Reverse 'structuring' an imported midi file?

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First, kudos to you, Chris, themixtape, for your great videos! I'd always struggled with the superficial lack of linearity in the composition window. I see the light.

Anyway, after watching #7 on the Structure Inspector, I wondered if there was a way to take an imported midi file and chop it into parts and lines.

My idea was to take a couple elements/ tracks from a midi file, redo the harmony and add other instruments with new phrases under a parts/ lines type structure.

Can this be done?

Thanks,

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

I 'second' this .... or 'third' this if we're going for triads !!

Great idea for a tool !!

-- atonal

+1

There are always workarounds... for instance--

Split (\) where you want to make phrases.... double-click to bring them into Phrase Editor, then highlight all notes and "Convert to Relative Notes"... then save them into your Custom phrase folder (this can be set in the next update). Then they'll appear in your Phrase Browser. Once you're done with all the Phrases you want saved, just start a new Composition, and bring those phrases in.

Or:

Open the MIDI files in your DAW... quickly split each phrase you like, in the order you want (easier to move stuff around in a DAW, as we know)... then, re-save the MIDI file... then import it into RC... and chop your phrases (\) as you like.

The whole process you describe is quite complicated.. and we have spent so much time already working on the new features and getting the bugs out almost entirely... so, we'll not be able to finish this by this coming Monday.

However, I'm sure Attila will take your suggestions into consideration. :)

-Chris

themixtape wrote:There are always workarounds... for instance--
<snip>

However, I'm sure Attila will take your suggestions into consideration. :)

-Chris
Yes, it's a workaround world. 8)

I should have specified earlier that I meant to 'chop' from the composition window after the midi file was imported ... if that was not obvious. Since there is already some control over the timeline from the parts and lines, I figured this would not be too daunting ... but I understand the need to release a great new, bug free as possible version as well.

I'm glad my idea resonates with others.

And, yes, Attila has the most acute hearing of any developer I've ever come across!

Como

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

You can do this with the upcoming version... hit \ anywhere in the composition (as long as the Phrase is selected). You can do this in the Composition, no problem. :)

themixtape wrote:You can do this with the upcoming version... hit \ anywhere in the composition (as long as the Phrase is selected). You can do this in the Composition, no problem. :)
Great!

So what happens? After you 'forward slash' ... it asks you which part/ line you want to designate it as?

Also, if selected phrases, i.e., from more than one track, are vertically in sync from multiple tracks, does it just spit those into the new part and bring along the other track sections empty?

I think a lot of people are going to get 'blissed out' when they see all the great new features and feature refinements.

Como

Nothing happens. From there, you can copy that piece, and create a new Part, and paste it there.

We hope that everyone will truly be blissed out (I know I've been). :)

Return to “MusicDevelopments”