Bug reports

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fyler RapidComposer

Hi Agtemio,

This is worrying. There have been a few problems that were fixed recently about saving (e.g. the crash that you experienced) and loading composition files.
I will build and upload the latest beta version today. I think it will fix these issues.

If you tried to open "RC_to_Balseca.rcCOMP" in v2.64 that yellukhan uploaded recently, that won't work, because that composition was created in the latest beta version, and the newer file format cannot be loaded in an older program version.

If you still have the file that refused to be loaded, please send it to me to the info@m....s.com address.
I will post in this thread when the latest beta version is uploaded.

Thank you,
Attila
https://www.musicdevelopments.com
Home of RapidComposer, Melodya, MIDI Mutator and Syne
All software 40% off during the Anniversary Sale until April 29!

Hello,

the latest beta version is available now for windows. The OS X build will be uploaded tomorrow.
Improvements and fixes:
- Chord suggestions (left click on a chord; right click opens palette)
- It is easier to input chords using the MIDI keyboard or by entering text (also in the chord suggestions inspector)
- About 260 new 'relative' chord progressions for major and minor scales used in pop music (registered version only)
- New "Pop" Major and Minor scale chord progression rules built in based on hundreds of chord progressions
- Fixes in chord palette to remember window size
- Bug fix: crashing issues when enabling "Start With Empty Master Track" fixed
- Bug fix: freezing when saving composition for the first time eliminated

Until the next official update (v2.7) the only thing remained to be added is editing chord rules.

Thanks,
Attila

Thanks a lot, Attila for your latest version, RC is improving gradually & steadily :)
After quick checking it, I have some clarification questions, though.
1) Your new chord suggestions feature is still intriguing me, 'cause I didn't quite catch the idea behind it so far
- left clicking on chords always gives a "mysterious" message "Please select a chord progression rule set..." without any further explication about where and how I have to make it :dog:
I tried to use your new "Pop rules" schemes (it looks quite promising, BTW :D ) instead of mines, but still it didn't help to get those suggestions - definetely I am doing something wrong, but I would be very grateful if you give us some easy explanation of how this new scheme should work "in general" :hihi:
1a) where is "chord suggestions inspector" and how to select it quickly ?! (sorry for my temporal stupidness :oops: )
2) "260 new 'relative' chord progressions" - I can't find them in progression browser (and, as I remember, there was before a special item "relative chords", but it disappered completely somehow (?!)) :(
Anyway, repeating once more, I like very much how RC is changing in time and I wish you all the best for your future work :clap:
T.

Hi Tolstoevsky,

thank you for checking the new version so quickly. Sorry, I did not provide the necessary information.

You need to assign a "chord progression rule set" to your composition in the master track inspector first so that chord suggestions work:
The 'pop' rules has all sorts of 7th, 9th, major 7th, minor 7th chords not just major and minor chords. All these rules will be editable in about a week.

If this is set, a simple click on a chord will open the chord suggestion inspector with several suggestions. You will see the weight or probability of the suggestion as a small bar under the chord buttons. It is also possible to display a few of the the following chords:

It is easy and fun to find interesting chords this way (this is just my opinion).
In the inspector you can enable MIDI In to quickly set the chord, or you can type the chord name after clicking on the small keyboard button.
Please note that right clicking on a chord on the master track will open the chord palette window.

> "260 new 'relative' chord progressions" - I can't find them in progression browser

Please download the beta version again because I uploaded a new one today. The reason those new chord progressions did not appear was that the chord progressions file was not replaced by the new, bigger file. Also in this update maximum 15 chords are shown, properly sorted by weight. So even if you downloaded the newest beta, please download it again.

Thanks,
Attila

:!:
be careful,make a backup before the install..
seems this beta overwrites also imported progressions completely.

Yes, thank you! This is important.
The installer makes a backup from the chord progressions (named as ChordProgressions.rcCHPR.bak) but since momentarily all chord progressions are stored in a single file, it will be overwritten by the installer.
I will help you to resurrect your old progressions from the backup file, just contact me.

From the next update (v2.8 ) there will be a separate file and directory for factory and user chords, scales, progressions. It was planned for v2.7 but was swapped with chord suggestions which was planned for v2.8.

Thank you, Atilla for your lucid commentaries, now I see finally where to catch that bloody inspector :hihi:
And, indeed, I have to agree with you that generated chord suggestions are quite intelligent and interesting to try :harp:
Only one modest request concerning this scheme - is it possible to simplify the access to that "suggestions nook"? :shock: In fact, it's too hard to find it without knowing the "right clicking chain" (BTW, it costs 3 consecutive right clicks on rather tricky areas) and I would propose to make just special "Master track inspector" button instead of current "hidden methods".
And again a pair of questions (sorry for my asinine obduracy :wink:):
1) still I don't see "relative chords" group (I redownloaded the latest b7 as you adviced), but now it has two big collections of major and minor relative chords - is it what you added in fact?
2) "in this update maximum 15 chords are shown..." - what did you mean by that? I didn't quite understand it.
Finally - concerning your phrase "All these rules will be editable in about a week": that's really nice promise :tu: It would be very funny to experiment with it. BTW, there are several good apps for IOS, which make similar things, e.g. Suggester and ProChords - I own both of them and like to use their ideas from time to time :)
Mazel tov :wink:
P.S. Just read your latest comment while typing mine: owing to yellukhan's timely warning (thanks, my friend! :hug: ) I made several backups before updating, so my user progressions are safely stored, but I still want to ask you how to reinstall them quickly without manually retyping it from that file.

Hi Attila,
Thanks and no worry,
i didn't lost anything, because i backup very often whole "Appdata/Roaming/RC"...
it was just a warning for friends.
Just one thing i need to ask : when this lovely separate user file done in v2.8, do i re- import my progression to database again?
or is this will be possible : rename current "ChordProgressions.rcCHPR" and put in to user directory?
then open RC delete all factory presets from it ...done?

I am glad to hear that you got good results with the suggestions!
tolstoevsky wrote: Only one modest request concerning this scheme - is it possible to simplify the access to that "suggestions nook"? :shock: In fact, it's too hard to find it without knowing the "right clicking chain" (BTW, it costs 3 consecutive right clicks on rather tricky areas) and I would propose to make just special "Master track inspector" button instead of current "hidden methods".
Wait, wait... I am not sure I can follow you. Do you mean setting the chord rules? You just need to set it once at the beginning. It takes two clicks to open the 'root' master track inspector. One click on the 'Structure' button, and a right click on the top item.
tolstoevsky wrote:1) still I don't see "relative chords" group (I redownloaded the latest b7 as you adviced), but now it has two big collections of major and minor relative chords - is it what you added in fact?
Yes, all new progressions are in "Major Scale Formulas" and "Minor Scale Formulas".
tolstoevsky wrote:2) "in this update maximum 15 chords are shown..." - what did you mean by that? I didn't quite understand it.
Sorry I was not clear. When the number of possible chords are big, the inspector pop-up (bubble?) would be too high, so now only the 15 most probable chords are shown.
tolstoevsky wrote:but I still want to ask you how to reinstall them quickly without manually retyping it from that file.
You need to insert your own progressions from the backup file in a text editor. I just don't remember if it is saved as a text file that you can edit, or not. :-?

OK, Attila, now I am almost fully satisfied :)
Just a short clarification concerning your statement "It takes two clicks to open the 'root' master track inspector. One click on the 'Structure' button, and a right click on the top item" - in fact it takes 3 clicks after all :D - the last one is inside that "inspector window" in order to change internal pages (from "gear folder" to first one or vise versa - I already closed RC and don't remember exactly that, but it DOES require 3 clicks!).
I am not insisting on my proposal anyway, after all, my proven record of RC usage is already long enough to become accustomed to it's various "hidden underwater treasures" :hihi: , but just bear in mind that if you want to attract more potential customers (novice users) it's better to provide more clear and simple methods to access various important items inside your wonderful program 8)
And the last one on "You need to insert your own progressions from the backup file in a text editor..." - I just checked my backuped progressions file and it's simple text editable file, so, if I got it right, I just need to manually insert my "user chunk" at the end of the new progressions list file?

Right, it takes 3 clicks if you have to change from 'actions' to 'properties' page!
Yes, I understand your point. The master track was extended so that the user don't have to dive too deep into the UI to set the scale, for example. Maybe the 'rules' could be specified also on the master track; there could be a small [Rule] button next to the scale name.

>so, if I got it right, I just need to manually insert my "user chunk" at the end of the new progressions list file?

Yes, exactly, sorry about the inconveniences. :oops:

Thanks,
Attila

musicdevelopments wrote:Right, it takes 3 clicks...
- fine, now I am completely satisfied by the final outcome of our long-distance conversation :clown:
And I think also that your "counter-proposal" ("there could be a small [Rule] button next to the scale name") is a good and easy decision in this case.
Eagerly waiting for new creative additions to RC :wink: ,
T.

When is v2.7 for Mac coming out?
(These new features are very cool, but if 2.7 is coming out soon I might sit out the betas and just wait for 2.7 to be able to use them)
Last edited by dbender on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

already you can download the new beta

PS And I realized that you do not want to beta

lulukom wrote:already you can download the new beta
Thanks but I want the final 2.7 and will skip the betas if it's coming out soon.

That's why I asked -- when is 2.7 coming out for Mac (i.e., the final version, not the beta)

Return to “MusicDevelopments”