even move them to a "New Phrase".

I didn't get the chance to play with it much so not sure if you can select multiple notes within the phrase but my guess is it will be possible. I'll take a look at this if I get opportunity today.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:

dsan@mail.com wrote:
como baila wrote:......Along this same line, it would be useful to be able to delete these phrase elements.

Thanks.
Como,
The more I use RC, the more I learn and realize Attila has packed this program with so many useful features!

Did you know you can delete notes within a phrase in the composition window?

I learned last night that if you select "Editing mode" (last box above the Master Track - blue w/notes on my copy) and then select "Note Editing Mode" you can then select specific notes and manipulate them (move up/down, new position, etc.) or simply hit the delete key and remove them.

Fantastic!

If you right click you can even move them to a "New Phrase".

I didn't get the chance to play with it much so not sure if you can select multiple notes within the phrase but my guess is it will be possible. I'll take a look at this if I get opportunity today.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Duh! Duh! and Double Duh! I can't believe I never read the 'fine print!'

I always assumed 'Notes' meant actual midi notes when a phrase was changed from the dynamic notes to regular midi, not 'Phrase Notes.'

And, yes, you can use the red pencil to 'lasso' select multiple notes and delete them at a single pass ... or once the notes selected turn dark and the phrase turns a deeper blue, you have several right click options with the selected phrase, including making them a new phrase!

I don't know when this was implemented, but it's brilliant.

I would still like to be able to 'mute in place,' but the phrase note editing addresses 95% of the things I wanted to be able to do with a phrase, but couldn't figure out.

Thanks dsan and mega thanks Attila.

Attlla, must be scratching his head with a lot of these requests: "hmmm ... I thought I did that already."

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

See Attila, I told you that the function "Move Notes to New Phrase" would be useful for other users too. So, our little argument a few month ago was worth it. :wink:

Attlla, must be scratching his head with a lot of these requests: "hmmm ... I thought I did that already."
:) No, I am really happy when you discover something new.
The two editing modes were there since day 0. In earlier versions there was a button at the top which said "PHRASE" or "NOTE" depending on which mode was active but now it is hidden under that icon because there are more modes (and in v3 there will be another one).

The "note editing mode" is useful to directly access notes without going into the phrase editor, but it works on the original phrase. In "phrase editing mode" you actually see the rendered phrase:
[Original phrase] -> transposition -> phrase variations -> resizing -> track variations -> [Rendered Phrase]
In "Note editing mode" it is not possible to edit the final rendered phrase, but only the original phrase is shown with transposition. The reason is that it is usually not possible to reverse the transformations to find the original place of the event that you added.

Thanks!
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

J.F.K. wrote:See Attila, I told you that the function "Move Notes to New Phrase" would be useful for other users too. So, our little argument a few month ago was worth it
;) Yes, you were right, J.F.K., that was a good idea...

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:
:) No, I am really happy when you discover something new.
The two editing modes were there since day 0. In earlier versions there was a button at the top which said "PHRASE" or "NOTE" depending on which mode was active but now it is hidden under that icon because there are more modes (and in v3 there will be another one).

The "note editing mode" is useful to directly access notes without going into the phrase editor, but it works on the original phrase. In "phrase editing mode" you actually see the rendered phrase:
[Original phrase] -> transposition -> phrase variations -> resizing -> track variations -> [Rendered Phrase]
In "Note editing mode" it is not possible to edit the final rendered phrase, but only the original phrase is shown with transposition. The reason is that it is usually not possible to reverse the transformations to find the original place of the event that you added.

Thanks!
Attila
What does it mean in the info box for the Note Editor: "variations are removed temporarily." Does this mean that if you make a change by moving, adding or deleting a note or notes you must return to the the Phrase Editor before the variations are again active?

Also, is it correct to understand that the process of making any change to a generator phrase effectively 'renders' it?

Thank you.

What does it mean in the info box for the Note Editor: "variations are removed temporarily."
Yes, it means variations are not applied, that is you work on the original phrase without variations. As soon as you switch back to phrase editing, you will see the rendered phrase with variations again.
Also, is it correct to understand that the process of making any change to a generator phrase effectively 'renders' it?
Yes, that is right. The two things (an algorithm creating the notes, or manually making changes) cannot be mixed.

Good questions, thanks!
Attila

Hi, Attila!
Let's solve the problem somehow import drum midi files!
I will now describe the points of how many operations I had to do
(And in fact it should be very easy)
1. Click to open the midi file (play midi file is still not possible)
2. Chose midi file and clicked open
3. Import settings window opened
4. I noted that the need to import and pressed
5. All four tracks were opened on separate tracks and so far nothing is playing with sounds
     - To assign sounds to each track again,
        -hints you want to assign to each track again,
-Somehow, in this case, the installation did not work "Set General midi Controller Set For Newly Created Tracks By Default "
And again, we had to install sets midi controllers
- Then it turned out that my midi file does not begin with the first bar and front midi file empty bar ... and I now need to move each track separately on the first beat (yes, there is circumcision import settings file length, but do not start cutting midi file) the more you should not move at the same time all my tracks or cut blank measures all at once at the beginning...
6. And then ( ha - ha - ha) it turned out that this is not the midi file that I wanted to import and now need to start importing again ...
Import my desired MIDI file, I spent 40 minutes, and this is an elementary operation ...
- and yet at the same time can not erase all my unsuccessfully imported MIDI files
- And yet somehow had quantize and again each track separately

Algorithm can be improved import and configure?
Thank you for your attention!

lulukom wrote:Hi, Attila!

<snip>

Algorithm can be improved import and configure?
Thank you for your attention!
This is an old issue I'd forgotten about, since using VSTi version I can import midi drum track to my DAW and use whatever drum VSTi I want.

However, the simple solution would be to use GM for drums and import the drum and perc tracks as 'static' midi notes always on midi channel 10 ... then any GM compatible soundfont, sound module or VSTi could receive the track.

This is another good argument for multiport midi, so you could send the drums to a different sound source than the instruments if you wanted to.

lulukom wrote:Hi, Attila!
Hi Lulukom,

for importing drum midi files, you need to uncheck all 'Analyze' and 'Convert' checkboxes for the drum tracks so that the notes remain absolute notes.
lulukom wrote: - To assign sounds to each track again,
If you 'Use GM Soundfont' you will have sound immediately. But yes, you will have to set up instruments for each track, because RapidComposer cannot figure out which soundfont or VST plug-in you want to use.
lulukom wrote: -Somehow, in this case, the installation did not work "Set General midi Controller Set For Newly Created Tracks By Default "
You are right, this did not work. If you download the latest beta version (append 'beta' to the download URL, before '.php') this is fixed in it. And the chord palette won't reset when you select a new chord ;)
lulukom wrote: the more you should not move at the same time all my tracks or cut blank measures all at once at the beginning...
You could select a region on the timelime and choose "Remove Region" in the timeline inspector...

Thanks,
Attila

Attila,
I notice I can add (certain)MIDI CC monitor to a track and an icon appears in the track alongside the others that are default (M, S, etc.)

I notice though that just about any defined value can be placed in, except Velocity.

To view velocity track I need to open the note editor to be able to manipulate velocity values.

Is it possible to include these into the MIDI controller set like is modulation, pan, etc.? I thought at one time velocity was in those sets, but could be wrong, and could get them to show by button press (like modulation (CC1) does for example). This is while in the Composition window.

Along this same request - it is difficult to determine which velocity is being attempted to manipulate with the current structure if there are multiple notes at a start point - for example a chord.

It seems if I select a note to adjust, and then try to adjust the velocity, all notes in the chord get velocity adjusted. I may want different values within the notes of the chord and cannot seem to find a way to do this.

Perhaps I overlook the proper method. If so please advise.

As always, your attention to detail is much appreciated! Thank you!

Best regards,

Happy Musiking!
dsan

EDIT: I wanted to add, this is not a critical issue for me as I can take the midi output to my DAW and manipulate there. It would just suit workflow better to be able to do it as I am creating. in RC. Thanks Attila!
My DAW System:

Hi Dennis!

thank you for your questions.
Velocity is not a MIDI controller. It belongs to notes, and what makes things more complicated is that in 'Phrase' editing mode you can see rendered velocities. Which means you can edit them only in 'Note' editing mode.
For example you can add 'Velocity Generator' to a track which does interesting transformations on note velocities. You can see the results immediately on the notes (white=velocity 0, saturated color=velocity 127).
It would be good to be able to draw an envelope (just like you do with 'Expression') to set velocities. I'll check it, maybe it is not that difficult to implement. The more I think about it the easier it looks :)
It seems if I select a note to adjust, and then try to adjust the velocity, all notes in the chord get velocity adjusted. I may want different values within the notes of the chord and cannot seem to find a way to do this.
You are right, it is not possible to edit individual velocities at the same position. This will be improved in the long term.

Thanks,
Attila

Return to “MusicDevelopments”