Feature requests

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RapidComposer

:party: :hyper:

dsan@mail.com wrote:I think what Thomas means is that, although the "Collapse Groups" in the phrases dialog will close all open groups within a session, RC does not remember that state the next time RC is opened. All groups become expanded again the next time RC is run.
This was implemented today, so from the next beta version the collapsed/expanded state of browser groups are remembered. Thanks for requesting this feature!

Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Thank you Attila!

RC keeps getting better and better :tu:

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Is there any way to link phrase containers? Here is the scenario:

I have a bass phrase, guitar phrase, and drum phrase that are melodically and rhythmically aligned (i.e. 1 complete bar of music arranged for all 3 instruments).

Now, let's say I have 20 individual groups of these little 1-bar snippets. I'd like to be able to use in RapidComposer using the phrase container to create random arrangements of these 1-bar phrases.

The problem is that the phrase containers are single-track only. If I put all of the guitar phrases in a phrase container on the guitar track, and all of the bass phrases in the phrase container on the bass track, there is no way to ensure that if Phrase 1 is selected by the phrase container in the guitar track, Phrase 1 must also be selected in the bass track (in order to keep the 1-bar arrangement linked).

Is there any way to do this?

That would greatly improve the usability of the phrase container.

musicdevelopments wrote:
dsan@mail.com wrote:I think what Thomas means is that, although the "Collapse Groups" in the phrases dialog will close all open groups within a session, RC does not remember that state the next time RC is opened. All groups become expanded again the next time RC is run.
This was implemented today, so from the next beta version the collapsed/expanded state of browser groups are remembered. Thanks for requesting this feature!

Attila
That is a sensible feature request; having to manually hit the collapse all button all the time was an extra step I had always wanted to avoid.

However, my preference would be to have RC always start up with the browser groups initially all collapsed. So, how about yet another configuration option that lets the user pick which initial state they prefer (last remembered; all collapsed; or all expanded); something along the lines of the following:
Feel free to come up with more appropriate text for the labels.
Last edited by tonedef71 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

guitarmanchu wrote:Is there any way to link phrase containers? Here is the scenario:

I have a bass phrase, guitar phrase, and drum phrase that are melodically and rhythmically aligned (i.e. 1 complete bar of music arranged for all 3 instruments).

Now, let's say I have 20 individual groups of these little 1-bar snippets. I'd like to be able to use in RapidComposer using the phrase container to create random arrangements of these 1-bar phrases.

The problem is that the phrase containers are single-track only. If I put all of the guitar phrases in a phrase container on the guitar track, and all of the bass phrases in the phrase container on the bass track, there is no way to ensure that if Phrase 1 is selected by the phrase container in the guitar track, Phrase 1 must also be selected in the bass track (in order to keep the 1-bar arrangement linked).

So you want the ability to group the phrases contained within different tracks across consecutive bars, and then reference them in some variation of the Idea Tool to randomly create new arrangements? That does sound like a creative feature; I wonder how hard that would be to implement with the current RC architecture.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Thanks, guys, for all your answer to my little problem. @ Yellukhan: I had, indeed, not yet discovered the "collapse"-function. That alone helps a lot, but if Attila has now incorporated a memory-feature here, then all the better. I'm really glad to have found this software and this board. Even in the short time, that I am onboard now, I have seen so many improvements.

Thomas

tonedef71 wrote:However, my preference would be to have RC always start up with the browser groups initially all collapsed. So, how about yet another configuration option that lets the user pick which initial state they prefer (last remembered; all collapsed; or all expanded);
Hi Tony,
I did this today:

tonedef71 wrote:Feel free to come up with more appropriate text for the labels.
Since you speak English better than me, I am not the right person to find out better labels :)

It was requested several times that browsers should open in their own window, it is also implemented.
Thanks!
Attila

guitarmanchu wrote:Is there any way to link phrase containers? Here is the scenario:

Hi guitarmanchu,

your request is interesting. It is not too easy to do this, probably there must be a 'master' container and 'slave' containers. I am planning to add linking of one phrase to the other, e.g. for the purpose of using the rhythm of a 'master' phrase. Maybe your request could use the same linking mechanism. Interesting anyway!

At the moment phrase container presets are not saved properly in the browser, I am working on the fix. Expect a new update on Sunday.

Thanks,
Attila

Hi Attila,
this is about the Phrase Containers and current functions
load ans save with phrases seems duplicating the library at some point...
and i remember a suggestion from one of the posts
( sorry i couldn't find the post but probably was tonef71 )
just select the folder and let the container pick from folder randomly ..
about the save just save container with selected folder path.

maybe just an alternative options "Save folder path only" ?

just thinking at loud.

Yes I really like Yellukhan's idea.

musicdevelopments wrote:

Hi guitarmanchu,

your request is interesting. It is not too easy to do this, probably there must be a 'master' container and 'slave' containers. I am planning to add linking of one phrase to the other, e.g. for the purpose of using the rhythm of a 'master' phrase. Maybe your request could use the same linking mechanism. Interesting anyway!

At the moment phrase container presets are not saved properly in the browser, I am working on the fix. Expect a new update on Sunday.

Thanks,
Attila
One quick solution would be to simply add a "group" identifier to the phrase container. For example, if I want to link two phrase containers, I just make sure they have the same group name. Then, when regenerating a selected phrase container, the generator randomly chooses a phrase out of that container, then cascades and updates all other phrase containers that share the same group name, selecting the phrase with the same index in those phrase containers. Thus you could create a 1-1 relationship between containers.

See attached image for an idea of what I mean.

There may be more efficient ways of linking phrases and containers long term, but I could see this being an easy way of doing it in the interim.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yellukhan wrote:( sorry i couldn't find the post but probably was tonef71 )
Perhaps you were referring to this post of mine?

musicdevelopments wrote:Hi Tony,
I did this today:

Works for me and looks great!

Thank you.
Tony

guitarmanchu wrote:One quick solution would be to simply add a "group" identifier to the phrase container. For example, if I want to link two phrase containers, I just make sure they have the same group name. Then, when regenerating a selected phrase container, the generator randomly chooses a phrase out of that container, then cascades and updates all other phrase containers that share the same group name, selecting the phrase with the same index in those phrase containers. Thus you could create a 1-1 relationship between containers.
Hmm... I am thinking that the number of total phrases can vary among the different phrase containers within a phrase container group. So what do you think the behavior should be when the randomly selected index of any phrase container (i.e. the numerator) within a group of phrase containers exceeds the count (i.e. the denominator) of another phrase container in the same group?

I suppose the generator could randomly select an index number between 1 and the MINimum denominator of all phrase container denominators (kind of like the lowest common denominator). :shrug:

Return to “MusicDevelopments”