Feature requests

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer

When we work on a phrase (for example to move it up/down with the mouse in order to transpose it) the phrased is previewed as soon as it is selected or moved.

It's nice. But could this behavior (the automatic preview) be automatically disabled when we work on phrases (to make adjustments of that kind for example) while the song is currently running?

Because currently when we select a phrase (for whatever purpose) while the song is running we hear at the same time the song at its position (running)... AND simultaneously the selected phrase, leading to a curious mix at the output...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

Unless I misunderstand BlackWinny, this is now possible.

Above the timeline (just below the transport) is a "Preview" selector. The drop down box has many choices for preview selections of phrases and notes along with a disable/enable switch.

I typically leave mine set to disabled and only enable it if I need to test a phrase; but I will do this while the song is stopped. Just to get the flavor of the sound before accepting it into the song.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:Unless I misunderstand BlackWinny, this is now possible.

Above the timeline (just below the transport) is a "Preview" selector. The drop down box has many choices for preview selections of phrases and notes along with a disable/enable switch.

I typically leave mine set to disabled and only enable it if I need to test a phrase; but I will do this while the song is stopped. Just to get the flavor of the sound before accepting it into the song.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
Hello Denis!

Yes. You're right, but there is simply a selection which is missing and which could be added. This one:

"Preview nothing while the song is running".
:D :party:

And with by default the status "Checked".
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.

Aaaaah.....well, leave it to me to have missed your meaning :hihi:

Although, for me "Preview Off" does the trick, I can see how this could be useful to avoid confusion of sounds during playback.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:Aaaaah.....well, leave it to me to have missed your meaning :hihi:

Although, for me "Preview Off" does the trick, I can see how this could be useful to avoid confusion of sounds during playback.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
And that's why I suggest this new line at the top of the list, simply to automate the toggle of the status "Off/On" inversely according to the state "song currently running". The user would choose by this new checkbox "Preview nothing while the song is running" whether he wants to use that feature or not.

In the source code the feature would be simply a boolean of that kind:
"Previews_allowed" = NOT "Song_running"
(in C++ I think it is the operation x != y)

Nothing else than that.

And notice that I put the term "Previews_allowed" in plural, meaning that it is a general "circuit breaker" which cuts all the previews regardless their individual state.

And the option checkbox "Preview nothing while the song is running" in the list would be present only to allow the user to choose if he wants to use that new feature or not. It is the only new thing that sees the user.

Very, very simple in fact.
:D

Thanks BlackWinny for the suggestion, I made it ticked by default.

In the next 1-2 days a beta version will be uploaded with 'delayed loading of custom phrases' and MIDI note rendering bug fixes.

Thanks!
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Atilla,

Would be nice (and more easily read ) if when selecting CHORD - PALLET - COLOR BY COMMON NOTES, we could have 'more' INTENSITY separation on the gradation scale ... i.e., less subtle color 'gradation', and 'more' obvious extreme shading. Many ( most ) of the color scales are very difficult to gauge the 'more' from the 'less' ( especially on the common chord notes graphics )

-- atonal

I'd like to suggest the idea of making 3.0.x a 'stable' release.

This would be a way of getting the balance right between having a familiar robust application with accurate comprehensive documentation and the rapid 'bleeding edge' development cycle which seems to blend bug fixes with new features and occasionally introduces new bugs. The idea is that where bugs are identified that aren't related to the latest features these would be fixed in the stable release when proven as well as in betas and later releases.

At appropriate times major update releases could be classified as the new 'stable' release and accompanied by updated documentation e.g. 3.3.x, 3.5.x, 3.7.x ....

This release program might also attract more users.

Thanks

Hi atonal,

after lots of experimentation I came up with these colors:

When there are 4 common notes, the color is even brighter, with black text.
I hope the visibility of 'more' and 'less' is better now.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The colors were totally wrong when using 'color: by common notes'. This is fixed too. A bug-fix update will be available in the next 2-3 days.

Thanks!
Attila

Raymond0 wrote:I'd like to suggest the idea of making 3.0.x a 'stable' release.
This release program might also attract more users.
Thanks, Raymond0! You make a good point. Although all releases should be stable, my experience is no matter how many people use the beta versions, there will always be bugs after a major update.
I try not to mix bug-fixes and new features, but sometimes it is hard to hold back a new feature for weeks/months, that I know users are waiting for, when only maintenance updates should be released. But you are right, that is how it should be done.

Thanks,
Attila

Attila,
Thanks for the common note intensity fix.
Regards,

- atonal

Hi Attila!
1. Beta version unequivocally need to live correction of the program!
2. Please answer the question: Is it possible to save progression of the composition window (that which in the master track at the moment)? If not, then it needs to be fixed!
3. In the browser phrases still need to do the following:
    - Auto-preview
    - The possibility to mark stars phrases favorites
    - Drag-and-drop phrases from the track to the browser

4. I would like to write a list of the new improvements (which I wrote) that I'm really looking forward to you:
-Auto-setting cycle timeline when selecting phrases
-Auto preview in the browser phrases and progressions
-Auto-Jumping to the next chord when entering chords in the master track via MIDI controller.
- Enter progressions using MIDI controller.
Thank you for your attention!
Sincerely lulukom
PS Yes, they all say that they are interested in the RC, but we all love and want the RC to just got better!

Hi lulukom!

Yes, beta versions remain of course. Raymond0 meant that it was not a good idea to add new functionality in bug-fix updates.
It is possible to save a progression if you select the chords either on the master track or on the timeline, and choose "Save Selected Chords As Progression" from the master track inspector.
I owe you lots of functionality, and those are not forgotten. Thank you for your patience...

Thanks!
Attila

Thanks Attila !

Hello Attila!

I would like to suggest a little improvement for the comfort.

Experiment:
  1. Create a new composition, empty.
  2. Open the phrase browser and put a first melody phrase in the first bars.
  3. Then, to create a second melody phrase which will be to follow the first one, from the phrase browser open the grey colored melody generator with the right click. Generate a random phrase and preview it, but don't insert it by now.
  4. Imagine you haven't perfectly in mind the previous phrase(s) and you would like to listen them again to see if your newly generated phrase (but not yet inserted) will fit as a nice succession.
  5. What do you do in that case? He he... you can't. Because as soon as you click the phrase already put in the composition, the grey colored melody generator closes. And when you reopen it... it regenerates a brand new phrase with the consequence that you have already definitely lost the one you would have perhaps wanted to keep.
My suggestion:
Keep the grey colored melody generator open as long as it is not closed by the will of the user, so that he can keep the current generated phrase not yet inserted and keep the ability to insert it.

And the same for all the other grey colored generators.

Possible for the next beta?
Last edited by BlackWinny on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”