Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New

Bug reports

PeteInNeedOfABeat
KVRer

25 posts since 28 Jun, 2016, from Germany

Postby PeteInNeedOfABeat; Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:18 am Re: Bug reports

Hey Attila!

So far the only pattern I've found is that it crashes RC.

Just tried again (with Control+V), another "long" crash. Haven't tried Control+T yet.

I try to avoid actions that are problematic (at least on my machine) and just use a workaround: I save the phrase to one of my folders and insert it in composition view from there.

Actually the "jumping-notes-bug" in Note Editing Mode is bigger problem for me since I do a lot of manual editing in RC.

About 3.31: That's fine, I'll wait then.

Sunny geetings,
Pete
BluGenes
KVRist

181 posts since 15 May, 2017

Postby BluGenes; Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 pm Re: Bug reports

For PC Windows users..

This isn't a bug, more of a heads up. I just upgraded my boot drive from 1 terabyte to 4 terabytes because I ran out of drive space. What I did was made a clone of the OS and an image of the drive and copied it to the new drive. The software I used for this is called Acronis Image 2018. Worked great, once the operation completed, it was a unplug and plug in to play process. Of course, a lot of my software needed re-registration, but, that was the only burp to the process. The big problem was Acronis also installs a utility that prevents unauthorized encryption of your drives, i.e., a ransomware attack. This utility will interfere with the performance of Rapid Composer. It makes using Rapid Composer almost impossible. RC will bog down and run extremely slow and become unresponsive. To fix this, you have to disable the Acronis utility in the options.
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

2412 posts since 9 Jan, 2010

Postby musicdevelopments; Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:51 am Re: Bug reports

Thank you for reporting this weird behaviour. I really wonder what this utility does to slow down RC. I tried to look for similar problems on the net without any results. The only reason that I can think of is that RC reads a lot of custom phrases files from your harddisk/SSD. If you have hundreds (or thousands) of custom phrases, that means opening and reading hundreds (or thousands) of files. If the utility checks every file access that may slow down RC a bit, but since the loading happens in a low-priority thread, it should not disturb the main application very much. RC does not use the windows registry. I assume you did not load any VST plug-ins which (at the moment) runs in the application address space. Other than this I have no idea.

Thanks,
Attila
http://www.musicdevelopments.com
Music Prototyping And Automated Composition Solutions
dermage
KVRist

77 posts since 23 May, 2016

Postby dermage; Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:16 am Re: Bug reports

I had a crash when clicking (or double clicking) the circle of 5ths chords to preview some sounds. v3.3.1 used as VST in Ableton Live 9.7.5 on Win 10 64 v1703
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

Postby musicdevelopments; Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 am Re: Bug reports

Hello dermage,

I fixed a crashing bug yesterday in the circle of 5ths. I am pretty sure it was the same as the one you have found. v3.4 will have the fix, to be released on Monday.

Thank you!
Attila
dermage
KVRist

77 posts since 23 May, 2016

Postby dermage; Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:46 am Re: Bug reports

Ok thanks Attila. Will check it out then ;)

Great tool btw. Just began digging in :)
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

Postby musicdevelopments; Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:22 pm Re: Bug reports

Thank you, dermage! :)
If you have a question, there's a very helpful community here.
Attila
yellukhan
KVRian

1191 posts since 10 Mar, 2004

Postby yellukhan; Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:25 am Re: Bug reports

just noticed..(RC 3.4 official x64 Standalone)
MIDI Echo Variation Track vs Phrase
is it expected?
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

Postby musicdevelopments; Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:39 am Re: Bug reports

Hi yellukhan,

This does not look good. I tried to use a long melody generator. I see something strange when the phrase was scaled, but the notes are not entirely different. Can I ask you to send me that file so that I can reproduce this?

Thank you!
Attila
yellukhan
KVRian

1191 posts since 10 Mar, 2004

Postby yellukhan; Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:43 am Re: Bug reports

Hi Attila,
sure here is the project
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

Postby musicdevelopments; Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:42 am Re: Bug reports

Hi yellukhan,
thank you, problem fixed!
Attila
particle_filter
KVRer

17 posts since 10 Dec, 2017

Postby particle_filter; Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:47 pm Re: Bug reports

I am using RC 3.4 64-bit and Cubase 9.5.10 64-bit on Windows 10. When in standalone mode, I did not use any VST. Here are a few issues I have encountered:

In VST mode, MIDI In in Chord Selector initially works, but it stops working shortly (within a few minutes, but it is unclear which was the action triggering the problem) even though MIDI In is still enabled in the "Options" menu of the Chord Selector window. When this begins to happen, I cannot fix it unless I reload the VST plugin and the RC application. Strangely, MIDI In still works in Quick Suggestions while this problem occurs.

If I select new chords quickly in Chord Selector using MIDI In, the main RC application crashes. This happens quite frequently in VST mode, and less often (but still) in standalone mode. This problem might not be specific to the MIDI In feature, though, because I had a couple of random crashes when I choose new chords in Chord Selector.

Also in VST mode, using MIDI In creates a click noise in DAW if a change is made to the Master Track (in either Quick Suggestions or Chord Selector) or when many chords are displayed (e.g., the lock button to the right of "Scale:" is off).

Chord changes to the Master Track made in Quick Suggestions do not seem to create new history entries, causing an undo to revert too many recent changes. Equivalent chord changes made in Chord Selector are properly registered in the history.

Similarly, changes to the envelope made in Phrase Envelope Editing do not seem to create new history entries, either.

I would appreciate it if you could take a look at these issues. Thank you!

Edit:
Right before a crash in Chord Selector, there was a display error (the chord display below tabs is misaligned):
chord_selector_display_error.png

This kind of display error seems to be quite related to crashes in my case. Broken displays occur from time to time, and they are mostly harmless, but they typically appear when a crash happens. Is there probably some kind of race condition between GUI and internal threads as they try to access/modify some shared data?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

Postby musicdevelopments; Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:48 am Re: Bug reports

Hi particle_filter,
thank you for the detailed report. I'll check these problems in the coming days and will have a fix shortly.
Thanks,
Attila
musicdevelopments
KVRAF

Postby musicdevelopments; Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:54 am Re: Bug reports

Yes, you are right, it must be a race condition. Is this happening mostly in VST mode, or also in the standalone version? I am asking to decide where this is easier to reproduce.

Thanks,
Attila
particle_filter
KVRer

17 posts since 10 Dec, 2017

Postby particle_filter; Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:09 am Re: Bug reports

Hi Attila,

The crash seems to happen in either mode. I just used VST mode more often, but I could reproduce the same problem in standalone mode with similar frequency.

Reproduction steps (Please see the attached gif for the last 3 steps):
1. Start with a new composition.
2. Open Chord Selector.
3. Open the For Chord Progression tab.
4. Click plus to append a new chord.
5. Select the newly added chord.
6. Keep using the MIDI keyboard to change the chord quickly. When a crash does not occur in 10 seconds, go to the step 4, or restart the application. The crash often occurred within 1 second if I get lucky (in a bad way). :wink:

Using MIDI In is mostly for fast reproduction, and was not necessarily required to cause a crash. Just clicking a chord button in the window often had the same issue.

Thanks!
PreviousNext

Moderator: musicdevelopments

Return to MusicDevelopments